It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:30 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Search for the Screwdriver (hack hack hack...) 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: The Search for the Screwdriver (hack hack hack...)
Alain wrote:
...I read somewhere that it takes about 10,000 hours of practice before to be considered as a professional musician. Let's look at it closely...40 hours a week (whick is huge) x 52 weeks...a bit more than 2,000 hours...x 5 years and then you reach these 10,000 hours. If you put half of it that means it can take up to 10 years. You're still young enough to be really good one day. It's not my case. I started at 59...well...and to be honnest, I don't put anymore all these hours on an instrument of music. I just have fun with it. And fun it also part of the game.

...a year is equal to 8760 hours...
...practising an hour per day and you have 10000 hours in about 29 years...
...practising two hours per day we're there in about 15 years...
...practising three hours per day .....

...ten years is a happy end, isn't it :?: ....

Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:11 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I practice when I need to de-Stress
and go off into my own little world.
That's what music does for me.
It's my drug of choice...
Balt-A-Sar wrote:
...a year is equal to 8760 hours...
...practising an hour per day and you have 10000 hours in about 29 years...
...practising two hours per day we're there in about 15 years...
...practising three hours per day .....

...ten years is a happy end, isn't it :?: ....

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:31 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Well, it's not about validation for me; I don't give a rat's ass about anything other than learning how to learn. Being considered a "professional" at this is a lot less appealing than the thrill of being able to play my favorite riff...

All about the music, so for me it's most important to really capitalize on the time spent; bang for the buck kind of thing... I'm learning, slowly but surely.

Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:43 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Small steps. It all adds up. Knowledge is accumulative. There are many aspects to learning music. Technique, vocabulary, ear, expression, creativity, a good wardrobe....all important.
The satisfaction comes from experiencing it all develop with time and effort into art and expression.

Steve A

Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Small steps. It all adds up. Knowledge is accumulative. There are many aspects to learning music. Technique, vocabulary, ear, expression, creativity, a good wardrobe....all important.
The satisfaction comes from experiencing it all develop with time and effort into art and expression.

Steve A

i've got to say this: I like the way you organize your thoughts and put them into words. We all leave bread crumbs about ourselves in the posts we write, more so when we make videos explaining how to approach an instrument ;) anyway, I like the way you organize your thoughts.

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:28 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Steve is amazing. (Teacher, player, composer...) In one hour he changed my attitude towards learning the Stick, turned it upside down. (Poor Stick was being treated like an opponent I think...) Awesome. And then, today Mr Kevin Chiasson reinforced it further! I have learned and progressed more in these two days than the last 6 months. That's the way it feels, anyways.

And Rodrigo, dammit you are just so nice...

I went and did some jamming today after a long talk with Kev, and I lived. LIVED!! Didn't know even one song, but pretended to be a bass player and filled in the spaces as I went and it wasn't too bad. Lots of trickery, faking and even guitar power chord strumming. Fun. Finally. Some musical sunshine...

But you think that lets y'all off the hook for my hacks? ohhh I think not...

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Indeed... Steve A. IS quite an amazing teacher! He gave me a whole new way to think about chords, progressions etc.and yeah, I get it... you can have that type of progress. We are so fortunate to have these cats (Steve, Greg, Dbro et al) sharing their knowledge, wisdom and humor..... I like to take lessons from all of these guys, because they all have a different angle on the Stick. Take DBro.... he has a tool called "Chord Bingo" that is absolutely incredible... And it aint your Granny's Bingo Either.... Steve is a Master of theory/composition/performance and has a very unique style of teaching and conveying information that takes the mystery and fear out of learning theory.... Greg has a very unique way of tailoring lessons to where you are, and also is able to coach you in such away to bring out your strengths. He also embodies everything "STICK" like no one else... :ugeek: ALL HAIL :lol:

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:47 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

NEW EFFIN' HACK!!!

Okay, so after some slaving away at practice I thought I might document some other stuff I was working on, and how I was practicing it. And yes, I'll be doing a lot of these and sharing them, I don't care if they suck or film quality or anything. Quick and dirty, that's how they are made... So yeah, not a tutorial, but more of a "Hey dudes, this is what I'm practicing when I'm working on getting the technical stuff down..."

So yeah, this one is me struggling with life trying to play a simple scale (Not good enough yet to really improvise or be spontaneously melodic over this, so a simple scale was all I could muster, even when I played "in between") over an utterly simple riff; Iron Man.

Apologies in advance for liking such lowbrow music, but this was bloody hard... I shall try again next year and see how I fare, lol... For now, I gotta go work on some Santana...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZnnbWBM6zE[/youtube]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:36 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I think your videos would be a lot better if you spoke rather than wrote out the words. Just my contribution of a pocket screwdriver ... :)

Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:51 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

rwkeating wrote:
I think your videos would be a lot better if you spoke rather than wrote out the words. Just my contribution of a pocket screwdriver ... :)

Naw, I don't want the videos to be perceived as anything more than a sort of collection of what I've been practicing kind of deal. Y'know, I don't want to come off as teaching anything, they are just ideas that I was/am working on... Can't be taken too seriously! lol

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:16 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next