It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

Another Tapping Hack - I use Guitar Pro6 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Another Tapping Hack - I use Guitar Pro6
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5KR_gXwJoM[/youtube]

So yeah, I just wanted to share with you guys this awesome practice tool and how I use it. . I use this all the time, and I feel like it's an inexpensive (yet pro) alternative to Finale or Sibelius. Just my opinions, I hope this helps.

No, it doesn't do "Staff tab". But... That doesn't hurt my feelings; I have Finale and put together a score or two using "Staff tab" and it's really not for me. I have neither the patience or the interest to learn it (Staff tab) at this time; I can already read standard notation pretty well, so really the fingering should be up to me, the player (in my opinion). Also, my plate is full just learning to play, so something has to give. or, maybe I'm just lazy. lol

The key features here in GP6 are these;

1) Custom tunings. Easy as Pie to create.
2) Looping and Speed Trainer. Simple.
3) Fretboard entry system. Simple and fast.
4) Inexpensive. Like, really inexpensive.

So here is the thing, I use it as a 'practice' and improvement tool. I can take a lesson, or a song, and enter it into GP6, and flesh out my arrangement. I can listen to it as it goes, and make decisions on whether or not I like what I have arranged is worthwhile pursuing. GP6 Will run on a piece of crap computer, is compatible with Mac/Windows/Linux. You can export your scores as midi files, and like any scoring program you can enter a variety of instruments, drums, etc.

Tablature for the Stick? Well, it works pretty good. Me, I just consider the "tuned strings" at the 1st fret to be my open strings and go from there. X-fret or 0 fret. Call it what you will.

The real power here is that the scores one creates can be easily modified, and easily transferred. Not everyone can afford Sibelius or Finale, this is like a "scratch pad" where people can jot down their ideas and get playing them...

You can immediately find your "problem area" in a song and loop it as it gradually speeds up until you own it.

Not good enough to play along with Yngwie? Slow it the fuck down and play along! The worst that will happen is that you will only be half as fast as "Yngwie".

The fretboard entry system; Well the "dots" are in the wrong place for us Stick guys, but it's all good. As the score plays you 'see' what notes are being played as it goes. It's a cool feature.

Tuning is a non-issue; simply copy and paste from your RMR template to your "Grand" template to "MR" to whatever. This means multiple people can use the same score and evolve it differently.

Transcribing is fast and easy, and since the Stick is a stringed instrument that shares a lot of the same articulations as guitar or bass, well... it's a no brainer. By the way, There are a LOT of guitar players who use it, that means a LOT of scores out there just waiting for you to download, utilize and modify to your own ends.

Did I mention inexpensive? $60.00 USD Now I'm not affiliated with these guys, but I DO like their software.

Plus, once you are ready for it, Finale or whatever and Stafftab will be waiting for you... as will all of your GP6 Scores...

https://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

I hope this helps, guys!

Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:35 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Another Tapping Hack - I use Guitar Pro6
"Slow it the fuck down and play along".....

Eheh......my dirty little secret.....

cheers,
Oyl Patch

Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lol Kev, you are funny!

One could arguably take a tune one is working on and dump it into a daw like logic, and slow it down. Or use "the amazing slow downer" or something like that. Also, there are tons of score softwares out there that you can "get by" on.

But guitar pro is sooooo slick... A lot of positives!

Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:18 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

This is really cool, thanks for sharing! I was not familiar with that software, I’ll have to check it out.

It’s interesting to hear different perspectives. Other than the note-heads (like you said, it’s easy enough to choose your own fingering), both this and Stafftab give the same info, just presented in a different way. Coming from piano, I’m so used to seeing/reading a grand staff that it makes sense to me. I can understand where this would be much more familiar to someone coming from guitar or bass. And the simplicity of setting up the repeats for practicing seems like a fantastic feature.

Re DAW options for slowing things down, I’ve also used Live for transcribing and practicing. In the session view, it’s really easy to break down a song into sections and slow it down and repeat as needed. (It doesn’t offer any notation options.)

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:01 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yeah, I admit that I am not really a "tab" guy; I would rather just see the notation. With a click I can add or remove it. But, there are lots of folks out there that "tab" really works well for 'em... They just want to play...

GP 6 is a great practice tool in my opinion; When it comes to scoring something and making it look the way it should for engraving purposes, Finale hands down.

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:50 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Jay,

thanks for the tips about GP6. I've been looking at this and it could help me. I checked their website but I have a few questions, can you help?

1) is it possible to setup a bass-clef tuning for the Stick so that the bass tab is drawn upside down to match how we see the bass strings on the Stick (kind of inverted view of the strings)

2) they are offering a deal with an extra instrument right now, does that mean I can do proper drum score in GP6?

3) do you get an iPad license included when you buy GP6 for the Mac or PC?

Thanks for any insight you can share!

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hey! Thanks for checking it out; GP6 is a really great and inexpensive practice tool.

As far as arranging the strings, yes you can put the strings in any order and have the tab show up as such; that's how I do my scores...

And yes, you have always been able to score drums with guitar pro. I know a lot of guys who use it exclusively for composing. Lots of fun.

Now the app licences, hmnn I dunno. I honestly can't remember if I paid for it or not...

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:28 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Well - judging by the reviews on Amazon, GP6 has had a chequered history of bugs and such. You've obviously had a reasonable experience with it, on your Mac. Are you using Yosemite or El Capitan with GP6?
I'm wondering why it's been so long between major releases, and no due date for GP7?
I looked at the tablet version and it's a separate licence for a much more limited product.
So overall it looks like GP6 is worth a try. I'll report back!

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

El Capitan, but I have had it through every Mac OS since Tiger. As far as bugs go, there are a couple of little things that happen every now and again but they get resolved quickly. As far as GP7 goes, I am not sure what is up their sleeve. Again, it's a great practice tool!

The price is right, that is for sure!

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:33 am