It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

Song In A Day - Scarborough Fair 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Song In A Day - Scarborough Fair
Scarborough Fair - Page 6-9 in the Stick book.

It's my "Song in a day" project for today. Just digging in, getting my feet wet learning where to put my fingers... I've tried this a few times and failed miserably. So, today I have a can of Bud Light, my arrangement and my confidence as well as the entire day. At the end of the day, I'll post a video and we can all have a laugh...

Good fun lol.

Sun May 29, 2016 12:32 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Song In A Day - Scarborough Fair
Wrong beer. Way wrong

SA

Sun May 29, 2016 2:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Wrong beer. Way wrong

SA

lol can we still be friends? I love Bud Light, not sure why...

This piece was kicking my ass. Not sure why, but these bits with lots of arpeggio sequences in the bass kill me... I'm starting to win, though. Break time, and I'll come back to it tonight. I am confident I can defeat this thing, and bring it over to my way of thinking...

Sun May 29, 2016 2:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Bud Light , OMG :shock:

Sun May 29, 2016 3:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Let the man drink what he wants... He's on a mission! ;)

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sun May 29, 2016 6:15 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

They drink better beer in a Mission

Sun May 29, 2016 6:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

At the risk of sounding like a west coast douche bag, beer snob; I gotta agree with Steve on the Bud Light.

You're a man on a mission, Scott. Sorry you couldn't make it to Vancouver this year. I greatly admire your dedication to the instrument.

(On a side note, I tried Ommegang's Three-eyed Raven Dark Saison a few nights ago. To quote my lovely wife, "It tastes like Game of Thrones!")

The Radnecks

http://www.theradnecks.com

Sun May 29, 2016 7:15 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
They drink better beer in a Mission

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sun May 29, 2016 7:21 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Awesome. Internet sucks, can't get my vid upped tonight, so I give up on that. Tonight.

Tomorrow, I'll refine it a bit more and post it. I got it all into my memory tonight, but it's so fragile... Delicately recalled.

I'm gonna have ANOTHER Bud light just to spite you guys haha

Jayesskerr wrote:
Okay, as much as it pains me to share this, I'm gonna anyways. It seems I can post some video, so what the heck, eh? Let's blame the Bud Light...

Yesterday's slavery, and THIS is the result. Now, I'm not down on it even though it is an extremely poor performance. It's not a performance, but rather a documentation of where I'm at right after a lot of practice.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NYG7DtW424[/youtube]

So, I started yesterday around 1:30PM. I thought I'd make a routine of it, and see if I couldn't just burn the thing into my mind. No other practicing, no guitar, no nothing. Just Scarborough Fair, and some exercise breaks, maybe play some Nintendo Wii U (Splatoon! Wooo!) and drink some beer...

So first up, I have tried this piece before, but I gave up. It was very disheartening because I am not one to admit defeat easily... So this one little bit of music has been on my mind for quite some time.

Now, admittedly, no one is going to give a rat's ass about this crash and burn of a rendition. And yeah, I know that everyone in this joint can play this song easily and it's old hat to them. But to me, this represents a major move forward, and an attempt at a piece that was a bit beyond me... And now today, one day later I am much, much better at playing it. It's still slow, and there's still a couple of hiccups, but whatever. I win.

So, yesterday at 1:30pm I thought I'd practice this. Focused and disciplined like.I only had one goal; REMEMBER THIS THING...

Here's what I did;

1) Went over the piece in it's entirety as a "sight-reading exercise" a hundred times. Painfully slow, and no sense of rhythm or time. My focus was literally on 1) getting my hands to the right places 2) getting my "hands together/hands separate" kind of habitual... This took about 1.5 hours. The ledger lines on the bass side hurt my mind badly... A small break, consisting of a nap, and then a run was in order...

2) Rearranged the piece, and created a new score that was a bit more "reading friendly". I then practiced each measure, "Hands together" 100 times. This took about an hour. And in all seriousness, after about 30 times I started to daydream a bit, and it was a struggle to keep at it. Took a break, and played some Splatoon while the piece played over and over again... (Listening is practice too!)

3) After the break, I was able to focus a bit better. So now I played the thing in it's entirety, in order 100 times. Very slow, and man did I make a lot of mistakes, but I tried my best and slogged through. At this point I STILL didn't feel like I knew what the hell was what. I was completely chained to the score. Exactly 1 hour and 25 minutes, and it was time for a Bud Light...

4) I decided to play the piece "Hands Separate" along with the Speed Trainer mode in Guitar Pro6. I probably played the melody part 30-40x, and then the bass part 30-40x. The Bass part was the challenging part; I could remember the changes easy enough, it was just tough to get the physical chord changes to happen instinctively. This took an hour.

5) I decided to play the piece (Hands Together) 2 measures at a time about 30-40x. That took about 20 minutes. Then I ran through it 3 measures at a time, and it took even less time, only about 10 minutes. It was the 'overlaps' I felt I needed practice on to help me remember...

6) I then ran through the entire piece about 50 times in "sight-reading" fashion, but it was at this point that the piece was starting to really 'get into my head'. This took about a half hour, and then I went for supper.

7) Coming back to the instrument, I hid my copy of the score, and just tried to remember the damned thing. It's like my memory was being dragged kicking and screaming to recall this, but it finally worked. I could remember the damned thing, and after playing it from memory 10 or so times, I videotaped it. Then I watched it.

Ooooo Nasty... lol Hard to watch.

So, it's painful to watch I know, but I've learned a thing or two from doing these and I thought it would be cool to share the state of the piece right after it's been learned. So delicate. Fragile.

One would think that after all that I'd have the damn thing mastered, right? Not so. For me, anyways, the first step is about just remembering it, and being able to recall it. Get that out of the way, and then refinement is the easier step. So for me, removing everything else besides just 'remembering' is imperative. That's the crucial step. And so far, I am seeing that 1 page of music equals 1 day of hardcore focus. Pretty consistently, actually. Every piece so far seems to correspond to that. Also, as I get better at knowing the layout of the notes on the Stick, it seems to get more efficient.

If anyone has a quicker way of learning this sort of thing in one day, please by all means let me know, hahaha

So yeah, a day to learn it, and then probably a week or so to refine it and make it 'listenable'...

Thoughts?

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Mon May 30, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 29, 2016 8:40 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Sacrosanct wrote:

(On a side note, I tried Ommegang's Three-eyed Raven Dark Saison a few nights ago. To quote my lovely wife, "It tastes like Game of Thrones!")

I need to process that thought for a moment!

Sun May 29, 2016 9:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery