It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:45 am

Song In A Day - Scarborough Fair 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Song In A Day - Scarborough Fair
bachdois wrote:
Great work Scott! You know, that's one of the reasons I focused very early on memorizing left hand arpeggios: I was on a tight schedule to learn a way to be able to learn and perform a bunch of songs in a short period of time: work was not that good and the stick had to pay for itself :) anyway, I would spend a lot of time, and I mean a LOT of time, just playing one chord, up and down, even while doing other stuff, like for instance watching TV, letting the brain work the finger movement out and the body figure out a way to relax while doing it. My main focus was on this! With every new song comes the memorization of a different variation, in a different key, different time signature, inversions, different fingerboard options and the hand movement from one place to the other. But the continuous arpeggio in the left hand is quite simple now that the brain has enough experience with it. As with any other instrument, after a while, the hand knows what to do to keep the ears happy.
Now days, I'm heading the other way: getting out of the left hand arpeggiated triad and moving on to bass lines combined with block chords. And I'm back to square one: one movement at a time, very slowly, feeling very dumb, but pushing it, while my right hand checks emails, plays melodies or whatever, making everything so many times that it will eventually become as easy and natural as holding the stick - on the way to making it become just another part of the body. :)
And you know what? Everyday I feel I'm a little better. So you should be proud of yourself, this video is another landmark. Keep it, it was an important day. Congrats!

This was a really good read... You know, I have tried the same thing, but for some reason I just can't seem to let the arpeggios in the LH just "happen" there is always a diversion of concentration. Kind of frustrating, because I feel like it should be pretty automatic by now. But... It boils down to this; if I cannot execute it properly, I am simply just do not "know" it. Not really. I'm getting there, however. Very, very close to being able to play this piece without any hiccups.

Back to it.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Okay, after a few days practice here is take 2. I enclosed the mutilated markings on my version of the score! hahaha I won't lie or sugarcoat it, it's still really rough! But like I said, this is a real personal victory for me, so I'm sharing it...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXhgTiXCp8I[/youtube]

I played this a ton, and I think that the biggest take away here is familiarity with hand placement, and familiarity with the tune. Once I felt I pretty much "knew it" which was Monday and Tuesday's task, it was time to iron out some of the kinks. The best way to do that was to hammer thew m'effer with a metronome. From 8th notes at 46BPM to 132BPM. My goal was 144, but 132 just about killed me; My reaction time on the changes was terrible.

Then, when I tried to quickly shoot the video, I went back into old habits and train-wrecked a bunch of times. lol I really shouldn't get nervous, but I do... So yeah, tons more work to do!

So all total, probably about 20 hours to get this piece to this point...

Anyways, now this tune is part of my vocabulary. I win.
Attachment:
WP_20160601_22_26_30_Pro.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Major improvement dooder! Very nice man.

From one newb to another, I notice that as you form certain chords in the bass, you lift your finger off the root.......in particular, the chord that falls on the lyric "Scarborough Fair" you lift off the root and use that finger to play the upper voice.

You wanna try to avoid doing this. I'll harp about Gregs elbow movement here,......if you swing your elbow down while you are playing that chord (or any chord for that matter) you will find that you will get all those chord voices to ring off with very little effort.

Just my observation,......
Again dooder,,,,that was really good, and a huge improvement over the last few days,.....so kudos bro!

Cheers,
Kev

Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

One more thing.....during the lyric "parsley sage...." You are starting that chord shape with your middle finger then the fifth with your index. Ergonomically, this is causing you grief because again the root note is being lifted. I think I may have brought this up with you in a previous post.

Use your index finger for the root of that chord and you will see a big difference. Personally, every song I play uses either the index or pinky to hit roots, never do I use my middle or ring finger to hit roots of chords.......give it a try.

Cheers,
Kev

Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

This is a very inspiring thread!

Was the score done in GP6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to check it out, man! Yeah that root note thing has been plaguing me from day one. I might just be following some crazy guitar logic, in regards to the fingering. I can fix that... Thanks for the observations, I am trying to iron that out haha

For now, I am utterly impressed that I can just play the damn thing without too many hiccups! I tried this piece a few times before, but hadn't realized just exactly what kind of commitment I needed to have. I never really made it too far until now, and I can't tell you how happy I am about getting this down. And I have really noticed an improvement in the rest of my playing.

Further refinement and cleanup will go on for the next couple of days on this piece. At the same time, I think some time will be spent working on playing over "Stick Arpeggio" stuff.

Awright, back to practice!

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:36 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Scronk wrote:
This is a very inspiring thread!

Was the score done in GP6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. GP6. Haha you can see how many times I went over the piece yesterday!

Plus, there's the awesome "Speed Trainer" mode... I score out everything I work on, it's very convenient.

Thanks for checking it out!

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:41 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

kevin-c wrote:
One more thing.....during the lyric "parsley sage...." You are starting that chord shape with your middle finger then the fifth with your index. Ergonomically, this is causing you grief because again the root note is being lifted. I think I may have brought this up with you in a previous post.

Use your index finger for the root of that chord and you will see a big difference. Personally, every song I play uses either the index or pinky to hit roots, never do I use my middle or ring finger to hit roots of chords.......give it a try.

Cheers,
Kev
I love that Kev offers such awesome encouragement and also actual practical advice. He's a great cheerleader AND a great coach!

I'm gonna have to think hard about this advice. I tend to use my ring finger to start the roots of chords and I can leave it there and let the middle finger grab the fifth, and the index finger grab the octave (and I'm not using my pinky finger AT ALL yet, which alone bothers me). But I think it depends if you're making chord shapings going "up" or going "down," or shaped like an L versus shaped like half of a T. If I'm making shapes down I think I'm doing what Scott is doing, index on root and the other fingers grabbing notes further away from me.

But I think the crux of your advice is "use the fingers at either end of your hand to get the roots," and since I'm not using my pinky in the left hand at all yet, for me that's my ring finger. I'm going to have to mull that over and see how it works for me.

I'm a bit late to the Scarborough Fair party, Scott, but I see you're making great progress and have really got the forum plugged into your progress! Kudos on both fronts! This is a great cover tune to have in your repertoire and in your arsenal. I see a lot of left hand action in your playing that really shows that you've been working hard on this. Good job!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

mike kemp wrote:
Hey, that is a different way to go about it. I like the hands free mic or over the ear mic or whatever it is called. Singing the melody instead of just an instrumental is something I have tried in the past. It gives your hands the ability for a much fuller accompaniment. It seems like the more advanced Stickists here do mostly instrumental music, playing chords or bass lines with the left and the melody in the right. I have heard some folks say that the Stick and how it sounds is what interests people and vocals over your playing are a distraction. I disagreed fervently at the time, but guess I just started to follow what the more known Stick players were doing anyway. The original idea I had for my Grateful Dead cover was to sing the lyrics while playing the song, but it turned out to be a bit of a stretch on some of the high notes.

Mike

It is a "wireless headset mic". I have heard both sides on the singing Stickist issue. I dare anyone to say Dale Ladouceur or Abby Clutario should put down the mic while playing Stick. If people can play piano and sing, which is a cultural mainstay, people can play Stick and sing. Still, it is not a requirement, either. Did you consider modulating the Grateful Dead song to fit your singing range?

Jayesskerr wrote:

I played this a ton, and I think that the biggest take away here is familiarity with hand placement, and familiarity with the tune. Once I felt I pretty much "knew it" which was Monday and Tuesday's task, it was time to iron out some of the kinks. The best way to do that was to hammer thew m'effer with a metronome. From 8th notes at 46BPM to 132BPM. My goal was 144, but 132 just about killed me; My reaction time on the changes was terrible.

Then, when I tried to quickly shoot the video, I went back into old habits and train-wrecked a bunch of times. lol I really shouldn't get nervous, but I do... So yeah, tons more work to do!

So all total, probably about 20 hours to get this piece to this point...

Anyways, now this tune is part of my vocabulary. I win.

It is miles ahead of the first recording. You got this at 100%. If you get it to 150%, then there won't be a setting where you will make appreciable mistakes.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:00 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

paigan0 wrote:
kevin-c wrote:

Cheers,
Kev
I love that Kev offers such awesome encouragement and also actual practical advice. He's a great cheerleader AND a great coach!

I'm gonna have to think hard about this advice. I tend to use my ring finger to start the roots of chords and I can leave it there and let the middle finger grab the fifth, and the index finger grab the octave (and I'm not using my pinky finger AT ALL yet, which alone bothers me). But I think it depends if you're making chord shapings going "up" or going "down," or shaped like an L versus shaped like half of a T. If I'm making shapes down I think I'm doing what Scott is doing, index on root and the other fingers grabbing notes further away from me.

But I think the crux of your advice is "use the fingers at either end of your hand to get the roots," and since I'm not using my pinky in the left hand at all yet, for me that's my ring finger. I'm going to have to mull that over and see how it works for me.

I'm a bit late to the Scarborough Fair party, Scott, but I see you're making great progress and have really got the forum plugged into your progress! Kudos on both fronts! This is a great cover tune to have in your repertoire and in your arsenal. I see a lot of left hand action in your playing that really shows that you've been working hard on this. Good job!

I lied.....I can now think of one instance where I use my ring finger for the root......but only in one chord in one song.....not sure why that is, maybe its a position shift thingy.

Any time you play a chord with a root, fifth, tenth,.....always,always,always strike the root with your index otherwise its gonna be near impossible to strike the tenth without some serious hand gymnastics.

Index
Middle
Ring
Pinky

Bass side chords

-----I----------
----M---------- right way to form this shape
------------P--

----M---------
-----I--------- Brutal way to form this shape, try it and see if you can play the 10th without
-----------P--- calling 911

Another example... root, 4th, octave

----------------P
----M----------- correct
-----I-----------

----------------R
-----M--------- brutal stretch
------I----------

Of course, there are no rules, and these are just two examples......but we all want to achieve ease of playing these shapes and if you go ahead and try the finger positions I've laid out correct and incorrect, you'll see how much easier it is to play it right.

cheers,
kev

Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery