It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:53 am

railboard hand positioning question 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post railboard hand positioning question
So I'm just starting and am just familiarizing myself with the board. I'm currently just chromatically running up and down the board so I get some hand proprioception and get the feel of tapping instead of fretting/plucking.

now the railboard has that nice thumb pocket along the keel, which is super duper comfy, but as I move to strings closer to the center of the board my hand seems to flatten out a bit and I find myself wanting to move more toward the "thumb on edge" position there the thumb chamfer exists on the more traditional (can we apply that yet to the stick?) - to gain a little more finger arch.

it's not uncomfortable, but I do find it a bit of a positional and technique shift (right now, it feels like two distinct playing positions --sort of like when you have to go into thumb position on a 'cello) that I'd like to smooth out and not develop bad habits that will limit me later.

Mon May 30, 2016 10:03 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: railboard hand positioning question
Contact Greg Howard for some lessons. You will save yourself a lot of time and hurt.... He can help you with positioning, ergonomics and hand movement. well worth the time for sure.

Mon May 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: railboard hand positioning question
I have about 2 weeks left on my current job contract which is a bit of a schedule killer.
[personal note : holy crap the currents underwater today were completely bonkers]
but will do after that.
I don't want to start out with bad habits

Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:47 pm