It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Summer Sabbatical (Kind Of) What to work on Now? 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Summer Sabbatical (Kind Of) What to work on Now?
Hi all. Im sad to say I need surgery related to prostate removal due to cancer. Good News is Its caught early so everything looks good for the future. ( So Guys get your PSA number and keep an eye on it Im 51 so never expected to have an issue so soon or at all really)
Anyway Im turning lemons into lemonade so to speak and focusing on music while Im off work for 3 months. I cant lift anything over ten pounds for a while so Luckiy the Stick is under that . Yeah.

My question to all of you is this... If you had 4 to 5 hours a day to practice what would you work on? Im trying to find a system of things or practice routines you use to work on. So far its just learn a tune and the chords that go with it. I thought Id ask for feedback from you all about what you would work on. Scales and patterns perhaps any literature out there like pattern books ?

Ideas??? Suggestions?? Tips??

Thanks everyone

Rob

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:48 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Summer Sabbatical (Kind Of) What to work on Now?
Whoa. Totally on your situation. Had a bit of an elevated PSA number just last week but luckily a good diagnosis from the doc. Age will do wacky things to your body.
I wish all the best in your surgery and recovery. I'll be thinking on you.
If you need any musical advice give a holler. First know the agenda, get well.
Wishing you a speedy and full recovery

Steve A

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Rob, I had prostate cancer at 38 (my grandfather died from it and I had a new doctor who gave me a PSA test. It's actually a long and gruesome story and probably Too Much Information, but I celebrated my 8th year cancer and prostate free last and every Cinco de Mayo.) I'm 46 and I've finally almost completely recovered after 8 years. I had a prostetectomy (full removal of the prostate) and Da Vinci robotic surgery.

I can and would love to go into great detail as to my experiences and my almost 100% full recovery (except for shooting "blanks" now--see my TMI comment). I'll tell you more on PM later and over the next few however it takes to get you back to normal. :) I have lots of encouragement for you and some also graphic stories, but I'll spare the community. :shock:

Yes, check your PSA if you have balls and you're 45 (or 40, or 38 in my case!)--your life does depend on it.

Sorry for that hijack. I can respond also on the practice thing, but I thought I'd lead with that!

Brother Steve

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Hi Rob and Steve,

...best whishes for the health for both of you...

Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:13 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Jzzb8ovn wrote:
...My question to all of you is this...

...sorry forgot your main reason for your post...
...look at DO'z Editions, located in France but with a lot of canadian
composers...
...they have some hundreds of guitar collections, and most of them
work best for the stick too...

Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:17 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Glad to hear you are on the mend man! I like simple Bach pieces. Minuets are a great learning tool. It's like scales, theory and fingerbuilding all built into one.

Maybe you can join us on a FHF? Let us know if you want to be included.

Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Thanks all for the kind wishes. It's great having such a great close community on all levels.

Thanks Balt a Zar I'll look for those books although I've not heard of them . Gene I'll probably join in on all FHF s as they are always educational and entertaining. An amazing resource for us stickists.

Anyone have any practice routines they work on regularly?

Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:59 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Another one you can do, a la Pirate Bruce, is work on improvising over motors. Pick a LH or RH pattern and see what the other hand can do without losing the first hand. This is always valuable.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:45 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Jzzb8ovn wrote:
...look for those books although I've not heard of them...

...simply look here: www.productionsdoz.com ...
...perfect page and you can comand easy...

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:29 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yes, I am 52 , eeeks , time is marching on.
Anyway this is a good topic. When I come to the Pirateship I make a little map of what to try and achieve in a month.
I find working a few different things in short chunks is good.
Some of stuff I do>
/pick a note, find it on both bass and melody side in as many places as you can all in a minute or so. do it for octaves also. You kind of force yourself to learn the fretboard fully, I should do this more!
/same for chords, where can I do an Am and so on , on both sides.
/how is that chord spelled on the neck, whats the first inversion.
/for technique, like mentioned above I really work lots at the moment on keeping that left hand groove going whilst truly improvising on the melody side. I have found this to achieve properly where the rhythm of the two hands are not strictly related in divisions of the beat very very hard. Just tapping out straight 4/4 on my right hand was surprisingly hard against an off beat left hand thing , but again I dont labour it for long periods but do it very regularly.
/pick something achievable!
/I like Genes idea about Bach , since I once studied classical guitar, but its makes sense as something that can be done and give progress.
/sometimes just have fun doing what you can play , looking for little enhancements to it to improve it and execute it better, but dont spend the whole time doing what you can already do, this was one of my problems.
/After lessons with Steve, I dug out a very old copy of a copy of the Real Book and whilst not a Jazz Guy some of these were great to do, looking at ways to play the chord progression on the left hand and then drop in the main melody on the right, it does not have to be very complex to get the tune going. I look at the progression and give myself 30 minutes to get something happening, doesnt always happen!
/I also try to exploit the dynamics as a technical exercise , I think there is lots of scope here through vibrato and attack and so on, eventually defining your own sound in some ways.

Not sure if thats any value but how we practice as well as what we practice can be a big thing. And have a have a Great Healthy summer. :ugeek:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery