Multiple Donor

Post Re: Triad Inversions;
Phew, good stuff, but like Kev said above..... :o

Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

lol it got kind of cerebral there, eh? I am thinking that the easiest approach is to just play 'em, and rationalize and dissect later...

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:49 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

It's just three notes. Not hard like computer stuff. Now that's difficult.

SA

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

It's really good to know where the thirds and 4ths are in the chords and inversions you are playing, and on The Stick the geometry is easy to learn.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Well, I pretty much got 'em at this point. No tricks or shortcuts required. Got the triads, and I know the notes. Single string, across the strings, and in 3 string groupings, and 145 nearest inversion - Bass and melody side. I practice everything in cycle of 4ths (yes, you read right 4ths) so I got these in all twelve keys, or diatonic to major, melodic minor and harmonic minor.

A good starting point I think, good enough for a while... on to the next thing.

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:12 am

Use open (triad) voicings too. They are vastly underplayed by Stick players in the RH.

Mirror what your left hand does - in your right hand.
e.g. play a first inversion open voiced Dmaj or variation in the right hand (arpeggiated in any fashion or simply droned, or on a beat pattern - i.e. comping for…the LH).
and solo in D maj in the left hand. using Pentatonic or modal scales - whatever - use Root V until you get it down.
(in fact it's good to know where the root and V are for the entire fretboard. Know the notes)

Learn to play all the (closed and open) diatonic triads through in the major, and then harmonic minor, and jazz melodic minor scales. Both hands. All inversions. Chord-scales.

Eventually invest time in the jazz melodic minor - it’s really cool as far as pushing yourself to learn augmented and diminished triads / and 4 note voicings (and in all inversions!) and upper structure. Plus it sounds great. Use a piano to help you understand it if you can’t get it down with the Stick by itself. It's a whole thing and sound unto itself.

As we probably all know the triads often are the upper voicings. Over a LH C7 (C E Bb or C Bb E) the major triads D, Eb, Gb, Ab, and A are good for altered voicings, learned in all inversions - good for voice leading. Transpose. Try some for funk or jazz vamps.
Polychords…

Flip things around and play lower sounding notes in the RH and maybe higher one or two voiced notes in the LH.*
Like finger picking/strum applications. Use parts of both sides to make up triads - the LH doesn’t always have to have the ‘bass’ note, or the root or V. Switch roles. Switch sides.

Learn II V, or I iV, or V I progressions (major, minor, and a mixture) and I VI II V progressions in major and minor (LH root, triads in the RH). Start simple, don’t jump until you’ve absorbed it. It’s basic voice leading with inversions. Eventually substitutions will be made, for variety sake.

Say the chord quality and the notes out loud as you exercise through the triads or voicings in any given scale.
Out loud. Speak them. Know where every note is. Until you absorb it, you will flounder. As do I...;>)
Where the hell is that Abmin9?

Go slow.

*edited post - I forgot to quantify/qualify that I play a grand which allows for more range and note cross-over between both hands, to match each other note for note (vs on an 8 or 10 string), and that I typically use 4 fingers on both sides, which for RH open voiced triads offers a lot more roaming capability with the pinky and 4 note voicings (aka "triad + color notes"). There are a number of ways to finger RH open voiced triads - try to work through all the approaches and the convenient ones will become apparent. RH Open triads over LH open triads (polychords) in the mid-range sound really nice and big and when arpeggiated are great strumming guitar equivalents.

Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:16 pm