It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

Dumb newbie question - open strings? 

Post Re: Dumb newbie question - open strings?
sagehalo wrote:
bholder wrote:
Thanks Greg! Sounds worth investigating that tuning further. I wish it was a real Stick, maybe someday.

Whoa! What instrument are you playing? Not all instruments setup equally well. The Stick has a lot of patented tech on it designed to make it a precision tapping instrument. Other instruments range in quality and intent of design.

It's a Kevin Siebold tapper, configured like a 10 string classic tuning. I wanted a Stick, but finally gave up and got this after years of failed bids on ebay. I was able to improve the high string response by raising that side of the pickup, no individual polepieces on this one. I think my issues are primarily inexperience, getting a bit better every time I practice. But I won't be putting any real Stickists out of a job any time soon.
;)

Grand Stick #1406
10 string Kevin Siebold "teflon" (non-Stick)

Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:53 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

You seem to know that the distance between the string and the pickup is critical for volume. I think you still have a few choices with your instrument. On the setup side, see if the high strings are as low as the other strings. If not, see if you can adjust the bridge and nut to reduce the distance. I assume you have the truss adjusted where you want it. This is crucial for tapping instruments for volume and dynamic range. As an end run if you need to, just invest in a good equalizer. This is not the best choice, because it will affect all strings, not just the high ones. You can always ask Kevin Siebold for advice, since he made it after all.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:58 pm

sagehalo wrote:
You seem to know that the distance between the string and the pickup is critical for volume. I think you still have a few choices with your instrument. On the setup side, see if the high strings are as low as the other strings. If not, see if you can adjust the bridge and nut to reduce the distance. I assume you have the truss adjusted where you want it. This is crucial for tapping instruments for volume and dynamic range. As an end run if you need to, just invest in a good equalizer. This is not the best choice, because it will affect all strings, not just the high ones. You can always ask Kevin Siebold for advice, since he made it after all.

Thanks, I already asked him and got pretty much the same advice as here. I was hoping more for any applicable technique hints here moreso than gear setup advice, but I'll take whatever help I can get from where ever I can get it. :D I've been tinkering with it further and now have the action much lower and pickup higher and the volume is indeed better. Practice is of course helping a lot too. May replace the pickups with some with adjustable polepieces eventually. Well, eventually, I'll get a real Stick if I prove to myself I can "stick" with it! ;)

Thanks again everyone.

Grand Stick #1406
10 string Kevin Siebold "teflon" (non-Stick)

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:21 pm