It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

Stafftab for Mirrored 4ths? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Stafftab for Mirrored 4ths?
I've had a few folks ask me about this, and so I got to wondering if there was a stafftab solution for mirrored 4ths tuning. I'm pretty comfortable with good 'ole standard notation, but I figured it was worth a discussion... Thanks in advance!

Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:47 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Stafftab for Mirrored 4ths?
The tuning is generally noted on the page and the specific tuning notes for each string listed at the start of the first grand staff. So I think all you'd have to do is note it as being in mirrored 4ths and list the notes used per staff "string". StaffTab just adds info for which string, finger, and fret to use for the specific arrangement.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:51 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yeah, for me it seems like the "hard way" is the easy way, just learn the notes and recognize them for what they are, as they are. Writing in fret positions over the note stem seems a bit like an extra step, to me, but everyone is different. Heck, if it helps me improve my own reading I'll try it. Now Ledger lines, those seem a bit whacky...

Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:40 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I was answering your original question: StaffTab is tuning-agnostic, it can be used for any tuning.

The question to use StaffTab or not will depend. I consider it mostly as a way to document a specific way of playing a notated piece. I don’t personally make StaffTab arrangements for myself. The only reason I’d do a StaffTab arrangement is to share it with others.

When I’m learning a piece, I generally write in fret numbers (in pencil, since they’ll change as I progress). I don’t do it for every note, usually just at reference points, so it’s easier for me to progress quickly while I’m still learning and memorizing the piece. What fret, finger, or string I use will evolve as I learn it.

As far as I know, StaffTab isn’t really intended for sight-reading, it would only slow things down as there’s a lot of information to parse. However, it makes it possible for people who are still learning notation to learn written pieces, it provides enough information that you don’t actually need to know notation to learn the piece.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:15 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Claire wrote:
I was answering your original question: StaffTab is tuning-agnostic, it can be used for any tuning.

The question to use StaffTab or not will depend. I consider it mostly as a way to document a specific way of playing a notated piece. I don’t personally make StaffTab arrangements for myself. The only reason I’d do a StaffTab arrangement is to share it with others.

When I’m learning a piece, I generally write in fret numbers (in pencil, since they’ll change as I progress). I don’t do it for every note, usually just at reference points, so it’s easier for me to progress quickly while I’m still learning and memorizing the piece. What fret, finger, or string I use will evolve as I learn it.

As far as I know, StaffTab isn’t really intended for sight-reading, it would only slow things down as there’s a lot of information to parse. However, it makes it possible for people who are still learning notation to learn written pieces, it provides enough information that you don’t actually need to know notation to learn the piece.

So I guess it's safe to say that it's probably really intended for the "decoding" process; helping get a particular fingering down? I myself don't use stafftab either, I'm asking for a couple of friends! Thanks for your insights, good to know.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:33 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Helps Newbs like me too. I can't look at a grand staff and know a note without counting up from C or G etc. Add the difficulty with reading regular notation, and no internet so no teacher, and staff tab is a life saver.

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:58 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
So I guess it's safe to say that it's probably really intended for the "decoding" process; helping get a particular fingering down?

That’s probably a fair way to put it, by default StaffTab includes fingering info. Like I said, it really depends on the situation. There are ways StaffTab can help someone who is new either to the Stick or to notation.

For someone who is new to the Stick, it can be a way of showing a way to play music they already know on an unfamiliar instrument. Choosing where to play on the fretboard, how to go about where to change over to the next string vs continuing up the string, which notes to play with which hand, etc are all choices that a beginner might have a hard time with. Reading a StaffTab piece lets them learn the piece without having to make those choices on their own, the person who arranged it for Stick has already done that. From there, as the learner gets better, they can look at what choices were made, figure out why, and make their own choices as to continuing to play it as arranged or changing it to suit them. For learning examples, StaffTab gives a concise way to provide specific info for technical/practice exercises.

For someone new to notation, it provides the information of where to play the notes on the fretboard that could allow the learner to visually start making the connections with the notes they’re playing, correlating the staff notes to the fretboard.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:19 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

ArmyDoc wrote:
Helps Newbs like me too. I can't look at a grand staff and know a note without counting up from C or G etc. Add the difficulty with reading regular notation, and no internet so no teacher, and staff tab is a life saver.

If you learn the intervals visually, it can be bit quicker to find notes (line to the next line or space to next space = 3rd, line to second line = 5th, etc.) http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/30

Also (more to Scott's point about ledger lines), I use the grand staff middle C as a reference. I know the ledger line below the treble clef is middle C and I know that the one below that is A. The two ledger lines above treble clef are the same - A up to C. The same thing happens in the bass clef but reversed. Above the staff it's C up to E, it's E down to C below it. That two note grouping is the same above and below each respective staff. I use that as a quick reference to know the first two ledger lines in both clefs.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:38 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:

So I guess it's safe to say that it's probably really intended for the "decoding" process; helping get a particular fingering down? I myself don't use stafftab either, I'm asking for a couple of friends! Thanks for your insights, good to know.

StaffTab is definitely a "learning" notation system, perhaps too dense for sight-reading. Fingering is a huge thing when trying to learn a piece, IMO, especially since most music doesn't conform to neat and tidy scale/fingering patterns.

In the original StaffTab, the strings were identified by numbers, but for the SongBook, this convention was changed to match the note names at the X-fret (or nut on an older instrument with the first inlay at the second tappable fret).

So for 6 Classic bass strings you would have:

C
G
D
A
E
B

but for Mirrored 4ths like Rob Martino uses you would have:

E
A
D
G
C
F

For those at Interlochen, I'll be offering a discussion class on tips for reading standard notation. Looking forward to it...

Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Claire wrote:
ArmyDoc wrote:

If you learn the intervals visually, it can be bit quicker to find notes (line to the next line or space to next space = 3rd, line to second line = 5th, etc.) http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/30

Also (more to Scott's point about ledger lines), I use the grand staff middle C as a reference. I know the ledger line below the treble clef is middle C and I know that the one below that is A. The two ledger lines above treble clef are the same - A up to C. The same thing happens in the bass clef but reversed. Above the staff it's C up to E, it's E down to C below it. That two note grouping is the same above and below each respective staff. I use that as a quick reference to know the first two ledger lines in both clefs.

That's helpful. I use the mnemonic "Can every good boy do fine always?" To fi d the notes on the lines. As yoy said, C startz two lines below the bass cleff, in betweent the two, and 2 lines above tfeble clef. But I only know where middle C, C above and below middle C, and G in the treble clefc instantly. Everything else takes a second or two.

One the piano, thats good enough to play slowly. On the stick, not so much, because I have to think about when the string change is. I'm still thinking in piano and translating to stick, for lack of a better description.

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:22 pm