It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am

Owner Of a Lonely Heart is good for you... 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Owner Of a Lonely Heart is good for you...
Recently, Jayesskerr posted a quick take of Owner Of A Lonely Heart. It's here...
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?t ... 35#p107235

I never thought of playing this song on Stick, but it turns out to be a really good one to tackle. It seems to be kind of a perfect balance of easy yet challenging to build / strengthen hand independence. If you play the bass line with the slide from B to C and syncopate the D correctly, you find that the bass line weaves in and out of time with the melody. Good stuff.

Additionally, I'm working on my version with a little different arrangement, where I'm playing the bass line and arpeggiating the chords in the left hand as opposed to the bass line and block chords in Jayesskerr's version. That sets up a cool little drill where when the left and right hands sync on the B to C bit, my left hand is doing a slide with my index finger while my right hand is play B to C with two fingers. Makes your brain think of two things at once.

Anyway, thought I'd toss these comments out there and encourage anyone who knows the song (I'm guessing most of us) to give it a try. I'm getting a surprising amount of good out of it and it's a pretty cool tune to add.

Peace

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:55 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Owner Of a Lonely Heart is good for you...
Hey man, thanks for checking my stuff out! much appreciated! That riff is a tricky one, but I prepared for it by messing around with using "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath as a vehicle to improvise over. Sounds lame, but I learned a lot by doing that. Really helped! Also, I'm in a slightly different tuning (Mirrored 4ths) so you will definitely be able to come up with a much bigger/more interesting interpretation of this tune using 5ths tuning... :D Heck, I am just happy I can play...

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:04 pm