It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 am

Bass Side Sequences Video 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Bass Side Sequences Video
I thought I'd share a few of the bass side sequences I have worked out; I had a few requests to actually share some ideas, so I will. It's a small part of what I practice with the Stick, but it's been handy and one idea leads to another! :D

Any song I am working on where I get the choice of what I want to do in the accompaniment gets practiced with all of them, and although I just demo'ed these as one chord (Amin - vimin in C Major) I transpose them diatonically throughout the key, and then throughout all 12 keys - Usually a different key each day. Also, I try to create variations on these as well just for fun.

I actually now practice about twice as many as I showed, but these are the ones I drew from for the last 30 or so tunes I posted...

It's a starting point, maybe it gives somebody else some ideas... Happy Friday the 13th :D

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:18 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Bass Side Sequences Video
When I practice a new tune (Realbook type tunes) I usually superimpose these sequences under the melodic stuff. I have about 8 or so "new" bass side sequences I am working on now...

Lemme know what y'all think... :D

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:37 am

Post Re: Bass Side Sequences Video
Nicely done.

You are smart to vary things up rhythmically between the bass and melody.

I have, at various times, fallen into the trap of practicing sequences where left and right hands lock together too much and, as a result, when I have to change speed or rhythm with one hand (usually melody), I throw myself off. Its amazing how quickly your brain gets used to both hands doing the same or similar things with sudden brain farts being the result when you try to get them to do something different!

Getting a good repertoire of bass-side motors can be the foundation for a lot of good work. To come up with ideas, I usually start with the tried and true root-five-octave and branch out with variations from there.

One simple bass-side example is:
Root-five-octave-five-ninth-octave-fifth-octave
Root-five-octave-five-minor tenth-octave-five-octave
Root-five-octave-five-major tenth-octave-five-octave

The trick is while you start with the basic fingering of middle-ring-index for the root-five-octave, you have to hit the second occurrence of the 5th with your middle finger to make the rest of it work. Also, the reaches for the minor and major tenth force me to move my hand so I cannot go full metal typewriter with my hand locked in one constipated position.

I also like how on Stick bass in 5ths, you can easily play simple arpeggios on two or three strings with your index and pinky 3 frets apart and sort of rocking back and forth. Starting with index on a string for two notes and then rocking onto the second string for two notes you get a minor 7th arpeggio over two adjacent strings (e.g. index C, pinky Eb, index G, pinky Bb). Similarly, if you start on your pinky, you hit, say, Eb with your pinky, hit G with your index on the next string up, then Bb with pinky, and then D with your index on the next string up, you get a major 7 arpeggio. These fall under the fingers pretty well and can serve as the launching off point for other motors.

Sorry. Diagrams would have worked better than my written descriptions....but I'm lazy.....

Ancient 10-String Brazilian Ironwood #881

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:17 am