It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Next Level Stuff 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Next Level Stuff
Well, you know. Find a challenge, some sort of obstacle - figure out the reasons behind it, then solve it. Then, it's on to the next challenge...

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:58 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I remember how much a was able to get from Free Hands when I first started. Great lessons. I doubt anyone would say I play "like Emmett" (though there would be worse things people could say about my music).

If someone has taken the time to offer a systematic approach to learning a skill, then dive in if you think it will take you where you want to go. You can always come up for air if you need to ;)

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
I remember how much a was able to get from Free Hands when I first started. Great lessons. I doubt anyone would say I play "like Emmett" (though there would be worse things people could say about my music).

If someone has taken the time to offer a systematic approach to learning a skill, then dive in if you think it will take you where you want to go. You can always come up for air if you need to ;)

Probably why I am not improving on this instrument.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:02 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Why do people play musical instruments?

Researchers studying the benefits of music have reported that playing a musical instrument on a regular basis can help bring down stress. Studies show that playing an instrument helps in lowering the heart rate and blood pressure, which in turn lowers the stress hormone cortisol, thus making us feel relaxed.

It's for this reason that I play the Chapman Stick.
I play while laying down on my back (with my eyes closed).
No sight reading, no trying to get it right, just playing whatever sound that I hear in my head.

And... it works. It helps me relax.
I play every day and I really enjoy the instrument.
I'm glad that I bought it and it will be around for a very long time.

My #404 vintage stick will turn 40 next year. 8-)

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:33 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Probably why I am not improving on this instrument.[/quote]

Sometimes it’s hard to see our own progress, but you are DFINATELY getting better. The amount of effort and the path is different for everyone but we all get better with effort. And there are some things which some of us will not achieve due to physical or learning difficulties. Scott I think lessons with a new teacher is always a great refresher. I am in my second month of study with a master viola player at Yale, what a great and humbling way to revitalize your approach

Brett

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Oh, I was being sarcastic. I know I am making regular, and rapid strides.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

And some of us don’t pick up on sarcasm.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Quote:
I created a small block to go underneath the Lapdog, basically it interrupts the RS leg of the Lap Dawg from extending the entire way, thereby raising it about 2.5in on the RH side, creating a bit of an angle for the neck. Carries over nicely to standing position with conventional belthook. It's raised up just enough so that my RH doesn't crash into my leg, nor does my RH hand/wrist "angle" in a way that locks out the way it was. It literally felt like hitting an obstacle trying to get those higher positions.

There should have been an extra pair of 10-24 hex head set screw stops that are longer than the ones which are installed when delivered. The extra set screws are 7/8" instead of the normal 5/8" ones that come installed and they're intended for those who want more of an angle than the short ones can provide. They're part of the accessory kit that comes with the Lap Dawg in the same little ziploc bag with the hex driver and belt hook lift spacer. Those 7/8" screws (or one on the right side only) should give you the angle you're going for without makeshift solutions.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:22 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Captain Strings wrote:
Quote:
I created a small block to go underneath the Lapdog, basically it interrupts the RS leg of the Lap Dawg from extending the entire way, thereby raising it about 2.5in on the RH side, creating a bit of an angle for the neck. Carries over nicely to standing position with conventional belthook. It's raised up just enough so that my RH doesn't crash into my leg, nor does my RH hand/wrist "angle" in a way that locks out the way it was. It literally felt like hitting an obstacle trying to get those higher positions.

There should have been an extra pair of 10-24 hex head set screw stops that are longer than the ones which are installed when delivered. The extra set screws are 7/8" instead of the normal 5/8" ones that come installed and they're intended for those who want more of an angle than the short ones can provide. They're part of the accessory kit that comes with the Lap Dawg in the same little ziploc bag with the hex driver and belt hook lift spacer. Those 7/8" screws (or one on the right side only) should give you the angle you're going for without makeshift solutions.

Hmmm, I will check my boxes when I get home!

Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:06 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Nope, no screws in there, but I got it resolved well enough to suit me. :D

Here is kind of what I was talking about in regards to next level for myself, kind of a starting point.
Solving it. Thanks again for your suggestions, guys.

https://soundcloud.com/jayesskerr/stick-strength

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:48 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next