It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Next Level Stuff 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Next Level Stuff
FORE!! ~ Arnold Palmer

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

"One, two, five!"

—Arthur, King of the Britons...

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Jayesskerr wrote:
3) Actual hand position. When I am on the highest frets/rails and seated, My actual leg gets in the way of my right hand, and the angle that my hand is at feels a bit like I am in some sort of wristlock. Definitely an impedance, and it's not too conducive to playing notes quickly and getting any kind of tone - looking to solve this... Tag interface perhaps? Or the Stick Chair?

Now, obviously the best way to access those higher notes would be to raise up the Stick, however that would put the lower notes (which I also need to access) way over my head.

Any thoughts/ideas are welcome. Lemme know.

Hi,
I don't know if this will help you but when I got my first stick and decided I was going to play sitting down, I looked for as many ways as possible to play comfortably.
It was somewhere in this forum that I saw a post suggesting (don't laugh) a marching band harness. I don't remember which instrument it was for but found one on line, ordered it, and find it quite comfortable for both standing and sitting. Here are three photos;
1. The harness
2. Me wearing the harness
3. Me wearing the harness and the stick.

It works for me and no notes are unreachable. The harness is fully adjustable for height. Hope this helps.

cheers
Harry

My Shiny Railboard #6978

Last edited by lminor7 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:20 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hey, man cool reply thanks for the idea - it's an option! :D

But a question, don't you find it kind of difficult to get some of the low notes with how it's positioned? It seems to me that with the Stick raised way up there, the frets 1-4 are almost inaccessible without doing some kind of weird over arm stretch. Still I could try it as I only need to elevate it, like 3 inches... Also, does the Stick rest against your body? Thanks for taking the time to post, I appreciate it!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:17 pm

Jayesskerr wrote:
Hey, man cool reply thanks for the idea - it's an option! :D

But a question, don't you find it kind of difficult to get some of the low notes with how it's positioned? It seems to me that with the Stick raised way up there, the frets 1-4 are almost inaccessible without doing some kind of weird over arm stretch. Still I could try it as I only need to elevate it, like 3 inches... Also, does the Stick rest against your body? Thanks for taking the time to post, I appreciate it!

Ah Yes...Your point is well taken. But what actually happened is the following. In my haste to provide a helpful response, I neglected to include my "stick" posture in the photo. My "pianist" posture as photographed, resembles a question mark when viewed in profile.

I can say this; sitting up straight gives me much more comfortable access to the lowest notes, which happen to be my favorite ones 8-)

Also, the adjustments on the harness can be manipulated so that either side could be made higher or lower as desired. If you wanted to play with the instrument perfectly vertical, for instance, you can quickly adjust the front / center of the harness to be higher on the left side. I found that I could adjust the angle of the instrument from that of Greg Howard all the way to that of Steve Adelson or Trey Gunn. Once I found the optimal position for me, I secured the harness straps with buttons so that I would never have to find the correct position again.
It's probably not for everyone, but with an overall shape such as mine, it works :oops:
Adjustments to the individual lengths of the harness straps allow me to customize the feel and distance of the instrument to my body, both upper and lower. A bit about playing while standing; since the bottom of the stick is not secured, an animated performance could produce a pendulum effect. I haven't found this to be a problem, but thought it was worth mentioning :-)
Hope this helps, and as you say, it's an option!

Cheers
Harry

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:38 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hey! :D Thanks for your replies, gents. I have found a solution to this without totally increasing the height of the Stick, or compromising any of the other notes or playing options that I want. It took an evening of some trial and error, but I am (for the moment) pretty happy as I pretty much solved the issue myself. The thread was great for reference, though.

I created a small block to go underneath the Lapdog, basically it interrupts the RS leg of the Lap Dawg from extending the entire way, thereby raising it about 2.5in on the RH side, creating a bit of an angle for the neck. Carries over nicely to standing position with conventional belthook. It's raised up just enough so that my RH doesn't crash into my leg, nor does my RH hand/wrist "angle" in a way that locks out the way it was. It literally felt like hitting an obstacle trying to get those higher positions.

I know it's probably not "proper" Stick technique, but I'm a guitarist and a pretty good one so I figure that I can now use my "grasping" legato technique with both hands, any note I want on my instrument of choice, Bass, guitar or Stick. Fast as f**k, clean and loud 16th note single string 4's with my A Harmonic minor sequence 180BPM and climbing. At about 120bpm using GH type hand movement, and 144bpm using tap-tap-tap-slide.

I'm hoping to hit a pretty consistent 16ths at 200bpm within the next couple of weeks using all three methods of articulating - I will be quite happy if I can because that means that all of my guitar stuff will translate to this instrument and I can really start working on my subdivision, odd note groupings and accents.

:D I'm really looking forward to sharing some playing with you guys in the near future...

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:02 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

The best I ever heard technique described was as a way to make a sound happen. So long as you can repeat it, make it clean and aren't hurting yourself by doing it over and over, it's proper technique in my opinion

http://www.patreon.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/GEPHband
http://www.facebook.com/thebodyenglish
http://www.facebook.com/theafrocircus

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:32 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The_Afro_Circus wrote:
The best I ever heard technique described was as a way to make a sound happen. So long as you can repeat it, make it clean and aren't hurting yourself by doing it over and over, it's proper technique in my opinion

I think so too.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:07 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

lminor7 wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
3) Actual hand position. When I am on the highest frets/rails and seated, My actual leg gets in the way of my right hand, and the angle that my hand is at feels a bit like I am in some sort of wristlock. Definitely an impedance, and it's not too conducive to playing notes quickly and getting any kind of tone - looking to solve this... Tag interface perhaps? Or the Stick Chair?

Now, obviously the best way to access those higher notes would be to raise up the Stick, however that would put the lower notes (which I also need to access) way over my head.

Any thoughts/ideas are welcome. Lemme know.

Hi,
I don't know if this will help you but when I got my first stick and decided I was going to play sitting down, I looked for as many ways as possible to play comfortably.
It was somewhere in this forum that I saw a post suggesting (don't laugh) a marching band harness. I don't remember which instrument it was for but found one on line, ordered it, and find it quite comfortable for both standing and sitting. Here are three photos;
1. The harness
2. Me wearing the harness
3. Me wearing the harness and the stick.

It works for me and no notes are unreachable. The harness is fully adjustable for height. Hope this helps.

cheers
Harry

My Shiny Railboard #6978

...Hi Iminor7...

...I'm blown away by your pics...
...yellow, yellow, yellow...

...the railboard...
...the cone of the loudspeaker...
...the curtain back...
...yellow, yellow, yellow...

...incredible...

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:00 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The_Afro_Circus wrote:

I'll STICK with this definition above. Many have quite definite opinions on technique, fingering and how it should be played properly. If it sounds the way you want , people like hearing it ( and you dont hurt yourself) then thats good enough for me. Which takes me a bit off Scotts note access point admittedly. :D It's all good stuff to consider & think about though, throw in the melting pot and come out with "your own thing" Thats why we're here.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next