It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:01 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Do we need to do better? 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Do we need to do better?
ReyStick wrote:
... i play to find a new world...

...perfect speech and sight (IMHO), thank you...

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:01 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

JRJ wrote:
..."Do We Need To Do Better"? Well yes and no. Maybe you do and maybe you don't.

Do you see it, the problem? It's the space of mind that dithers. The part of ourselves that
takes two steps forward and then retreats. "Retreats from what"? From the light and
the responsibility of taking your desires seriously... "What do you want?".

This is the private side of it. The look your self in the mirror and come to terms, and if the terms that are presented are something like "well I know I will never be really very good at playing The Stick but I enjoy it anyway". Fine, argue for your limitations and you will get to keep them. I say; Renegotiate. Don't
accept mediocre terms. Anyone can become a better player in a day, an hour or the time it takes
to decide to pick up your instrument and play. This is true. This is the personal stuff. By yourself.

I think the question here that Bret is asking " do we need to get better?". The answer is probably no.
"Need" is not the right word for this. I have had two little sayings at the bottom of each post that
interchange: "Desire is the engine of the Universe" which is my own idea and "Dreams are set
to blossom courage"
. a lyric from the forth side of Tales From Topographic Oceans. Both sayings are like
little keys to the conundrum of self accomplishment...You can do it? Of course you can.

Can we get better? If we ask the question like this the answer is yes and here is a possible
way. First a little dragon must be slain. If everything that anyone plays and puts out on the forum is considered great and given praise and encouragement which pretty much that is how it is
we need to be very carful not to damage the precious safe place for creative germination
that we have created on the internet. Really we should pat ourselves on the back for making something that is almost non existent on any other music forum.

But we need the other part too that is not so comfortable. We need a place that can use the
vast musical potential that resides here and not have it in the context of didacticism.
We "need" to be able to say 'this is not so good, and here is how it can be improved'.
We need to be able to say that something sucks without the PC police coming down
on you for being cruel and we need to be able to hear the criticism with out being wounded.
Yes?
A new forum category could be created with a warning "Enter at your own risk" with the express purpose of getting creative criticism with the sincere intention of using the insights gained to improve.
So the two sides are the personal side between you and you (the most important). And our
collective side where we challenge ourselves, with permission, but also protecting what we have already created.

...very good analysis, and a proof for the quality of the theme...

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:10 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

JRJ wrote:
We need a place that can use the
vast musical potential that resides here and not have it in the context of didacticism.
We "need" to be able to say 'this is not so good, and here is how it can be improved'.
We need to be able to say that something sucks without the PC police coming down
on you for being cruel and we need to be able to hear the criticism with out being wounded.
Yes?
A new forum category could be created with a warning "Enter at your own risk" with the express purpose of getting creative criticism with the sincere intention of using the insights gained to improve.
This. Members only area, and maybe a few ground rules. Could be a great addition, but I could also see how it might turn into a train wreck. Worth trying IMO.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:15 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I agree. Enter and post at your own peril. I appreciate criticism from time to time. It’s our mistakes in life that make us learn but if we are not aware of something then how can we fix it. If someone has an opinion then it’s an opinion and subject to take it or leave it.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:24 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/d ... iption.pdf

Here are sample questions from an AP music exam, used to determine whether a high school student should be allowed to skip the first year of college theory. Just the first year, of two.

Most people here are happy with chord diagrams, which is fine. But if the goal is to suceed as a mainstream musician, there is obviously more to learn than what diagrams can show. These are just the rudiments!

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I got to go through this and see if I can still do it! However, I would actually argue that it's more relevant to be a proficient songwriter and have deep knowledge of software and production abilities in the pursuit of becoming a mainstream artist in today's musical world than it is to focus entirely on instrumental and theoretical virtuosity. And i'm saying thos as someone that pursued virtuosity in those two elements of music.

Edit: unless you trying to get into film score

http://www.patreon.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/GEPHband
http://www.facebook.com/thebodyenglish
http://www.facebook.com/theafrocircus

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:53 pm
Contributor
Contributor

The_Afro_Circus wrote:
I got to go through this and see if I can still do it! However, I would actually argue that it's more relevant to be a proficient songwriter and have deep knowledge of software and production abilities in the pursuit of becoming a mainstream artist in today's musical world than it is to focus entirely on instrumental and theoretical virtuosity. And i'm saying thos as someone that pursued virtuosity in those two elements of music.

Edit: unless you trying to get into film score

Great point Josh re the songwriting and production. I’m increasingly seeing artists transcending their solo capacity (even to get through a song in one go on a single instrument or with a band) through production and the skills developed to do that. Regardless of my position on that, it is a reality of music today.

10 string Railboard #7076 (Currently in DBR)

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:34 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

JRJ wrote:

:? Dude, I miss you 8-).

jRj
*j*
.~

Thank you JRJ. I take your words and hold them close, because you provoke respect and admiration from most all who consider your words and work.

~ W

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Is being a part of an industry the goal? Or is it being part of an artistic and cultural community? Or is it developing a lifestyle of sharing and inner peace?

Rosewood Alto #5764

Last edited by carvingcode on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:39 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

The_Afro_Circus wrote:
I got to go through this and see if I can still do it! However, I would actually argue that it's more relevant to be a proficient songwriter and have deep knowledge of software and production abilities in the pursuit of becoming a mainstream artist in today's musical world than it is to focus entirely on instrumental and theoretical virtuosity.

Not talking about virtuosity, just a degree of competence. This is high school stuff.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next