It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Rewiring my brain 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Rewiring my brain
bachdois wrote:
begin again wrote:
In terms of best learning strategies?
I hesitate to overstep...that's more clinical
I could certainly ask around

It’s particularly interesting to learn how the brain works in developing a new skill. I always thought if we understand the way, we can maximize it and progress faster... the example about taking a little nap after learning a new passage shaves, easily, 3 to 4 days off the learning curve. Same way with making multiple breaks during practice, right after you’ve done something right, and do something completely unrelated for 20 minutes . Then come back and redo it. Memory isn’t the same after 40’s but this can shortcut that and condense one week of hard work into one single day. All of this I use daily with amazing results just because the brain learns faster in short spams than long painful hours of repetitive work. Gusset’s link looks pretty cool. Gonna check it out also! :)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

I don't believe it's harder for your brain to accept new information, or learn when you're older than 20 years old, as you stated in a previous post. I believe maybe, you have a lot more on your mind than you did 30 or 40 years ago, and probably less time, which may or may not get in the way of what you are trying to express. I agree with the fact that short bursts of learning are better than long stressful sessions, as they may be when exersizing, I'm pretty sure it's a known fact that studying and then sleeping on it allows your brain to relax and learn, because we may be dreaming unconsciously about playing the stick and mapping our movements and learning patterns while we sleep, or letting our muscles relax. Very interesting thread I will peruse these links.

Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:59 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

ReyStick wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's a known fact that studying and then sleeping on it allows your brain to relax and learn, because we may be dreaming unconsciously about playing the stick and mapping our movements and learning patterns while we sleep, or letting our muscles relax. Very interesting thread I will peruse these links.

it's called "memory consolidation". What appears to be happening is that the brain "re-rehearses" learning events guided by the hippocampus which helps solidify the connections into long-term memory (there's an adage "neurons that fire together, wire together" - it's just an adage, but it's a distillation of the concept)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3768102/

sleeps a bizzare, multi-modal thing with all kinds of things going on
There was a set of experiments with cats where they lesioned the pons (it's a brain structure that, among other things, suppresses motor functions during dreaming) so sleeping cats would get up and you could watch the actions of their dreams
found a vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js50Orx94iM

A lot of the really good articles are in nature neuroscience (it's one of the premier journals, but it's subscription and it's written for the science community - they are the actual source research papers)

I just hesitate to make the jump from analytical science / pure research (which is looking at what happens and how) to prescriptive clinical practice / applied research (do this to attain these results). That can be a big and complicated question and there can be a lot of gotchas.

One of my friends worked on food addiction and saw some reward pathways, etc shared by opiates and junk-food. The press got ahold of it and turned it into this.
http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/press/ ... 30703.html

He spend about the next year and a half on radio shows saying "no, I didn't say hamburgers are as addictive as heroine)

It always sems the deeper the researcher, the more willing they are to go "I don't know"

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:39 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

All in the Myelin I guess...

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
All in the Myelin I guess...

:D

I'm telling you man, it's in the urine.

its just such a deep rabbit hole. It's a tough one b/c we tend to look at it mechanistically as discrete systems, but they really don't work that way.
It wasn't so long ago that the thinking was the immune system and the nervous system were separate - nope
and for a long time glia (and still are) thought of as 'mere plumbing' but it's starting to look like they have a more expansive role
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/gu ... n-science/
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7413001103
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ught-what/

Hell, that's what fMRI is actually measuring, blood flow (it's a gripe the wife has with snap conclusions based on fMRI in a research setting - its usually not the researchers but other folks. Yes, it maps to neuronal activity, but she always brings up that can be excitory OR inhibitory, or a complex interaction of both). There is brain microdialysis, but that's one of those hard-to-implement technologies.

sure, there's stuff we could do,but a lot of it isn't glamorous like...don't drink alcohol - and I've been to enough neuroscience parties to know THAT ain't happenin

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:20 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Be aware of adrenal fatigue.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

begin again wrote:
...I'm telling you man, it's in the urine....

... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:36 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gusset wrote:
Indirectly related: I found this blog a few years ago. Interesting stuff; I'm sure many of the folks here have seen it.

https://bulletproofmusician.com/

Just a bump. Victor’s link is tremendously important if you’re into the whole “don’t waste any time” kind of thing.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:47 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

You might like "practice this way" and "the practice of practice by Jonathan Harnum​ - his PHD is inmusic education

don't get me wrong. I'm all about looking to improving learning (I teach scuba diving. It's an alien environment so there are some interesting challenges reprogramming the monkey brain)

I'm just careful not to overstep what we really know in terms of directly tying it to specific neurological aspects in a prescriptive manner

it's like "Drawing From the Right Side of the Brain" great book, really works, but there are some issues with the neuroscience. That doesn't invalidate the effectiveness techniques or practice.

It reminds me of what I heard the dept chair of neuroscience say to a grad student
Student : "I don't like being told I'm wrong"
Chair : "Oh, you chose the wrong field then"

I think "A Soprano Standing on Her Head" is worth a read

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:28 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Can Dr. Ben Carson give Stick lessons ?

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

begin again wrote:
You might like "practice this way" and "the practice of practice by Jonathan Harnum​ - his PHD is inmusic education

don't get me wrong. I'm all about looking to improving learning (I teach scuba diving. It's an alien environment so there are some interesting challenges reprogramming the monkey brain)

I'm just careful not to overstep what we really know in terms of directly tying it to specific neurological aspects in a prescriptive manner

it's like "Drawing From the Right Side of the Brain" great book, really works, but there are some issues with the neuroscience. That doesn't invalidate the effectiveness techniques or practice.

It reminds me of what I heard the dept chair of neuroscience say to a grad student
Student : "I don't like being told I'm wrong"
Chair : "Oh, you chose the wrong field then"

I think "A Soprano Standing on Her Head" is worth a read
thank you! I’m going to check this out!

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:08 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next