It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:48 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Is thorough theory knowledge a Stick “entry requirement”? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Is thorough theory knowledge a Stick “entry requirement”
Theory/harmony is a naming convention for the music we play. A set of guidelines and analysis methodology that make communication with other musicians much easier... It gives another avenue to creativity too - sure you can go by "feel" and just play what you think sounds good but make no mistake, that's a type of "theory" too (Intuition/experience) ... I guess it's as difficult as you make it, really...

It seems like the hard way, especially when you are trying to explain what you are doing to another bandmate or jam partner "this chord?" "no a different one..." "This one?" "Nope" Must be this one?" "Nope, it has a kind of weirder sound" "Oh, then it must be this?" "Nope it's like this..."
"What fret is it on?" "Oh it's on one of the ones in between the dots... closer to the two dot fret..."

(C7#9)

:D

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:14 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Markussz wrote:
I can only speak for myself...poor theory knowledge AND poor stick playing. Not sayin' one caused the other, but maybe it did. Practicing is the key, and is related to poor playing. If I practiced more, the playing should improve

IMO, the amount of theory required to play also depends upon how you intend to play. If all of your music is written out, note-for-note, and your playing is mainly "rendering" those notes, then the theory required is mainly limited to quickly recognizing notation / tab, along with some genre-specific interpretation. If less is written out, and your playing involves a lot of improvisation, then more in-depth understanding of theory (or at least an intuitive grasp of the underpinnings) is required.

Your comment about practicing reminded me of a time years ago when I discussed the nature of practice with my daughter (who at the time was kind of rushing her way through a piece). I can't remember the origin of this statement - music or maybe martial arts - but it wasn't mine: "the more that you practice, the more that you'll master what you practice. If you practice crap, then you'll be a master of crap". How one practices (sets goals, plans one's practice time, etc.) is at least as important as how much.

Jayesskerr wrote:
It seems like the hard way, especially when you are trying to explain what you are doing to another bandmate or jam partner "this chord?" "no a different one..." "This one?" "Nope" Must be this one?" "Nope, it has a kind of weirder sound" "Oh, then it must be this?" "Nope it's like this..."
"What fret is it on?" "Oh it's on one of the ones in between the dots... closer to the two dot fret..."

Or as has been my case, "I want this cool chord ... is it this one? <plong> no, not that one ... how about this one <plong> no, not that one either ... and now I can't remember what the cool chord that I wanted sounds like ... damn."

Tarara Grand #7340 Classic Stickup

Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:54 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

"How one practices (sets goals, plans one's practice time, etc.) is at least as important as how much."
I would agree with that.

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6