It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 pm

Action and string height 

Post Action and string height
Still new to the stick but getting on with it. Unlike with the guitar and the bass where there is a ton of information, when it comes to the action on the stick, the only things I can find is that it has to be low. What is low in numbers?
I have managed to get some of my strings low but the bass strings seem a bit high as there is quite a way to push them down and they are a bit rattley, which maybe I am thinking is because of this. I can't seem to get the bass strings much lower because there is a lump on the pickup which chokes it off if I go too low, and I can't wind the pickups in any lower, tunring the screw does nothing after a while.

So my 1 string I have a clearence of 1mm, just a bit less at the nut, just a bit more near the pickup end (maybe 1.2?) and that seems to play well. That goes in slightly greater height all the way up to 5, which has maybe 2mm at the bridge and 1mm at the nut.

The 9 and 10 strings are the same sort of clearance, 1mm to 1.2mm.
The 7 and 8 are as low as they can go without fouling the little strip on the last frets, about 1.7 on the 8, and over 2 on the 7. The the big 6 is about 3mm, which seems high, as I have basses about the same as that.

Forgot to mention, this is classic tuning. Is this too high? Should I be looking to get the bass side closer to the melody side?

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:14 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Action and string height
I'm probably going to give the wrong answer or the answer which is not what one wants to hear, but how does it play ??

How does it feel ??

I've never in my entire life measured string height - if it plays right and feels good, that's what I go by.

Again, my own opinion......

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:31 am

Its hard to answer as I have only ever played one stick, this one. It feels like the bass strings are too high, but then it didn't feel like the melody strings were too high until I lowered them, then they feel ok now, so I am pretty happy with them.
I can't get the bass strings down more at the moment, so I am not sure whther that is because that is as low as they go or I can do more. I know that on a bass you can't get the bass strings to go as low as the higher strings, as they take more room to vibrate. However, the railboard has a gap for that.

Answer is then, I don't know how it feels. It feels like it could probably be better, or maybe it is because I could be better, and it is fine.

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:11 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Yes, I agree... the strings like to have room to breathe on an electric bass, on the other hand I kept the action real low on my fretless basses because I liked the added growl one would get....

I don't know either - as I do not know how a correctly set up Stick feels or plays either, but once I get my Stickbass 8... then I will know for sure !!

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:49 pm