It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:51 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 The re-setup of Ironwood #1642 (by a complete beginner) 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: The re-setup of Ironwood #1642 (by a complete beginner)
Hi Marty,
AnDroiD wrote:
Rob beat me to it. And the string height gauge is not going to tell you anything.

Understood. I only included the ruler in the images as it was in my instrument toolbox & provided a handy scale reference to illustrate the situation.

AnDroiD wrote:
You just go with what the string gauge will allow. That Stick looks to be in good shape so if you go with strings originaly intended for it, it should respond.

Hope so.
A short while ago I did a little exploring and a nice first discovery was that Strick strings are so slack I don't need to slacken them off very much to lift then off the screws for each adjustment. I'd thought I might need to do a whole lot more unwinding/winding! I hope to make a proper start later today (other stuff permitting).

AnDroiD wrote:
My Ironwood,..."Do what you will."...all for the amount of $750 (2007/8).

Judging from the estimated shipping element of my future Railboard order, here in 2021 that $750 might not even cover the two way shipping across the Atlantic!

AnDroiD wrote:
Good luck to you, you own a piece of history and a work of craftsmanship and artistry. And vision and invention.

It really is BEAUTIFUL to look at. I now need to try to adjust so it is again capable of making the beautiful sounds it would have when it left SE in '85. Then I need to learn play it well enough to bring out those beautiful sounds. :)

Thanks for your input.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup G1 C2 F2 A#2 D#1..desc 4ths..D4
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 G1 C2 F2 A#1 D#1..4ths..D4
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic (For Sale)

Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:59 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

You know, I'm going to be 64 in February and the Stick just brings me enjoyment I don't care anymore about playing something perfect or well for that matter. It just IS. Have fun...

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hi David,

I have also played an old borrowed ironwood for a few months. They will never be playable as a newer instrument, but have a lot of character... Andy Salvanos does magic with such an instrument…

Best regards, Andi

Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Congratulations on your acquisition. As has been stated, it's a beautiful instrument.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:35 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Well, I've made a start. It went much smoother than I expected. I'd thought it would take much longer making each tweak, but the strings could be eased out of the slots with only a little loosening off.

I've done a first pass across all strings (one at a time, nut then bridge), then a little further adjustment to some of them. Some of the screws have been moved 3 whole turns, but for most it was less. I'm sure the job isn't finished yet, but the setup feels & sounds a whole lot better than when I started, which is encouraging. To improve it from here I think I need to start trying to play a bit, to get an better idea of how it's working out.

I'll let the setup settle overnight now, then review tomorrow.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:23 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Set up is improving with each iteration. :)

However I'm wondering if I have either a pickup issue, an output jack issue, a cable issue, or maybe I just don't understand?

I know there is supposed to be stereo output.

I believe the two knobs are bass strings & melody strings volume.

With a stereo to 2x mono output lead plugged into the 2 stereo inputs of a Zoom H4n, if I turn one knob right down & the other right up I only hear sound in one ear.

If I reverse those settings I only hear sound in the other ear.

So far so good...

What seems unexpected is that with both of those two settings if I play across all 10 strings I get to hear all 10 strings.

It's not just a bit of cross talk from one side to the other. There's no difference, i.e. string 10 sounds just the same whether it's only bottom knob full on or only the top knob fully on. I can't tell which of the knobs is melody or bass, because in practice it's as if they are simply left and right controls on a feed that is exactly the same to both left & right.

N.B. The sale didn't include a proper SE supplied cable (the PO didn't have one), so I'm using a standard off-the-shelf stereo 1/4" to 1 x mono 1/4" splitter cable. I've tried two different ones of different brands & both give the same behaviour.

Is it just that I don't understand?

Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:49 am

My first instinct is take the pickup off and open it up but, assuming that's a last resort, try plugging a mono-mono cable in -- you should only hear one side (bass or melody, not sure to be honest). If you hear both sides still then your jack is at fault -- possibly it's been replaced incorrectly in the past.

I'd try that first because I have a bunch of mono-mono cables lying around. I can also lend you a stereo-mono stick cable if you wish?

Regards

AxS

Rosewood Grand #1496, Matched Reciprocal

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes"

Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

First, congratulations on getting hold of that instrument. The wood is really beautiful, particularly in the photos in sunlight.

The pickup should not behave like that. It's rather easy to open though, so I think you should take a look inside to see if it's been customised in any way (or if there's any conductive debris in the jack, perhaps).

First remove the two recessed screws that hold it in place, and then you can slide the whole module out and unscrew the other two screws and the bottom should come right off.

Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

arcoddath wrote:
try plugging a mono-mono cable in -- you should only hear one side (bass or melody, not sure to be honest).

Great idea arcodath. No shortage 1/4" mono-to-mono cables here!

Result:
Bottom knob at full, top at zero => all 10 strings heard.
Top knob at full, bottom at zero => silent right across.

Looks like
AndersGoran wrote:
First remove the two recessed screws that hold it in place, and then you can slide the whole module out and unscrew the other two screws and the bottom should come right off.

is the next move. Thanks for the detail on the removal process AndersGoran.

Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:52 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Okay, so I've had the pickup block off & open. Here's what I found

Attachment:
2021-12-16_17-06_DSCF7858_pickup_block_inside_resize.jpg

There was a tiny bit of metal fluff on one of the pickup magnets. It's hard to see how that might have caused any issue. It's now been removed. No change to behaviour.

I can't see any issue with the socket itself, i.e. no obvious sign of contamination (but I tried to clean it anyway).

It all looks neat & tidy.

There are 4 black wires jonied together and heatshrink wrapped, but it doesn't look 'new', and could be perfectly reasonable (e.g. common ground).

Now reassembled. Nothing has changed.

Maybe someone who knows what it should look like can spot something?

PS. When I took the block out I noticed writing in the recess. Looks like RJ. Above and right of that is a symbol that's not quite 'just a circle'. Here's a pic
Attachment:
2021-12-16_17-03_DSCF7855_pickup_block_recess_resize.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:55 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next