It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:16 am

NS Stick tapping advice 
Contributor
Contributor

Post NS Stick tapping advice
Hey fellow Stickists! I need some guidance... Anyways I've been getting into more 2-handed independent tapping stuff on the NS Stick and I'm starting to encounter problems in my technique.

For one, idk if I'm supposed to fight gravity and just learn to keep my left arm raised the whole time or not. Playing below the 5th fret is really uncomfortable to try and tap on like this, even if I play the Free Hands style of hammer ons.
Attachment:
IMG_20220312_071320.jpg

Another problem I'm having is just trying to get audible sound out of the first 3 frets without hammering my pointer finger down with excessive force, which in the process hits the string damper and makes it click.
Attachment:
IMG_20220312_071709.jpg

I'm legit starting to feel like the NS Stick isnt designed to tap properly above the 5th fret when trying to play it like this. If I'm doing something wrong please tell me haha Thank Y'all in advance

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:19 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: NS Stick tapping advice
If the strings on frets 1 to 3 are hard to play, they are probably too far from the frets or too close to the frets. The truss rod may need to be adjusted so the strings are the correct distance.

If your NS was set up when you got it, don't mess with the string height at the bridge or nut, just adjust the truss rod as that should bring things back in line.

Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:48 am
Contributor
Contributor

rwkeating wrote:
If the strings on frets 1 to 3 are hard to play, they are probably too far from the frets or too close to the frets.

I think this may resolve the issue, thanks!

Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:21 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I don't know shit. But when you get into the upper space of the stick you need to be closer to the Frets, from the pictures, you're way behind the fret. You almost want to be on top of the fret when you get into the lower register. This allows for lighter tapping, more sustain, and a whole bunch of other shit. I think if you slid your left hand down a little bit, it might make a difference. But again I don't know shit. Light touch up the amp, find your groove. Rocknroll.

stick stick stick stick stick stick

Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:45 am