It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:45 am

Repeated note triplets 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Repeated note triplets
Hi,

I'm curious to know how other players approach playing "repeated note triplets" i.e. repeating triplets on the same fret. I keep coming back to 2 fingers only, particularly on the high frets where things are "tight".

If you answered 3 fingers, do you start each triplet group with the same finger, or do you alternate constantly?
Or is the answer "any of the above" depending on the context?

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:41 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Repeated note triplets
adde65 wrote:
I'm curious to know how other players approach playing "repeated note triplets" i.e. repeating triplets on the same fret. I keep coming back to 2 fingers only, particularly on the high frets where things are "tight".

If you answered 3 fingers, do you start each triplet group with the same finger, or do you alternate constantly?

Personally, I think it's 'any of the above'. If you're tight for space, can it be solved with MORE hand movement?

Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:05 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I tend to use 3 fingers, in this case I will start every triplet with the same finger (1,2,3 - 1,2,3 or 3,2,1 - 3,2,1).
If I feel that I don't have enough space I will use 2 fingers and this time I will most probably alternate (1,2,1-2,1,2).

Cheers, Daniel

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:30 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

adde65 wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy,

I like to use fingers 1 and 2 because I think it's faster, and I think it's easier to transition into and out of. If you spend some time pracitcing different accent patterns, then you are really in control.

As far as David's point goes, I noticed especially when I was playing the Alto that you do need to move your hand to get the fingers out of each other's way when the fret spacing gets really tight (even playing notes on sequential frets).

Lucky for me movement is always a part of my technique...;)

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I alternate between my index and pinkie fingers with the pinkie playing the unison note five frets up the neck and one string over. I imagine this type of action is completely foreign to guitar players, but it's a staple of keyboard players. Try to rotate the wrist instead of using the fingers. It'll be more even.

You can also work in the other hand on the bass side of the stick if the unison note is in reach of whatever else that hand is doing.

You'll hear a slight change in timbre between the two fingers, but I find it to be more interesting to the ear. YMMV.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:33 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

>>You can also work in the other hand on the bass side of the stick if the unison note is in reach of whatever else that hand is doing.<<

Or you can use the right thumb on the bass side to hit the same note. The "Claw" technique strikes again. Try 2-1-thumb.

Linda Triplett

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Or you can use the right thumb on the bass side to hit the same note. The "Claw" technique strikes again. Try 2-1-thumb.
Or, for that matter, what about #1 from the bass hand, if it isn't already doing something? :)

J-Lev

Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:02 pm