It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:59 am

Variation on Rob Martino's "Mirrored 4ths" tuning question 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Variation on Rob Martino's "Mirrored 4ths" tuning question
A few months ago, I was considering a move to a Dual Bass Reciprocal tuning on my old 10 string stick, but I was lucky enough to score a BEAUTIFUL Paduak grand tuned MR. I did purchase a set of DBR strings for the 10, that I still have. I am considering using what would have been the 5 melody side bass strings, plus the low bass (#6) string of that set on my grands bass side, and tuning like a standard 6 string bass.
(#7-12 = BEADGC) This would essentially be Rob's tuning but a 4th lower. the melody side would be tuned (#6-1 = BEADGC) and octave higher.

I am wondering if anyone has tried this variation of Rob's tuning and if so, what their thoughts are on it?

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Variation on Rob Martino's "Mirrored 4ths" tuning questi
>>> BEADGC<<<

See pg. 12 of The Mel Bay book "Stickology........"

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

My copy is at home, not sure what you're getting at. Care to offer a refresher?

thanks.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I believe a few people have tried this, perhaps they can chime in - to me the one main disadvantage is that the chord/accompaniment range in the bass strings feels more limited when you drop the pitch range. In any of the music I play I use that top bass string all the time to fill out chords and raise them up out of the "muddy" range- I want to be able to get voicings where the higher notes are closer to the acoustic guitar range. You could play chords higher up the fretboard- say between the 7th and 12th frets, although it's probably not ideal to always have to be in that area with your left hand if you want to be playing a full left hand accompaniment.

So it's just really a trade off. If you are more focused on bass lines and want lower notes, and don't mind giving up some accompaniment possibilities than it's worth a try- I just found that if I want to make the most use of 6 bass strings in 4ths, starting on low E gave the most optimal pitch range for both bass and chords.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks Rob. I've been watching your videos on youtube and on the Stick site, and am leaning towards your tuning. Like You said, it's a trade off, but even in band context, I generally don't go lower than E anyways. One of the reasons I was/am considering the lower tuning is because I have a set of 10 string DBR strings sitting new in a package, and wanted to try the tuning without investing in another set of strings. I might have an extra string that would work for the highest pitch bass string, at least for purposes of experimentation on the tuning.

Thanks for the advice, and I've really enjoyed watching your playing today and groking some valuable information from them.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Godsmonkey wrote:
Thanks Rob. I've been watching your videos on youtube and on the Stick site, and am leaning towards your tuning. Like You said, it's a trade off, but even in band context, I generally don't go lower than E anyways. One of the reasons I was/am considering the lower tuning is because I have a set of 10 string DBR strings sitting new in a package, and wanted to try the tuning without investing in another set of strings. I might have an extra string that would work for the highest pitch bass string, at least for purposes of experimentation on the tuning.

Thanks for the advice, and I've really enjoyed watching your playing today and groking some valuable information from them.
Hi Randy,

I just got a Grand Stick in the tuning you described, but a half-step lower. For Rock music, with bass-only in the left hand the bass range is fantastic, but 6 strings in 4ths starting that low or low B or (C even), is just too low for effective chording.

Rob's tuning is a good compromise (as his music attests).

My main interest in this tuning is as a bass+guitar tuning, and it is a lot of fun for that set of roles.

Greetings from Interlochen...

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I took the strings from my DBR 10 set and put them on the grand tonight, and am playing with it. I ended up tuning one step lower on both sides than What Rob does, placing the low E on the second fret (34"scale).

First impressions:

I see why Rob made the choice he did. Chording off the lowest string is a bit muddy. I've been playing with hand positions, and trying to find all the low roots, with the 3rd and 5th up an octave. I find myself using the middle finger holding down the root that way. The shape will take some getting used to, but I think it's manageable. A big part for the switch is I am now in two bands, playing more traditional bass lines, but also playing lead lines. I think this tuning will work well once I get used to it.

The string gauges I had on hand are too thin for my taste. the low bass string sounds ever so slightly sloppy. Part of that is it's tuned down a step. However I need the low E in a playable position, and by placing it on the second fret of the 34" scale, it places the fret markers in an advantageous spot, that should allow me to get used to note positions more quickly. (I might cheat and add C dots until I get used to it however.)

The relationship between the low bass and low melody strings appears like it will have some interesting possibilities that I look forward to exploring more.

I am probably going to miss the big open chords that 5ths tuning offers. I might have to invest in a second stick. I'm sure Emmett wouldn't mind that.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery