It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

Tuning for thumb and finger 6ths and 3rds 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Tuning for thumb and finger 6ths and 3rds
I've loved the idea of the stick for quite a while. With the Railboard being better for my price range I will soon enjoy the reality of it. I hope some of you can help me select a tuning for my needs.

Awesome very-low bass chord possibilities come with every 5ths tuning, but here are my goals with the melody side of the stick:

1) Melody 4ths range that can be comfortable from G2 to A5 with crossed hands, though I rarely go above E5 on guitar anyway.
2) Being able to use the right hand thumb on the highest bass side string to occasionally add a 3rd or 6th above or below the melody note for the "doubled distorted lead guitar sound" like a harmonizer pedal while the left hand still plays bass. No harmony pedal needed!

Please tell me if I'm right on these topics:

1) This goal can be had with Baritone Melody. I could bend the high G in Deep Baritone Melody to cover A5. Could I play low G on the Deep Matched Reciprocal melody strings with crossed hands?
2) This goal depends on thumb comfort. How many frets above or below the right thumb's position can the fingers go? For example, would fret 10 for the thumb be comfortable with the fingers on frets 8 to 14 on the highest two melody strings?

8 strings aren't enough for the range I want and 12 seem like they'd be "more" rather than to focus on the range I want to use. 10 seems just right. But can I do the occasional "thumb and finger" harmonies comfortably with a standard 10 string tuning? Is one tuning better than another for these goals?

Are there any instructional materials geared toward this kind of playing as well?

Thanks. I look forward to the Stick journey!

Fri May 24, 2013 12:54 pm