It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

Is it possible to learn the Stick as a first instrument? 

Is it feasible to learn the Stick as a first instrument (disregarding cost)?
Yes. 97%  97%  [ 31 ]
No. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Throwaway answer for people who aren't comfortable with giving a yes or no answer, but who nonetheless, for whatever reason, feel compelled to contribute to the poll. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 32

Is it possible to learn the Stick as a first instrument? 

Post Is it possible to learn the Stick as a first instrument?
Okay, perhaps Is it within reason...? (disregarding the obvious financial obstacle) would be a better question, but Is it possible...? is a little more provocative. Anyway, after skimming this section of the forum and sifting through an hour-and-a-half's worth of Google results, I didn't find any questions of this sort. It wouldn't actually be my first instrument; I used to play trombone, but I don't think that skill would be of much use. I can't afford to buy a Stick, so I'm really just asking out of curiosity, but I'm sure some other musically-inclined non-musician out there has seen a video of Tony Levin playing the Stick with King Crimson and wondered the same thing. And maybe that musically-inclined non-musician has either several buckets of cash lying around or (inclusive) a problem with impulse spending.

I'm going to go against my better statistical judgment by making this into a poll, although I'm really hoping for insightful comments.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:27 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Is it possible to learn the Stick as a first instrument?
I would think if you can hook up with a decent teacher (Via skype maybe?) it wouldn't be a big deal. The big concern, I think, is the difficulty in finding a wide variety of materials to learn from. I mean, I can only think of ONE songbook offhand :lol:

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:53 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yes; I suspect it'd be about the same level of difficulty as piano.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

What Luc said. Anything is possible if one has the gumption to commit to learning a musical instrument. Having knowledge of another instrument is almost assumed in this musical community, but not required.

Last edited by earthgene on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I used to play trombone. The only immediate connect between Stick and trombone that comes to mind is that the slower the passage feels, the faster you need to move your hand(s) to retain fluidity. Being able to read bass clef (or any standard notation) is definitely of aid but not necessarily exclusive to the trombone, of course.

I say ye to the ability to learn it as a first instrument. A first time musician might become frustrated at the lack of instant gratification due to the lack of material specifically made around Stick. Not to say there isn't any because there is EXCELLENT material out there, along with superb instruction books/videos on behalf of Greg Howard, Steve Adelson, Dave Brosky, Josh Goldberg and Bob Culbertson. But it may not be as easy as strumming out two chords of "Working Class Hero"

Of course each instrument has its advantages and disadvantages as far as learning. But no reason Stick can't be learned first! I hope there comes a time where that's a feasible thing for more people!

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I would think doing so would bear a bit of an advantage, even, in that you wouldn't have all those other-instrument habits getting in the way of grasping the methods.

Rosewood 12-string Grand, PASV-4, #6500

http://www.youtube.com/user/canyonkafer
http://soundcloud.com/canyon-kafer

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:00 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

In line with what has been said, piano is often a lot of people's first instruments, and that thing is about as complicated as a Stick. Also, I can't find the exact quote, but I'm pretty sure Tony Levin, himself, said that playing bass lines on the Stick was like going to a piano and playing with just your index fingers. :lol:

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:51 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yes, certainly! Just be sure to learn music in the first place. It has never been a good idea to focus on an instrument as "a set of magic buttons that if punched in the correct sequence produces melodies to be heard".

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Of course it is.
I guess the reasons it doesn't happen more often are that it is a lesser known instrument and that the price, even for the Railboard, is higher than what most people are comfortable spending for a fist instrument (usually the first instrument is bought by parents).
That being said, I know of at list one kid who had the Stick as his first instrument: met him at a stick seminar in Belgium some years ago, he was about 10 years old at the time.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Shedua511 wrote:
That being said, I know of at list one kid who had the Stick as his first instrument: met him at a stick seminar in Belgium some years ago, he was about 10 years old at the time.
If this forum had "like buttons" I would have pressed one right away! I guess an Alto would be good for a child.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery