It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:14 am

Hand independence 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Hand independence
Ending 2 months into my a Stick journey. Today, I've started in on the "Independence" chapter in Greg's Stick Method.

Honestly: It is kicking my butt. Granted, I've just started, but coming from a woodwind background, I've not had to develop hand independence as, say, a keyboard player would. (I say this, not from a complaining perspective, but from the reality that I'm sure there are others in similar situations.)

Good thing: Greg really captured in those few exercises the simple essence of how to build hand/finger independence.

The first exercise in the chapter was not bad. The 2nd and 3rd are really quite tricky.

I've got my work cut out for me this weekend.

Randy

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:33 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Hand independence
If it's any consolation, I did about 15 years of formal piano study and some of those exercises kicked my butt too. The third one was probably the hardest for me initially, and the "Spontaneity" one is still difficult for me after two years of playing Stick.

Hand independence is something that just requires a lot of practice. Make sure you practice them how it's suggested in the book - learn each hand's part separately. Hang in there, it's probably going to take more than just this weekend. ;)

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:20 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

For me it took about one year to grow the needed neurone connections for conduction both hands independently. It really is in the brain, not in the hands. The reason it took so long time for me is that I had the guitar as my premiere instrument for decades and then doubled a lot on alto flute and tenor sax - all three instruments totally "hand dependent". Still on my fourth year as a Stick player I sometimes fail to delegate enough awareness to one hand for keeping it on-line while inventing some new thing for the other hand. Playing the Stick has made me a better player of many other, non hand independent, instrument because it develops the brain's multitasking capabilities. Even if you are playing a wind instrument you benefit from being better at devoting a varying grade of active listening to the other instruments in your ensemble.

Important is to really play different independent parts with each hand all the time; to develop a "split vision" capability for your mind. To make sure you are not falling into the trap of developing new "two handed patterns" I suggest you make it a daily habit to improvise a while with both hands together.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Last edited by Per Boysen on Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yes, those exercises are challenging…. and Per is right, it is not in the hands…. it is in the brain
One thing that I have done is to sit with the instrument, get relaxed and do the exercises in my mind first…. this may sound crazy, however, it works well. I do this for about 5 minutes, and then I slowly start the exercises, and work my way SLOWLY through them… By making pictures or using the "movie mind", you have a more mindful and complete approach IMHO. SOme of this comes from NLP/Hypnosis…. Best of luck :ugeek:

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:22 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rclere - I used to mentally run through sax recital pieces before performance. It does work.

Per - I think your year timeframe is probably very realistic. There's no better way to sabotage learning an instrument than thinking it will come fast. And your suggestion to spend time improvising is well received.

Claire - A year of weekends maybe. ;)

Randy

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:18 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Carvingcode: are you using Greg's dvd or book for the independence excercises ?

Cheers,
Bas

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:52 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

BasV wrote:
Carvingcode: are you using Greg's dvd or book for the independence exercises ?

Bas - I'm using the exercises in the book at the moment. I've vexed the video exercises and probably should refer to them again.

Greg's suggestion of tapping beat using a non-dominant foot is a good idea.

Randy

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:37 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

carvingcode wrote:
Greg's suggestion of tapping beat using a non-dominant foot is a good idea.

I have been doing that for something like two years now, every time I listen to music (sometimes in the middle of video games, too). Roughly six months ago, I started to play "Air Stick" with my non-dominant hand in time with the foot on the same side. Now, I can add a little "Air Stick" with my dominant hand without messing up too much.

This will probably go out the window as soon as I touch a Stick, but improving my bilateral coordination and independence is something I need to do anyway. ;)

Last edited by Robstafarian on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:28 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
This will probably go out the window as soon as I touch a Stick...

Have you been able to try one? There are lots of Stick players in your area if you haven't. There are also two great workshops happening out there and there might be extra Sticks for you to use.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

EricTheGray wrote:
Have you been able to try one? There are lots of Stick players in your area if you haven't. There are also two great workshops happening out there and there might be extra Sticks for you to use.

-Eric

No, I have not been able to try one (this has probably helped me maintain my sanity).

I only know of Rob and Greg living in Virginia, and seeing them will not be trivial until later this year (when I will no longer rely on others for transportation). I recall that the Stick Expo which was slated for December was postponed, and I do not know of any other Stick events in Virginia.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:02 am