It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:31 am

Time Management with practice 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Time Management with practice
Hello all,

One of the biggest hassles I have with practice time is simply not knowing what to practice! I have so many materials (2 of Greg's books, his DVD, Free Hands---various songs I want to play/jam on) that practicing has become, for lack of a better term, fruitless. I'm having a hard time actually sitting down and going through everything that I have to learn from. Coupled with my excitement to learn the instrument--practice eventually devolves into me trying to play bass on songs that I either shouldn't be doing or generally just giving up because I can focus on Stick.

One technique that I have started to incorporate is the use of a journal, which i picked up from my days in college. I would jot down the time I started, what I warmed up with, what the bulk of my practice would be, if I would use the metronome and how much BPMs I would progress in certain sections, when I took breaks, etc. This has helped me out somewhat, but I'm still finding myself lost amongst all of this instruction and I can seem to find my way. Without a teacher or a mentor sitting in with you, like I have done pretty much for the extent of my time as a musician, I simply don't know where to begin and I can't seem to get myself on some kind of routine to help me.

Does anyone have help hints as to some time management and things I should focus on for certain amounts of time in order to get more out of my practicing?

Or better yet, how can I use the materials that I have to my most advantage? Is anyone familiar with Greg's books and DVDs+Emmett's book? Do some lessons "line up" and can be used in conjunction with each other?

~Evan

Tue May 20, 2014 6:08 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Time Management with practice
What do you want to be able to do?

Is there a specific song you'd like to be able to play? Are you trying to compose on Stick? Do you want to play a live show? Once you know what you want to do, everything else will line up. Set one or a few goals for yourself, with a reasonable timetable. Then work towards those goals. Try to figure out at least one tangible outcome and you'll have a better idea of what to focus on.

eclout22 wrote:
Without a teacher or a mentor sitting in with you, like I have done pretty much for the extent of my time as a musician, I simply don't know where to begin and I can't seem to get myself on some kind of routine to help me.

Schedule a lesson, or plan a few lessons over a period of time. Getting input from someone else will get you going in the right direction.

Tue May 20, 2014 6:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Evan how many songs do you currently know?

kev

Tue May 20, 2014 7:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I echo what Claire stated. having studied w/ trey, steve A, and Greg H @ various times, it is really helpful to do lessons with Greg and or Steve A. As of recent, I became very overwhelmed with music theory, application of it etc. until my "creative faucet" just stopped flowing… I have had to step back and digest all of the good stuff that was given to me and take a breather. yet, I practice 1.5 hours in the morning and the same in the evening. I also supplement Steve A.'s DVD's which are excellent, his books, Greg Howards books and DVd. I start with rudiments, work through fingering exercise , chords in left and right hand, poly chords, scales etc. and @ the end of my practice, I allow myself to just freely dissociate! Keeping a schedule and diary is a plus for sure. :ugeek:

Tue May 20, 2014 7:55 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Play tunes. Songs. That's what I do. I don't get too hung up with exercises and scales although they're necessary and useful to know they're like reciting the alphabet. I find myself playing along with anything coming out of the radio,the kid practicing tuba next door or the little melody coming out of the Mexican ice cream truck when it drives down my street. It used to play "The Entertainer" and lately it plays "Alley Cat" - the old piano tune from the 60s. Some days I'll just work a couple hours on a right hand melody line from a standard w/a real scale based melody like "Europa" starting on different strings & leading off with different fingers. Other times I'll just try to find Freddy King blues licks. Some days I'll just practice II-V-I turnarounds with left hand or whatever's in the air. What I'm trying to develop are musical instincts backed up with muscle memory - tools in the toolbox.

Tue May 20, 2014 10:15 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Time is a thing. In this day and age, it comes and goes in the blink of an eye, and what do we have to show for it? How do we keep track of it and how do we get ahead of it?

Planning, rhythm and performance.

You need a plan. Part of this plan will play to your strengths and part of this plan will require you to stretch out in forms of planning that will feel like work. Some people like a notepad, some people use a calendar online and some use video journals. Start with this, and this is something was covered briefly towards the end of the Sunday FHA session last year...

When you close your eyes, what does the Stickist you are longing to be look like? What do they sound like? What songs are they playing? Where are they playing at?

REFRAIN from asking yourself: How do I play that? Which amp is better? What pedal will make me sound better?

Once this exercise is complete, document it, date it and pin it up somewhere to remind you of why you play. From then on, take it one tune at a time using a STRUCTURED practice regiment. The process has become mechanical for me with structured time, a task for me might be:

On Thursday, review modulation for third verse of Warmth of the Sun by the Beach Boys

The day before you plan to practice, outline what you need to learn - songs are good to start; Norwegian Wood, When you wish upon a star or something like Somewhere over the rainbow. Start with a song you CARE about, that has some meaning. I recall the first album I ever put on the phonograph by myself was a Beach Boys album and the song that I liked the most was Warmth of the Sun. When I play that song now, even just to rehearse it, it reminds me of what I love most about music. A sweet melody accompanied by simple chords.

The rhythm element is essential. Once you know what it looks, what it sounds like and you are actively documenting what you do, you will establish a rhythm. I have found that I work well in the context of the week. I plan 6 - 8 weeks out what I am going to do. I do this in my professional life as well in IT and Project Management, so it has developed over time.

When your practice time does circle around, you will be ahead of it. You will already know what you need to do. Once you have approached and completed your structured element, it's time to bask in some UNSTRUCTURED practice time. This could be in the form of scales, exercises or just trying the song you were learning in a different key or improvising over the chords of the song you were just working on in your structured time. The idea of the unstructured time is to find ways to feel more at ease with your instrument, to improvise or experiment with a new technique.

Once this rhythm is in place, you can establish a performance element to put a fire under what you are doing. The best start will be to hit an open mic somewhere, but in time, you will find that people are requesting you, whether it be for a special occasion or opening slot for a band. Once this date is established, compile what you have known and throw down. This could be chords played in the left hand with a simple melody in the right. Be prepared to hit some clams and make quick recoveries. Once that first gig is in the bag, you will know, quite clearly, what needs to be worked on.

Everyone will have a different path there, so be patient and celebrate your small victories. The way forward is always one step at a time.

Wed May 21, 2014 6:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I can't say anything better; I can only say that I completely agree what's already been said. In sum: there has to be a goal, and a plan, with focus. It's great that you have all of those materials - but you don't have to use all of them all at once. Figure out the things you want to work on, and work on them one or two at a time, consulting the books/materials that address the thing you're working on.
And yes, get a Skype lesson happening. It did me WONDERS after my first 8 months of being mired in a lonely process of working on one song and wondering what I ought to be working on in the two books that I had at the time.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Wed May 21, 2014 6:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

@ Gene - really appreciated your thoughtful and informal post on this subject!!
:geek:

Wed May 21, 2014 7:09 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Great subject! I always practise without a plan, without a goal and find myself playing the same things mostly, so improvement is slow. I don't like it that that is happening..
Again, great post, very usefull information :-)

Cheers,
Bas

Wed May 21, 2014 10:09 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rclere wrote:
@ Gene - really appreciated your thoughtful and informal post on this subject!!
:geek:

+1

Wed May 21, 2014 11:08 am