It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:50 am

What notation software works best with stick? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: What notation software works best with stick?
Thanks for chiming in Luc.

I'm currently using Finale 2012, with the StaffTab font on the Mac.

The process I use is to input all the noes first, then go back and use the lyrics tool to put in the fret numbers, the articulations tool to put in the string markers and the special tool to change the note-heads.

It would be nice if there was a way to input the finger symbol while entering the note data, but I haven't figured out a way to do that yet with a macro of some kind...

I find enlarging the notation overall to about 115% of the normal printing size really helps make the information present in the notation clearer. I'm sure any more books I put out will be in 9x12 format for that reason.

Wed May 28, 2014 5:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Ahhh awesome. Thanks, guys for the information! I currently have Finale "Songwriter". This does not allow for the changing of the note heads, which looks like the fingering aspect? Clever, using the lyrics input... Actually, that notation system is very clever. I love it. Well done.

For just practice purposes, I suppose I could (for now) just enter a treble and bass clef in, and suffer until I snag the full featured version of Finale. Of course, I suppose I will probably have it before my railcard comes in, and with that comes a lot of instructional material that will keep me busy for a bit hahaha

Anyways, thanks again guys! Much appreciated!

Wed May 28, 2014 7:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jay (and anyone else interested),
If and when you want, PM me and give me your email address. I'll send the StaffTab font.
(Hint:Loading the StaffTab font doesn't mean it'll work instantly. You have to make some adjustments in Finale. It takes a little time but it's well worth it. But just to warn you: I'm not 100% qualified to guide anyone through those adjustments; I had my hand held during the process, so at best I'm 50%.)
I know what you mean about having to bump up your Finale version. For years I had an older version "on loan" (ahem) from a bandleader, and got my own copy of Finale's "Print Music" - which also doesn't allow note head changes. So I bumped up to the full version. Not cheap, but again, worth it to me.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Thu May 29, 2014 3:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I actually read music fairly well, And it does feel like it takes a looooong time entering in the different noteheads and the fret numbers. Haha I might be lazy...

I am thinking it might be worth it for some stuff to just suffer with standard notation? You know... Read treble and bass clef at the same time?

Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:07 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
I actually read music fairly well, And it does feel like it takes a looooong time entering in the different noteheads and the fret numbers. Haha I might be lazy...

I am thinking it might be worth it for some stuff to just suffer with standard notation? You know... Read treble and bass clef at the same time?

If' you're just "writing music", then standard notation is all you need, but if you want to teach someone how to play something via tapping, I find it really helpful to spell out the fingerings. This is a kind of choreography for the hand, and if you have a certain way in mind how to play something, then you are just making people waste their time trying to figure out fingerings.

I use fingerings to shift position, set up pull-offs, etc, so they are not irrelevant, when plying an instrument that is more than a static structure like keyboard.

But you're right, it does take time. I should work on a macro that would allow finger selection at the moment the notehead is entered.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Just as an aside. I've learnt so much about improving my overall reading and diatonic navigation of the Stick by using something like Sibelius.

Understanding the scale and note placement of our illustrious instrument, via these programmes, has really helped. It's definitely worth the time spent and a little pain, before you become more proficient at note input.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Stickrad wrote:
Understanding the scale and note placement of our illustrious instrument, via these programmes, has really helped. It's definitely worth the time spent and a little pain, before you become more proficient at note input.

I just make fret maps, like this one for Ten String Raised Matched Reciprocal:

I have offered in the past to make these for any tuning, but no one took me up on it.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:44 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Cool chart. Interested in posting one for regular matched reciprocal?

It's interesting to see how people approach this instrument, it is so new and it would seem that everyone has their own take on it. I mean, everyone who plays it sounds so unique. I am definitely starting to see that everyone has their own methodology towards how they learn and practice, too.

I really like the stick tab concept. I think it is very cool how it still utilizes standard notation. I might just have to learn to input it more adeptly.

I will know more I suppose, once I get my hands on a stick. (Very soon.)

Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:35 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Cool chart. Interested in posting one for regular matched reciprocal?

No problem, how many strings?

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:43 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

10 strings. hahah I think. Yes, 10.

Thanks so much! No rush, whenever you get to it!

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:49 pm