It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:49 pm

Beautiful Corea tune Crystal Silence in Stick Tab 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Beautiful Corea tune Crystal Silence in Stick Tab
I love this song.

The footnotes which may be hard to read for some are made clear in this post.

File 3304 says try the 1/2-1 scale when soloing on the F#7#9 chord. And the Em7 chord says it's built down from the 7th D to avoid repetition of the high Bb in the first Em7 chord two chords earlier.

On file 3305 it says the G Maj 7 chord is quintal to avoid the same voicing as the recent Em7 chord.

For the A7sus4 chord it says, though not a i chord it's name implies Corea intends for it to be non-quartal because quartals built down from their fifths would have sus4ths anyway.

The Bm (add9) has an ambiguous analysis as the i- or v- so is quartal instead of the normal tertian (built in thirds) voicing for i- chords and to soften it's stability as the end of a double period since the middle eight is coming next.

On file 3306 the footnote below the Emaj chord says it's treated as a IVmaj7 so it's quartal. I've avoided repeating the top note as it's 5th B which is already in the previous chord but would have been closest.

the B-7 chord has a dual interpretation but I'm treating it as a i- chord so has a tertian voicing.

For file 3307 It says to try D harmonic major over the D maj7#5 chord when soloing.

3308 has directions for performance: Go back to the beginning and play through measure 9, which you hold for an extra measure and is where the solos start. Then proceed through the form; AABA for solos. After solos play AABA with the main melody a last time except the last A is treated as the A with the first ending but go to the two chords at the bottom of the page from the Bmin(add9) chord and not to the C Maj7.

The next tune I post will be "500 Miles High."

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Tatsu on Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:05 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Beautiful Corea tune Crystal Silence in Stick Tab
Here's the last two pages.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:06 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

It's a real nice song Tatsu...I completly agree with you. It's a shame I can't read well your photos (paper)...too small for me. I read about your analysis and some aspects of it are not easy to understand...I know what you were facing in your analyse. I tried myself and sometimes the best solution is imagine a chord in a context of "a new ONE chord" situation. Well...nice job man.

Am I wrong or if your first chord is a Bm? On my chart it's an Am...

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Kataway wrote:
It's a real nice song Tatsu...I completly agree with you. It's a shame I can't read well your photos (paper)...too small for me. I read about your analysis and some aspects of it are not easy to understand...I know what you were facing in your analyse. I tried myself and sometimes the best solution is imagine a chord in a context of "a new ONE chord" situation. Well...nice job man.

When you click on the images to get the bigger version what are you seeing? They seem clear to me.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:13 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

EricTheGray wrote:
Kataway wrote:

When you click on the images to get the bigger version what are you seeing? They seem clear to me.

-Eric

It's bigger but not enough...and this blue pen on white background...well it's tough to see it all...

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Gar Burton's version of this, with and without Chick, is pretty spectacular also.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:29 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Hi Kataway,

yes, my first chord is a B-7. I took the version I have from the Bb Real Book so that's why the discrepancy. The whole tune might need to be transposed down a whole step if you try to play this with people who know the version in the original key. That's not a bad thing since transposition is an essential keyboard and stick skill.

We can talk about chord analysis more if you'd like but for now I'm not going to go there. The tune is what it is, regardless of how the chords are interpreted. What sounds good over the chords is what sounds good. That's what's important and not the analysis.

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:24 pm