It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 What do you practice in a day? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post What do you practice in a day?

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post What do you practice in a day?
I practice scales/modes and chord changes as warm up. Spend most of the time free composing and working on my own or cover tunes. I've been looking thro Emmett's book a lot recently. There's much depth in there that it's taken me a couple reads to start uncovering it.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Last edited by carvingcode on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: What do you practice in a day?
-Still working on being able to play tune #2 of my catalog. (Well, technically #3, as I played a Christmas carol last year...) It's getting very close!
-Working on some two-hand coordination for being able to improvise a little over song #1 of my catalog.
I find that I have my best results when:
1) I have had enough sleep regularly (this doesn't happen too often, unfortunately;
2) I'm well hydrated;
3) I play things very slowly;
4) I warm up first. I've started to go back to the Rudiments chapter of Greg's Stick Book Vol 1.
Great post, Jay!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hi Jaye.

I'm just getting back into some decent practice, so this is a timely question.

For me I start with very basic chromatic scale warm ups, brett for brett (bass descending/melody ascending). Then probably some octave pentatonic scales, both bass and melody side ascending and descending in parallel diatonic octaves, no cheating.

I use 4 finger method on bass and 3 on Melody side which helps shake things up a little.

I have two jazz type arrangements I'm working on, Blue Monk and Christine, an AU original from a friend over here.

I'll try some bass bass/melody independence after that, like a typical Bob C bass motor, but really focus on my choice of melody making sure it's informed by my ear and not just my hands.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Great thread, Jay!

What I practice evolves over time depending on my current goals.

For instance, when I started out 11 months ago, my focus was:

1) figure out how to make two-handed funky style bass work
2) try to fake my way through the head of Blue Ridge on my DBR 10-string.

But I really wanted more of the Free Hands stuff, so I got the Baritone Melody Railboard and focused on:

1) developing hand independence (still a primary goal!) - I worked on exercises from Greg's book. But mainly, I worked on this by:
2) learning to play some songs cleanly (DBR does not lend itself to Blue Ridge. :lol: )

After 11 months, I can muddle through 3 songs (two of Greg's, one Larry Tuttle) on some level. I am planning to torment our assembled turkey eaters later this month.

Over these 11 months, I would spend maybe 10 - 15 minutes on exercises and get bored and then spend 40 - 45 minutes on those three songs.

Until yesterday, I was focused on:

1) developing hand independence and the ability to improvise over a "complex" left-hand motor. I really have very limited ability to do this and I want to get better. I am working on the various modal scales in Greg's book against simple left hands. It's tough going but quite interesting.
2) getting my three songs cleaner and add an improv solo to one.
3) add a fourth song! Oh my!

Yesterday, I got emailed an invitation to an audition to do the Stick bass thing - so my focus is flipped again now to two-handed funky bass (which is where I started 12 months ago.) If I get this gig, I hope to get to a point where I know and can play the repertoire of bass parts and then continue on with my true Free Hands work.

Specific to your questions - I use Greg's The Stick Book and his Song Book (his DVD is great - worth watching a couple times a year.) I think my greatest breakthrough was realizing that it took me 9 months to play the head of Blue Ridge all the way through but it took my 3 months to play the head of Charmed Life and then 1 month to play Boomerang. This is incredibly inspiring to me because when I started out, I was convinced I couldn't actually "do" this. My dismal failures recur whenever I listen to recordings of myself. :P So, I try not to record myself.

Hope this helps!

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫
Tarara 10-String #6300 DBR
Black Railboard #6594 BM
♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫

Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:52 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Luc wrote:
-Still working on being able to play tune #2 of my catalog. (Well, technically #3, as I played a Christmas carol last year...) It's getting very close!
-Working on some two-hand coordination for being able to improvise a little over song #1 of my catalog.
I find that I have my best results when:
1) I have had enough sleep regularly (this doesn't happen too often, unfortunately;
2) I'm well hydrated;
3) I play things very slowly;
4) I warm up first. I've started to go back to the Rudiments chapter of Greg's Stick Book Vol 1.
Great post, Jay!

Admit it Luc, you would rather call it a "Dog"-alog. It is ok, we will still know what you mean! :D

Mike

Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

For practice I normally focus on general stuff like attitude, emotion, time measure, tempo... The flow and "story telling aspects" is what I practice, not the specific notes etc. I.e. I try to play as I would at a concert, except that I allow myself to experiment with going over the top in all directions.

Right now I'm making music for a short film and because of this I often play all kinds of variations of a few themes; searching for what might evoke the vibes needed for this film (just read the manuscript yesterday and soaked up a blueprint for a score to be)

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
For practice I normally focus on general stuff like attitude, emotion, time measure, tempo... The flow and "story telling aspects" is what I practice, not the specific notes etc. I.e. I try to play as I would at a concert, except that I allow myself to experiment with going over the top in all directions.

Right now I'm making music for a short film and because of this I often play all kinds of variations of a few themes; searching for what might evoke the vibes needed for this film (just read the manuscript yesterday and soaked up a blueprint for a score to be)

Coolest response. +1

Rosewood Alto #5764

Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:58 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Per Boysen wrote:

Hi Per, Do you mean that you focus on your own attitude and emotion that you are feeling at the time you are (currently)practicing or the one you wish to convey as you are (later)performing, or do you mean something else? However you mean it, the notion is something I haven't thought of before this thread.

Thanks for posting, and thanks to all who have and will reply.

Mike

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I use to say that I don't practice but I play. I'm trying to be conscious all the time of this relation between my 2 hands, what chord I'm thinking about, the progression I do have in mind, my choice of notes and what they represent versus the whole thing...What I mean is I always want to be conscious if I play a tonic, a third, a fifth, etc...or a tension...or a hyper structure between the hands...etc...but first...I play.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:47 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next