It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Stick Lessons via Skype and Facetime 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Stick Lessons via Skype video
dubyasee wrote:
I just completed a first Skype lesson with Greg. After a moment of getting the session together technically, I was able to explain to Greg what I wanted from the lessons. He went right to the heart of the matter and addressed bio-mechanic issues of Stick height and arm/elbow movement (as opposed to my penchant for little arm/elbow movement and lots of finger exertion).

I marvel at the technology that allows this and am truly grateful.

When I explained my excitement to coworkers about my impending lesson with Greg, I put it: Imagine being a new comer to guitar and being able to take a lesson from Jimi Hendrix!

I look forward to future lessons with Greg and becoming a better Stick player than I ever could on my own.

Hi Walter,
Thanks for your patience in working things out. For reference for anyone with a MOTU 896 (and perhaps their other interfaces as well):

Skype seems to prefer a mono audio signal, and it needs to be channel 1 or 2 on the interface. I ended up using a nice condenser mic to catch the room sound of the amp rather then running direct in with my Stick.

There are two issues to keep in mind with this kind of lesson.

1. It's really impossible to do anything "together," due to latency and skype's inability to have audio signals passing clearly in both directions simultaneously.

2. It's important to have your camera and lighting such that you can move about a bit to fit both hands into the frame when needed.

Otherwise I thought it went great, and I hope you got some good stuff to work on out of it until next time.

As far as any comparisons between me and Hendrix are concerned, that's quite a compliment. And I know you don't mean that I'm a player of Hendrix's calibre, but this is a small pond and there are a lot of other big fish in it as well. So let's say I consider the Stick world well-stocked with Hendrix's. Any of us can learn a lot watching each other.

Can I hear a 7#9 ?!

Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi all,

One of my students suggests this recorder for documenting your lessons (if you have a Mac)

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/

He was able to set it so that only his video was recorded, and I believe all of the audio.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
Hi all,

One of my students suggests this recorder for documenting your lessons (if you have a Mac)

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/

He was able to set it so that only his video was recorded, and I believe all of the audio.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Thanks for the tip, that looks good. It's interesting that this is on the product's page:

product page wrote:
Call Recorder is great for lessons, interviews or just having fun.

Using Skype for lessons is a big thing out there. I'm glad we got it going for our very visual instrument.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

hey
Just downloaded the demo of the call recording software. I hope to try it out soon maybe with you Greg soon. I do have to point out that this makes it a lot easier to record the lesson. I wish their was some way we could simply for the fact that their where a few things we went over in the lesson that required a visual reference that I just could not get from the audio recording.

10 String BM Tarara Stick #5334
Bergen Norway

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

giedosst wrote:
hey
Just downloaded the demo of the call recording software. I hope to try it out soon maybe with you Greg soon. I do have to point out that this makes it a lot easier to record the lesson. I wish their was some way we could simply for the fact that their where a few things we went over in the lesson that required a visual reference that I just could not get from the audio recording.

Hi Steve,

Please do and let us know how well it works. See you soon.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Just got through with my first lesson from Greg via Skype. It is an invaluable resource to have a one on one lesson with a professional. I am just starting out on the Stick (In my second month) and this was just the jumpstart I needed. I would reccomend his lessons to anyone out there. This was my first time using Skype and I would reccomend calling somebody else with video before hand (I had a little trouble in the beginning). All in all a great lesson and I have plenty to work on and constructive feedback. Thanks :D

Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:25 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Try'n2Tap wrote:
Just got through with my first lesson from Greg via Skype. It is an invaluable resource to have a one on one lesson with a professional. I am just starting out on the Stick (In my second month) and this was just the jumpstart I needed. I would reccomend his lessons to anyone out there. This was my first time using Skype and I would reccomend calling somebody else with video before hand (I had a little trouble in the beginning). All in all a great lesson and I have plenty to work on and constructive feedback. Thanks :D

Hi JC,

It was a pleasure, and you are a patient and attentive student. Thanks so much for the vote of confidence.

Even something as simple as talking through the truss adjustment is a great aspect of this lesson format.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Admin

For folks interested in multiple concurrent videocons:

http://www.oovoo.com/

A free account gives you up to 3 concurrent users on a video call.

For their $10/month plan (Windows only so far), you get:
* 6-way live video chats.
* High Resolution video.
* Unlimited recording of video calls.
* Up to 1,000 minutes of video storage and streaming.
* Unlimited video messages.
* Up to 5 minutes of video message recording.
* Lots of fun video effects.
* Create up to five video chat rooms.
* Web video calling with friends who don’t have ooVoo.

FYI

Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Manny wrote:
For folks interested in multiple concurrent videocons:

http://www.oovoo.com/

A free account gives you up to 3 concurrent users on a video call.

For their $10/month plan (Windows only so far), you get:
* 6-way live video chats.
* High Resolution video.
* Unlimited recording of video calls.
* Up to 1,000 minutes of video storage and streaming.
* Unlimited video messages.
* Up to 5 minutes of video message recording.
* Lots of fun video effects.
* Create up to five video chat rooms.
* Web video calling with friends who don’t have ooVoo.

FYI

Anyone know if there is there anything like this that's cross-platform or Mac-Specific?

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
Anyone know if there is there anything like this that's cross-platform or Mac-Specific?

ooVoo has a Mac version of its software now. It doesn't have the video effects that the Win version has, but, that's probably not an issue for lessons. I would be happy to try this out with people to see how it works.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next