It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:32 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Stick Lessons via Skype and Facetime 
Post Re: Stick Lessons via Skype video
I thought iChat could do video conferencing. Mac guys...here's your cue.

Michael

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:21 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

euphtub wrote:
I thought iChat could do video conferencing. Mac guys...here's your cue.

Michael

Yes, iChat can do 4 way video conferencing. But, you need macs that are all on OS X 10.5. It works extremely well, I have used it a ton. I once had a long video chat with iChat with a friend, with no glitches. Just before we signed off he said, "Oh, by the way, I'm sitting in the lobby of my hotel in Hong Kong!"

The idea of things like skype and ooVoo is that we can chat from Mac to Win to Linux. Also, sometimes you want to be able to record the video on their server, not your computer. These services can be good. I think one that is dedicated to music lessons that runs on all platforms would be a killer idea. Actually, it's an idea that I am working on.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

iChat also works with AIM over Windows. Another benefit with iChat is that it allows you to record your video chats as MPEG-4 format files for later viewing.

Take care,

Paul

Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

grandstick wrote:
iChat also works with AIM over Windows. Another benefit with iChat is that it allows you to record your video chats as MPEG-4 format files for later viewing.

Take care,

Paul

Okay, time to get a new Mac....

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

grandstick wrote:

Take care,

Paul

Yes, it will and I have not had a Mac to Win video chat using iChat yet. Anyone want to experiment? I think it might need the AIM software on Win XP or Vista. Japhlet in Minnesota, Ricardo in Portugal, and I in Wisconsin, tried to have a 3-way video iChat a while back. It would work great as long as all of us had our full bandwidth running. However, Japhlet's kept cutting in and out and it would kill the whole chat. It sure was fun when it was going, though!

Saving the video chats is good idea and for people who are shy, iChat won't start recording without everyone's permission.

-Eric

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

One thing to keep in mind (as far as iChat is concerned), is that the video conference is only as strong as the person (or, rather, their equipment) who initiates it. Meaning, the person who starts the video chat needs to have a reasonably recent computer and a fast internet connection, as their computer essentially becomes the "host," (not literally, as in - "the server" - but the hosting computer is the weakest link in the conference).

I always connect myself second, or last when it comes to video conferencing - as my "chatting" computer is a 4.5 year old PowerBook and my internet connection is over WiMax (off the wired grid, so to speak).

I don't know if the AIM software supports video conferencing (on either the Mac or Windows side).

In the name of universality, Skype seems to be the best solution for Mac, Windows and Linux users.

*** DISCLAIMER - I am an employee of Apple, Inc., but I do not represent the company here in any way, shape or form. I usually duck out when it comes to Apple-related issues on all forums in which I participate, but video conferencing seemed innocuous enough. ***

Take care,

Paul

EricTheGray wrote:
grandstick wrote:

Take care,

Paul

Yes, it will and I have not had a Mac to Win video chat using iChat yet. Anyone want to experiment? I think it might need the AIM software on Win XP or Vista. Japhlet in Minnesota, Ricardo in Portugal, and I in Wisconsin, tried to have a 3-way video iChat a while back. It would work great as long as all of us had our full bandwidth running. However, Japhlet's kept cutting in and out and it would kill the whole chat. It sure was fun when it was going, though!

Saving the video chats is good idea and for people who are shy, iChat won't start recording without everyone's permission.

-Eric

Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi, all.

I'm bumping this thread because I had a lesson with Greg. I'd like to encourage everyone to try this out! As we all know, Greg is a wonderful player with what seems to me to be infinite technique. He is also a composer and author with a growing set of books and materials for us. But, for me, his greatest skill comes out in a lesson. He has taught so many people over the years that in the first lesson with him he has you figured out. He can zoom right in to the very core of your playing and see where you need growth the most.

Like a lot of Stick players, I've been teaching myself how to play with just the help of books, this forum, and a few seminars. It appears that I've made good progress this way! (Thanks for the compliment, Greg, I'm still glowing from it!) However, I've also picked up some bad habits, of course. Greg is able to see the whole of your playing and cut right to the chase. You'll find out where your greatest weakness is, but, more importantly, you'll find out how to improve it.

I already knew what my weakness was, I have no groove! My time sense is almost non-existent. I know that all too well, what I didn't know was how to improve it. I've tried everything I know about. There was nothing more for me to try. Greg saw this issue, too. But, he was able to tell me how to start attacking the issue. He told me the small baby-steps I need to take right now, not the theory that I already know.

I'm going to work on this for a month and have another lesson. I hope he'll see some progress. If he doesn't I'm sure that'll he have more things for me to try. This expert ability to see the whole of someone's playing and know what they need, takes a long time to develop, decades usually. A few Stick players have that experience. And Greg is just a few mouse clicks away. To be able to have lessons from him on a routine basis is truly amazing.

Skype lessons work! You need to just try it and see how much farther it will take you. I can't recommend this enough, just do it!

-Eric

Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

EricTheGray wrote:
Hi, all.

I'm bumping this thread because I had a lesson with Greg. I'd like to encourage everyone to try this out! As we all know, Greg is a wonderful player with what seems to me to be infinite technique. He is also a composer and author with a growing set of books and materials for us. But, for me, his greatest skill comes out in a lesson. He has taught so many people over the years that in the first lesson with him he has you figured out. He can zoom right in to the very core of your playing and see where you need growth the most.

Like a lot of Stick players, I've been teaching myself how to play with just the help of books, this forum, and a few seminars. It appears that I've made good progress this way! (Thanks for the compliment, Greg, I'm still glowing from it!) However, I've also picked up some bad habits, of course. Greg is able to see the whole of your playing and cut right to the chase. You'll find out where your greatest weakness is, but, more importantly, you'll find out how to improve it.

I already knew what my weakness was, I have no groove! My time sense is almost non-existent. I know that all too well, what I didn't know was how to improve it. I've tried everything I know about. There was nothing more for me to try. Greg saw this issue, too. But, he was able to tell me how to start attacking the issue. He told me the small baby-steps I need to take right now, not the theory that I already know.

I'm going to work on this for a month and have another lesson. I hope he'll see some progress. If he doesn't I'm sure that'll he have more things for me to try. This expert ability to see the whole of someone's playing and know what they need, takes a long time to develop, decades usually. A few Stick players have that experience. And Greg is just a few mouse clicks away. To be able to have lessons from him on a routine basis is truly amazing.

Skype lessons work! You need to just try it and see how much farther it will take you. I can't recommend this enough, just do it!

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for a kind report about the lesson. You are a really hard-working student. You've set some ambitious goals for yourself and are tackling them in a systematic way. It's been great to watch your growth as a player, and I look forward to more. I'm certain you'll get to where you want to be.

Thanks for encouraging others to try the lessons out, it's been a great experience for me as well, so thanks to all of you who've tried it out. I'm learning more about teaching all the time.

Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

EricTheGray wrote:
Hi, all.
-Eric

Yes they do work, I had a lesson with Greg a week or so ago. I would recommend them to anyone especially a beginner. I've had my stick for several years but approached this now as a beginner which I really feel like. I’m kind of taking a couple steps back and concentrating on the basics again. It’s been frustrating for me, mainly because I tend to jam more than practice and mostly jam using two handed bass and melodies recording them at different times which I’ve gotten better at but basically suck on independent playing. I think even if I don’t do a lot of two handed independent playing or don’t do solo work it is important to learn and it helps the syncopated two handed stuff I jam on with some friends. I've been floating back and forth on the 3 or 4 finger technique for my right hand and also had a real hard time getting on track with my left hand getting a solid bass line going even though I've played bass and guitar since high school, in the 70's. Greg has given me some advice to work on some basics that I've been kind of skipping the entire time I've had my sticks. I plan on having some more sessions with Greg and would like to do a couple with Don sometime, if he is still doing them just to get another point of view and meet Don. The only drawback is you can’t play at the same time, but it really isn’t needed for a good lesson. You have to get used to speaking or playing and then waiting for the other guy but it does work and is really cool. Again I highly recommend these.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:02 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Everyone,

So far I've had lessons with people in 7 different time zones. So sometimes I'm drinking coffee at 8:00 in the morning while my student on the other side of the world is drinking a beer (hopefully the first).

I don't know what Don's experience has been, but for me the setup that seems to work best is an amp in each room, with one mic to pick up the sound in each room.

Anyway, I just wanted to remind folks that I'm doing this, as is Don Schiff. If you're interested, Skype is free and all you need is a web cam and a PayPal account to get going (and a Stick of course).

Drop me or Don a line if interested in further details.

Happy Tapping,
Greg

Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next