It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Stick Lessons via Skype and Facetime 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Stick Lessons via Skype video
A quick question for you Skype users - is it possible to record the session?

I'm thinking that if you were either taking a lesson or collaborating with others having the ability to go back and review the material would be great.

Dave

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:42 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DaveS wrote:

I'm thinking that if you were either taking a lesson or collaborating with others having the ability to go back and review the material would be great.

Dave

Yes, it is. However, we wouldn't want these to start showing up on YouTube. This would have to have the permission of the teacher and if people abused this it might kill the whole thing. So, you would have to take it up with Greg, Don, or whoever you are Skyping with.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

greg wrote:
The firewire audio interface, MOTU 896 works fine too, I just have to assign only the input where the mic is plugged in for the "Monitor Input" on the MOTU Firewire Console.

WOW, lucky there. Most people I've met who have nice audio interfaces can't them with flash or skype (which don't see the hardware) and have to resort to there cheap audio interface.

EricTheGray wrote:
DaveS wrote:

Dave

Yes, it is. However, we wouldn't want these to start showing up on YouTube. This would have to have the permission of the teacher and if people abused this it might kill the whole thing. So, you would have to take it up with Greg, Don, or whoever you are Skyping with.
-Eric

I went off about Stickam on another thread a video service I use for every gig BUT regarding the issue above Skype wins because it's one on one, not wide open video.

MarcDobson.com
MarcRocs facebook

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:02 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

EricTheGray wrote:
DaveS wrote:

Dave

-Eric

Oh - that's definately a given. My interest was strictly for personal use only. And it would make sense for all parties involved to give their consent. Not sure what legal ramifications would be - I guess something like recording phone coversations - you have to let the other person know and then they can consider continuing the converstation or hanging up...

Dave

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:58 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

OK, with all that said, and assuming you have reached an agreement with your teacher, then this is how you do it. On Windows I recommend Camtasia and on Mac iShowU HD Pro. They are screen capture programs that will capture anything on the screen and all sound. You will need a reasonably fast computer and a good amount of RAM, but they really work well. Skype runs in a smaller window or full screen. I suggest that you use the small window instead of full screen when recording. You can tell the software to capture just the part of the monitor that is showing your teacher. You also don't need to highest audio settings since Skype is not giving you that level anyway. I make screencasts for my students all the time and have gotten handy with the software and with Final Cut for editing of the video. PM me if you would like some help.

-Eric

Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I use this Eric with iChat on the Mac...

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/conferencerecorder/

Kris

Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:19 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Kris wrote:
I use this Eric with iChat on the Mac...

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/conferencerecorder/

Kris

Cool, and they also have one for mac and Skype:

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/callrecorder/

There must be some for Win too, haven't checked yet. These would be much simpler than using a general screen recorder.

-Eric

Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DaveS wrote:

Dave

Hi Dave,

What I've been telling people is that they can record their video images for reference, and an audio of the lesson for their own reference. As Eric indicated, no one should want these showing up on YouTube, and since they are private lessons, they should remain just that.

So no distribution or copying of the material is allowed, nor should you share it with other students.

Does that seem reasonable to you folks?

The easiest way to do the former would be, if you are using a firewire camera, to just record the session onto a tape (or whatever medium is used for the camera). That would also include all of the audio.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I just completed a first Skype lesson with Greg. After a moment of getting the session together technically, I was able to explain to Greg what I wanted from the lessons. He went right to the heart of the matter and addressed bio-mechanic issues of Stick height and arm/elbow movement (as opposed to my penchant for little arm/elbow movement and lots of finger exertion).

I marvel at the technology that allows this and am truly grateful.

When I explained my excitement to coworkers about my impending lesson with Greg, I put it: Imagine being a new comer to guitar and being able to take a lesson from Jimi Hendrix!

I look forward to future lessons with Greg and becoming a better Stick player than I ever could on my own.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

dubyasee wrote:
I just completed a first Skype lesson with Greg. After a moment of getting the session together technically, I was able to explain to Greg what I wanted from the lessons. He went right to the heart of the matter and addressed bio-mechanic issues of Stick height and arm/elbow movement (as opposed to my penchant for little arm/elbow movement and lots of finger exertion).

I can almost hear exactly what he was saying because I heard it at the seminar I went to.

dubyasee wrote:
I marvel at the technology that allows this and am truly grateful.

Me too.

dubyasee wrote:
When I explained my excitement to coworkers about my impending lesson with Greg, I put it: Imagine being a new comer to guitar and being able to take a lesson from Jimi Hendrix!

I teach a hard field to smart people for a living and, frankly, I'm a harsh critic of teaching styles and abilities. While Greg is one of our top players he might very well be THE top Stick educator. I learn from all contacts with him: email, forum, seminars, and now Skype. I think he has a complete pedagogy for Stick and that is crucial for the evolution of our instrument.

dubyasee wrote:
I look forward to future lessons with Greg and becoming a better Stick player than I ever could on my own.

This is really the heart of the matter. Too many of us are trying to teach ourselves. Without having a hundred Stick teachers to choose from nearby, like bass teachers, a lot of us struggle alone. Distance video education is a dream come true for smaller communities of learners.

Thanks for the report.

-Eric

Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next