It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:36 am

Downscale Legato 

Post Downscale Legato
OK I'm having a wee bit of a technique issue. When I try legato from say C to D I get two clear distinct notes with a smooth transition. When I try from D to C the C ends up sounding 'dampened'. I guess my finger is still pressing on D and If I lift D first it's more of a staccato than a legato. My guess is I have to lift a millisecond before tapping the C. Tried it, darned hard to get it right, unless I'm doing it completely wrong.

Grand Stick #6524 in Dark Bamboo, Black Pearl Linears, Pearl Gray Tuners, PASV-4
Carvin AG100D Amp

http://southernexposuretrading.com

Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:43 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Downscale Legato
skyking wrote:
OK I'm having a wee bit of a technique issue. When I try legato from say C to D I get two clear distinct notes with a smooth transition. When I try from D to C the C ends up sounding 'dampened'. I guess my finger is still pressing on D and If I lift D first it's more of a staccato than a legato. My guess is I have to lift a millisecond before tapping the C. Tried it, darned hard to get it right, unless I'm doing it completely wrong.
This subject is covered quite thoroughly in the "Melody Movement"section of my DVD, Basic Free Hands Technique. The solution is to use hand movement to shift the hand slightly along the line of the string to play the notes instead of just lifting the fingers up and down in a typing motion. Timing the release of the higher note is not an issue because as the hand shifts to attack the lower note, the higher note ends a split second before.

True legato, but with a slight attack, differentiated from hammer-ons and pull-offs.

I'm not saying this is the only solution, but it's an elegant and very effective one, and you will only find it in this DVD. Check it out!

http://www.greghoward.com/free_hands/dvd/

also available from SE

http://www.stick.com/instruction/videos/basicfreehands/

Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:10 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

EVH..! Classic.

I've seen Greg play EVH licks quite unconsciously... :lol:

Greg's book is like having your white blood cell count raised with a booster shot, it's as good as that.

Legato is the Stickists most essential technique, I would say. Ya always want more legato or more bottom end, now where is that new DBR Stick. ;)

I actually said to my partner this morning, "If I ever play that poicky sound, just kill me."

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Skyking, I've watched Greg's DVD now at least 5 or 6 times. Getting the notes to ring out in the "up" scale movement is pretty simple, it's the other direction that's tricky. It is all about hand movement, elbow and arm angles as Greg says. I've also practiced the pull offs, and I'm making head way with that technic. If you don't have Greg's video I would highly recommend you get it.
Steve's DVD and book are also extremely valuable. I have very limited knowledge of music theory. Steve hits home and makes it understandable. I am now 'getting it', ie: music theory.. scales, chords, minors, 7ths' 9th's, etc.
I have been watching the great instructional video Greg posted on how to play "Time After time". *whew*... I can do each part separately (LH, RH), and a few 'strands' of the song I can play together at the same time. But... there's still a long way to go! That song will be my climb up the mountain so to speak, lol!
Some quality time spent with Steve A has been helping me in that regard as well. I feel like my practice is now more structured. I have a better understanding of the geometry of the stick and therefore a better understanding of how to play music on it.

Different approaches, yet each one adds more and more to my knowledge as I read the books and watch the DVD's.... I am very thirsty for this info too! I wanna be GH and SA by next week! Hell, each with 30 years or so experience, I've got some catching up to do :lol:
So much to learn, so little time :D !
Rand

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:36 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thats a toughy, going down like that. You are still leaving that finger on the upper note whilst trying to strike the lower note....hard habit to break. I know 'cause I'm still working on it myself.

Shifting that hand is the best bet, as Greg says. Striking the first note and sliding down with the SAME finger is another alternative, although this still endorses hand movement. Youtube David Tipton play Yesterday (Beatles) and you'll see some good examples of what you are trying to accomplish. (or any other Tune by David, he gets a lot of mileage out of that slide down)

cheers,
kev

Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
This is a great DVD... All I can say.haha I am working out the "pulloffs" thing myself... If I ever wanna play like EVH I'm gonna have to work it...
Thanks Scott, Rad, and RandO,

Glad you like the DVD!

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks all for the great input. Getting Greg's DVD and may schedule a Skype lesson to get me headed in the right direction. Good thing I haven't played in 30 years, will make 'unlearning' some things a bit easier.

Grand Stick #6524 in Dark Bamboo, Black Pearl Linears, Pearl Gray Tuners, PASV-4
Carvin AG100D Amp

http://southernexposuretrading.com

Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:06 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I noticed you are in New Hampshire. Any chance you could make it down for the Stick Night in Connecticut this Saturday, or even the seminar this weekend?

Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

skyking wrote:
Thanks all for the great input. Getting Greg's DVD and may schedule a Skype lesson to get me headed in the right direction. Good thing I haven't played in 30 years, will make 'unlearning' some things a bit easier.

Lessons with Greg at the beginning is most recommended. I had a seminar with him at my Stick beginnings and it was huge for me. Bad habits avoided is far better than breaking them later.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery