It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:02 am

Tablature software for Stick? 

Post Tablature software for Stick?
Is anybody using tablature software for the Stick? I mean applications such as Guitar Pro (commercial) or TuxGuitar (open source, supports many of the GP formats). While both of these applications allow you to do things such as changing the tuning on the instruments you use (assigning any note to any single string), they both have an artificial limit on the number of strings (7 or 8, depending on the case)

In my particular case I don't do much composition, but I like tablature software for two main reasons: 1) reading music, and 2) using the "scales" feature, which is very cool when you are trying to identify patterns for finger positions based on a scale (I'm attaching a screenshot with Guitar Pro's version of this feature)

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2015-07-04 at 10.38.12.png

I'm a software engineer, and I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile extending something like TuxGuitar and adding such a feature. Thoughts?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Black Railboard #6760, black and gold tuners, aqua inlays

Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:55 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Tablature software for Stick?
I don't use tab a whole lot, but I use MuseScore quite a bit, and from what I've seen, it handles tab pretty well. It might be worth checking out. Up to 14 strings per instrument, but you only need 5 or 6 (define two instruments and display both).

I don't think there's any scale features as shown in your screen shot like GP or Tuxguitar has, though.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:58 pm

Gusset wrote:
I don't use tab a whole lot, but I use MuseScore quite a bit, and from what I've seen, it handles tab pretty well. It might be worth checking out. Up to 14 strings per instrument, but you only need 5 or 6 (define two instruments and display both).

I don't think there's any scale features as shown in your screen shot like GP or Tuxguitar has, though.

Thanks! I'll give it a try... Mixing two instruments has been a recommendation for Guitar Pro and TuxGuitar too, but I want something that treats the instrument as a whole indivisible unit. For instance, with Guitar Pro you can do certain cool things such as auto arranging the fingers so that you can play different scales and chords in different positions. Such a feature would require the tool to understand the nuances of the instrument (they only do it for the guitar, and maybe bass)

Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:13 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:50 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
I like Guitar Pro 6; I use it religiously for 3 reasons. 1) It's cheap. 2) Speed Trainer function 3)Stafftab is really confusing to me...

I set up 2 staves, bass clef and treble, and it works good for me!

Me too. I edited the initial template from 5 string banjo (treble) and 5 string bass.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:48 am

Will try it out, thanks!

Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:09 pm