It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 am

How to learn the fret board while I wait and wait and wait.. 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: How to learn the fret board while I wait and wait and wa
Thanks Greg. I just downloaded Azul . Great album cool that it has trumpet and stick. Both of which I play ( well trumpet for right now)

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:12 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Greg,
thank you for the very cool pdf on how the three major scales all relate to each other.
8 downloads- c'mon everybody- this is a
FREE STICK!
OK, it's not a Free Stick, but the next best thing. Now that I have your attention, it is Greg's KeyMaps (tm) which is a virtual touchboard in real dimensions found on your Stick. So you can take this to the beach, the pool, the park, on vacation when you are on the critical packing the night before, and your significant other looks at you holding your Stick, Amp, and Pedalboard "you are NOT taking that! " :D you can use these KeyMaps (tm) anywhere and practice away.

When you're boss isn't looking, put it on your desk and tap tap away. Great way for dexterity, and for going over major scales, and with modal playing you now have 7 count em 7 scales to use over different major, minor, and half diminshed chords.

You can find more of Greg's KeyMaps (tm) in his songbook -song specific to really help you get the most out of playing the tunes, with positioning and really helpful tips on expression.The goal was to take the songbook anywhere and play and Keymaps(tm) does this beautifully and elegantly. Now in Classic and Baritone Melody!

So download and print one, keep it in the glove box, or fold it up in your wallet or purse.
Didn't the Beatles say the best things in life are free- well there ya go!

Dave B "DBro"

Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jzzb8ovn bro.

How's the wait going. Just remember you're already part of the community, that kinda helped me.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

This community is amazing. Very supportive. The wait is long but good things come to those who wait and wait and wait.... I'm good at waiting.. maybe that's a Canadian thing.lol. You know waiting for the snow to go away. I've got other music projects to work on, some videos of previous gigs to edit and gigs to set up for my jazz sextet. Some cd release parties. In the mean time I'm on here daily and watching lots of free hands friday episodes. So much to learn. Cambria said the next batch of railboards should start up before July ends. Hoping its sooner than later.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:23 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Being a current guitar player...and also in "Waiting on my order" limbo...I have taken one of my electric guitars and tuned it to match the melody side of my upcoming Grand 12. Take some Tape where the Stick markers should be and viola... Between that and some diagrams...I can at least start to build basic shapes and recognition for the right hand

Thoughts?

Am I genius or digging myself a hole and that I should put down the shovel and step away ?

Thanks
TP

Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:36 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thomas_Powers wrote:
Am I genius or digging myself a hole and that I should put down the shovel and step away ?

Thanks
TP

You are digging a hole, in that none of the muscle memory you are building will apply. The longer scale length and near absence of string tension will throw you for a loop.

Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:02 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Roger that. ..ash can that idea!

Thx...

Tp

Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:31 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Practicing tapping on guitar can't hurt. I play a ton of guitar, and I actually picked up a 9 string Ibanez while I waited.

The articulation of the notes wasn't a problem, in fact the adjustment to a Stick wasn't too bad. It was, and always has been hand independence.

Emmett started as a guitarist, so did Bob Culbertson. Steve Adelson, etc etc.

There is a long list of super effective guitar tappers. TJ Helmerich, Jennifer Batten, Stanley Jordan, Chris Broderick, Nuno Bettencourt, Eddie Van Halen, Stu Hamm, Victor Wooten, Les Claypool, etc etc.

Just grab a guitar, and tune it in 4ths. Lower the action, maybe drop the tuning and get tapping.

But who knows, maybe Robstafarian is right. I don't know, because I have never seen or heard any evidence of playing guitar or Stick..

My attitude is, practice and play. If nothing else you will have something interesting and special on a guitar that no one else can do...

Good luck!

Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:35 am
Contributor
Contributor

Well..i took a strat, tuned it to match the stick classic melody on 4ths.
While i realize it's not the same feel or spacing..it is nice to be able to start to see and feel the scales and maj, minor, 7th, minor 7th start to take shape.

I'll give it a try and if it sucks when the stick gets here..I'll have to adapt and then warn others...if it works...cool..I'll have some thing to bring back to the forum, if it's a non event...then we'll all go from there.

Granted..i know zero about stick playing..but it was nice to start to feel a little bit of what i have been trying to visualize with chord charts and diagrams.

If nothing else..it is a cool new feel on guitar. :)

This can all be solved with a miracle delivery from SE...i can hope..right ?

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:07 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Quote:
This should do the trick

http://loophole.co/STICK/

That's so awesome! I thought at first it was just a jpeg of the fretboard--which was cool enough!--but it will actually play the notes as you "tap" them (I'm using a mouse, although a touch device would be better, methinks!)

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery