It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:19 pm

Fingers get Sor 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Fingers get Sor
Quote:
There's no such thing as excessive shifting when it comes to The Stick, just excessive finger movement. The shifting creates the timing energy as much as the fingers do. Without shifting, which I do indeed call hand movement, the fingers have to do ALL the work. with shifting , they only have to do a little.

@Greg, the principle of hand movement makes sense, but can you explain how you arp basic chords by means of shifting? It's common to progress between these two shapes, but the one on the right can't be arpeggiated unless you re-finger it. Doesn't that mean you'll be using fingers 4-2-1, or 3-1-2 or something similar, so you can articulate the notes of the chord by moving fingers? Wouldn't you choose the fingering that was most comfortable to play the arpeggio?

Here's the pic I'm thinking of, from pg 4-1 of the Stick Book:

Glad for your thoughts on this. (I have these chords in a piece I'm working on.)

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:36 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Scronk wrote:
Quote:
There's no such thing as excessive shifting when it comes to The Stick, just excessive finger movement. The shifting creates the timing energy as much as the fingers do. Without shifting, which I do indeed call hand movement, the fingers have to do ALL the work. with shifting , they only have to do a little.

@Greg, the principle of hand movement makes sense, but can you explain how you arp basic chords by means of shifting? It's common to progress between these two shapes, but the one on the right can't be arpeggiated unless you re-finger it. Doesn't that mean you'll be using fingers 4-2-1, or 3-1-2 or something similar, so you can articulate the notes of the chord by moving fingers? Wouldn't you choose the fingering that was most comfortable to play the arpeggio?

Here's the pic I'm thinking of, from pg 4-1 of the Stick Book:

Glad for your thoughts on this. (I have these chords in a piece I'm working on.)

Whenever you have a 4th interval a chord you obviously have to alter the fingering for playing arpeggios where you had a double-stop before. You could finger the one on the right this way:

Code:
 1 | - | -
 2 | - | -

or

Code:
 2 | - | -
 1 | - | -

It would depend on the context of what came before and what came next. Most likley you'd want to use the first option because it's the same fingering as the major tried on the left, but there are not real "rules" here. You do what it takes to make it as musical as possible. The hand-shifting part in arpeggios involving 4th intervals comes into play when you play the two notes at the same fret with different fingers. You want to play these notes right behind the fret, so you use what I call a "traverse" move, which basically involves shifting the hand by one fret.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks Greg, that makes sense. I’ll experiment with the shifting by rolling the hand.

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Scronk wrote:
Thanks Greg, that makes sense. I’ll experiment with the shifting by rolling the hand.

Rather than "rolling", try to keep the hand's attitude constant in it's relationship with the plane of the board. That makes every "next possible" note easier to get to. If the thumb isn't moving, even a little, then the hand is not shifting.

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery