It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am

Dance Directions 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Dance Directions
I went to a website that talked about how to memorize dance steps since I couldn't find what I was looking for on a music webisite. It said first memorize the direction that you're supposed to travel, then how many steps, before learning which steps they actually are. Attached are the directions for dancing on the fingerboard. I posted something similar before but this is more comprehensive. I'm also including videos on how to practice with it.

Symmetrical Fingerings [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-E9xGRL5pw[/youtube]

Motive Schemes [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCTnaPbkyeE[/youtube]

Motives for Stick [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U0r8yjQsIY[/youtube]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:40 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Dance Directions
Greg.
I'm forever blown away by the posts you put up here, and you are a killer guitarist, and theorist.(I always watch all your vids...and those three were stellar) ....but dang dude....98% of us here are fuckin' miles away from what you are trying to get across.....its like trying to party with Robert Oppenheimer, but I'm Garth from Waynes World.

I mean this with the utmost respect dooder.......most of us are still trying to figure out how to shape a Fmaj7, but you're throwing out this stuff so blazingly fast that its light speed.

Can you show us how to play "last dance with mary jane" ....or something on the Chapman Stick, that the Collective Body of this forum can have a chance to decipher?
I'm sure there's cats on here that get what your saying, but they may number in the handful.

Dude, you are the man....but sheesh....can you dumb it down for us troglodytes?

cheers,
kev

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Dance Directions
Hi Kev,

I thought the post on how to play major minor modes was similar to what you're talking about. Every once in a while I throw in a post like on how to play "August, Die She Must," or whatever it's actual name is, by Neil Simon etc... They're on the board, here and there.

I seem to use the board as a place to record my thoughts. It's just thinking out loud. Other Stickists do something similar where they teach what it is what they want to LEARN and that's definitely where I'm going with this current train of thought.

Next in this vein I'm going to talk about how to memorize a long string of seemingly random motives and then how to shuffle them in infinite permutations because that's what I'd like to be able to do. Wouldn't you like to just forget about scales, keys and chords and just play when you solo? I can do that other stuff somewhat and I've done it for a long time. It's boring for me even if I never did it as well as I might have liked.

The ability to move a string of motives around in any direction oblivious to everything can exist in contrast to other ways of playing that many of you already have. Let's stretch ourselves a bit shall we?

Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:01 am