It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

How to memorize a long, seemingly random string of motives. 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post How to memorize a long, seemingly random string of motives.
The website on memorization said that when you have something to memorize that doesn't seem to have much of a pattern then to just chunk things into groups of 2,3 or 4. On the attached page are some motives and not only are most of them individually named, they're also numbered in the order to play them, as well as grouped together. The groups have names written on the far left and far right vertically at the margins. The chunking of data helps toward memorization. So instead of thinking Short Track 1, Short Track 2, Short Track 3 we will think TRACKS, STAIRS, RAILS, CLOTHES, BOX, SHARDS, CONVEYORS, ESCALATORS, VALLEY, MESA, OTHER VALLEYS, MOUTAINS, SMALL BOAT, LARGE BOATS.

To assist the memorization process we can make a story that we took a train on the tracks and when we got off there were some stairs with rails. We were only wearing a bikini and a hat carrying a box of shards. In the train station we took the arrival conveyor to the escalators and upon leaving the train station we were presented with a panorama comprised of a valley and mesa. Farther in the distance were other valleys and mountains but we had to catch a small boat. It capsized and we were rescued by 2 large schooners which also capsized.

I hope to post a vid soon of playing through that on the Dance Directions.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:26 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: How to memorize a long, seemingly random string of motiv
This always have been a problem for me. I learned to read music to get over it. But I learned I was almost 30. It's like to learn another language, you get an accent...so I have (I guess) a huge accent when I read music...lol.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Since this is a Stick forum, and you mentioned memorization, I thought I'd share a little trick: tetrachords.

The classical definition of a tetrachord is four notes, two of which are a perfect fourth apart, and the other two are within that range. For quite some time I used six of them, all played on one string: Lydian, Dorian, Phrygian, and expanded the definition to include Diminished Half-Whole, Harmonic, & Whole Tone (the last three names are my own, for convenience).

So, for, let's say, A minor:
Lydian - CDEF
Dorian - ABCD or DEFG
Phrygian - BCDE or EFGA
Dim Half-Whole - G#ABC
Harmonic - EFG#A
Whole Tone - FGAB

So each of these is a four-note pattern. (Five-note patterns, that's another animal.) And they collectively describe a whole lot of patterns you're going to run across, so if you get them under your fingers, you've got a kind of short-hand.

Also, you could describe a scale on the bass side this way: D major, from low to high: Lydian Lydian Dorian Dorian Phrygian, with whole-step transitions from string to string, with the left hand in one position.

But wait! There's more! If you play these patterns across two strings, there are four times as many patterns to navigate. I'm working on that now in my practice, and if anyone is interested I'll post the graphics.

R

Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:53 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Hi Rodan, your system is sound in principle but I'm sorry to inform you that CDEF is Ionian, not Lydian. That would need an F# instead of an F. Maybe that's a typo.

Also, what constitutes a Dorian scale is the raised 6th from minor [which belongs to the upper tetrachord]. The lower tetrachord DEFG would normally be thought of as Aeolian since it's interval content is identical to ABCD.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:26 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Tatsu wrote:
Hi Rodan, your system is sound in principle but I'm sorry to inform you that CDEF is Ionian, not Lydian. That would need an F# instead of an F. Maybe that's a typo.

Also, what constitutes a Dorian scale is the raised 6th from minor [which belongs to the upper tetrachord]. The lower tetrachord DEFG would normally be thought of as Aeolian since it's interval content is identical to ABCD.

Right!

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Here's the deal with tetrachords in relation to modal scales;

The Ionian SCALE has a lower tetrachord which we're going to call the Ionian TETRACHORD. The Ionian SCALE's UPPPER tetrachord's interval content is the same as the lower so it's also an Ionian tetrachord.

The Dorian SCALE has an Aeolian lower tetrachord and an Aeolian upper tetrachord.

The Phrygian SCALE's lower tetrachord could be labeled either a Phrygian tetrachord. The Phrygian's upper tetrachord is identical to the lower.

The Lydian SCALE's lower tetrachord is a Lydian tetrachord since it's unique in having a raised 4th. The Lydian scale's upper tetrachord is an Ionian tetrachord.

The Mixolydian scale's lower tetrachord is an Ionian tetrachord and it's upper tetrachord is an Aeolian tetrachord.

The Aeolian scale's lower tetrachord is Aeolian and it's upper tetrachord is a Phrygian tetrachord.

The Locrian scale's lower tetrachord is just like the lower tetrachord of the Phrygian and it's upper tetrachord is a Locrian tetrachord because it has 3 whole steps. The locrian scale is different from all the others presented because it's tetrachords are conjunt at only a half step apart causing the Locrian scale not to have a perfect 5th.

Maybe that clears things up. Maybe it makes it worse.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:32 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I was going to defend my tetrachord definitions by referring to Wikipedia, only to find it completely different from what I remembered!

I'll happily accept your corrections, once I feel I've understood it.

Right now I have to cook dinner.

R

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:43 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Hi Rodan,

same thing happened to me with the rules for when to use 2 or 9, when to use 6 or 13 etc... I was humbly corrected.

I had said that the upper tetrachord of Locrian is the Locrian tetrachord but actually it's the same as the lower tetrachord for Lydian so there's no reason to give it a new name.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:52 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

OK, lemme see here -

Ionian - CDEF
Aolian - ABCD
Phrygian - BCDE
Lydian - FGAB (not really a tetrachord but what the heck)

Am I with the program here?

R

Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:27 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

isnt phrygian EFGA? locrian is BCDE?

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:05 pm