It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:34 pm

Pick Up/Audio Issues 

Post Pick Up/Audio Issues
So today I started noticing some inordinate fuzz in my sound. I tried bypassing the pedalboard, switched cables, switched amps, and the fuzz persisted. Later when I went to tune, I switched to mono mode and there was no audio at all when I went to mono. Does this indicate a dying battery, or is a a more serious pick up issue perhaps? Anybody have informed suggestions they can pass along?

Sun May 29, 2016 5:22 pm

Post Re: Pick Up/Audio Issues
Apparently it was no more than a dying battery. Replaced the battery, mono mode came back and the nasty fuzz was gone. First time I've experienced this with this instrument. Now just need to find some longer life 9v batteries.

Sun May 29, 2016 11:03 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Pick Up/Audio Issues
The battery in an ACTV2 pickup lasts for more than a year IF you systematically REMOVE your cord plug from the block after you play. Otherwise, the battery will be sucked dry in no time. I usually put a sticker on the back of the pickup with the date of the battery replacement.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Mon May 30, 2016 2:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks for the sticker tip Olivier. I do make a point of unplugging after every use. Somebody else posted that you can get up to 3000 hours' use from a new battery, though they didn't specify if that was a standard, alkaline or lithium ion battery. Pretty sure I hadn't used my instrument that much since sending it in for maintenance Sept 2014, and this is the first time I'd had one run down on me. I'm just relieved it was this minor of an issue.

Mon May 30, 2016 12:29 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

It's funny. preamp like circuits are often really miserly on power, some close to self-discharge current anyway.

A couple of years ago, a buddy had the same problem with an ovation guitar he's had for many years and bought it over for me to fix. I just replaced the battery....he didn't even realize it HAD a battery

Tue May 31, 2016 8:34 am