It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
 what do you do for a living beside chapman stick 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: what do you do for a living beside chapman stick
kevin-c wrote:
I've been lucky enough to be able to fly this dreamboat for the last 9 years at a wonderful airline called Westjet here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Before this gig, I used to fly seaplanes in Northern Ontario, then multi engine turbo-props for quite some time......

Attachment:
image.jpeg

so cool.

I am a minor aviation buff - actually I just love watching the Airplane Disaster shows on TV. I experienced my first ever anxiety attack when I was flying like 12 years ago...not sure why. I grew up flying since my folks divorced and I flew back and forth between Texas and New Hampshire from age 10 onwards (eventually settled in Texas) and I never had ANY problems. Then, on a random flight back from New Orleans after a week of partying I just flipped out. My (then) girlfriend literally had to squeeze my hand so i wouldn't jump out of the seat. I just got SCARED.

So....I just decided that I would learn about planes. How they work - why they crash, systems, cascading failures, what they can handle, etc.

So my family thinks I'm nuts and it unnerves them to watch those shows before we go on trips - but somehow it helps me. I KNOW what planes do - what is normal, what isn't (had only one incident in 35+ years of flying - an aborted landing due to another plane on the runway not being far enough off the runway for the pilot's comfort) - anyway. The stats for the safety of air travel speak for themselves..but your mind doesn't process "stats" - emotion overcomes all knowledge in a heartbeat.

And recently I got to fly in my first ever small commuter plane - a twin turbo prop, 6 seater. I was the last one added to the trip and that meant I got to sit in the co-pilot seat. Wow! watching a plane take off while looking out the front window was just so amazing. I basically just sat there for 2.5 hours asking the pilot what the controls were, what buttons did what, why did he say this or that to ATC, etc. It was such a trip - I truly loved it.

He said to me, when we landed - "I wish everyone who sat in that seat next to me gave a shit like you"

And that's a great pic Kev.

Last edited by randy on Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Scott Ernest wrote:
I'm a full-time Metal Artist. http://www.mountainmetalarts.com. I used to be a full-time drummer. I wanted to be a Doctor but didn't have enough patience.

I met a metal guy a few years ago when he was building a sign for a friend's restaurant. We went to his shop to install the lighting in the sign. We were hanging out side under a tree, taking a beer/smoke break because his shop had no AC. Man it was hot.

It was like an hour later, after I looked up at the tree that I realized it was a 20 foot tall sculpture!
Just amazing - he welded/soldered/whatever every single branch and leaf on this thing...

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Yet another IT guy. Software development project management and systems analysis.

#6480 2015 10-string tarara Stick - classic - Stickup
#7030 2018 12-string paduak Grand Stick - classic - PASV-4 - GK-3 MIDI -> Roland VG-99

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I work as a MFG Engineer in a plastic injection molding plant for a major automotive supplier.
I've also been involved in photography to the point that it's a useful tool for what I do at work. I've also been to seminars for color analysis and had training from vision system manufacturers for using cameras in automated manufacturing cells, which I have a lot of experience in toubleshooting.

I've photographed several weddings, did pictures for a former employer's product brochure and other advertisements. Most notable some of my pictures from Stick performances Bob Culbertson used in his book and CD's

Even at fifty years old I still race mountain bikes, pretty much focused on the use of "fat bikes", which in recent years now has its own category in racing. I do it year round, even in snow with sub-zero temperatures, to scorching hot temps of 104F with high humidity. Again, photography comes into that picture as well. I don't do much anymore currently, but I used to bring my camera along and shoot pictures of the other categories. Some of those were used by the promoters, and some the racers would purchase from me. Thanks to what we can all do with home recordings on computer, I've been doing my own home video productions recording music and integrating them into GoPro vids from my mountain bike excursions.

Basically most of my hobbies are more than just hobbies and are connected to each other and have integrated into what I do for a living as well. At work I've on some occasions fixed or made improvements to equipment on the plant floor using spare parts from guitars and bicycles, besides what I also do with a camera.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:41 am
Contributor
Contributor

And ..... another IT man : software developer / former in a company that produces wastes management softwares.

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:57 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

:D too many computer guys

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:39 am

Architect and LEED professional. Commercial, not residential.

Worked on everything from museums, higher ed, and K-12 schools to office buildings, churches, and public safety training centers over the years.

I have had my trusty Brazilian ironwood Stick since I bought it from Andy Widders-Ellis in 1984. Still can't play worth a damn but I have fun with it nonetheless.

Ancient 10-String Brazilian Ironwood #881

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:20 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Hello
And another IT Guy :D
CIO and Consultant for Server infrastructure
Greetings
Gerald

Railboard MR #6549
Grand Stick Classic #1697

Last edited by Gerald on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:02 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Another computer dweeb.

Focusing on medical device and healthcare IT products. My latest project is a system for the early detection of Sepsis.

http://www.pocadvisor.com

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:56 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

kevin-c wrote:
I've been lucky enough to be able to fly this dreamboat for the last 9 years at a wonderful airline called Westjet here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Before this gig, I used to fly seaplanes in Northern Ontario, then multi engine turbo-props for quite some time......

You're lucky you got on with a good company like Westjet, but I think you know that ;) I flew with Mesa for 10 years, finally got fed up and quit the airline biz all together. Nowadays my daily driver is somewhat smaller:

Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:47 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next