It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 am

Grid - why? 

Post Grid - why?
Why does my (dusty) graphite Grand say "The Grid" on the head - is that normal?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Grid - why?
I could be wrong. But only thing I can think of is it is just a cool or alternative label for that time period of issue identifying the string lines and the frets going across. The neck as I look at is simply a grid. If it means something different I would like to know.

Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

https://stick.com/instruments/midi/

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:02 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

mccookies wrote:
Why does my (dusty) graphite Grand say "The Grid" on the head - is that normal?

My 10 string Graphite, with a number nearly 1000 higher than yours & issued in 2009 certainly has "Stick" rather than "Grid" on the head.

Is/was yours originally fitted out for MIDI on one or both sides?

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup UnXd Para 4ths
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 UnXd Para 4ths
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 UnXd Para 4ths

Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:04 am

Thanks everyone.

I'm not the first owner but it currently only has MIDI on the treble side.

Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:11 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Check out this thread. Scroll down to working "Grid" stick. It says that on Grid sticks all of the strings were the same gauge and a MIDI interface controlled the tuning. Sounds like a cool concept. I'm not sure why it didn't continue as an option on future sticks. My guess is the MIDI interface could have been an issue. If that fouled up, then the whole stick would be useless.

viewtopic.php?t=16640

Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:12 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I ordered a 12-string Grand in '08 with a MIDI pu for the Melody side. It has the Grid emblem. I took the MIDI pu off and sold it because I never use it. The Grid emblem remains. Note: it doesn't effect the Stick.

Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Markussz wrote:
Check out this thread. Scroll down to working "Grid" stick. It says that on Grid sticks all of the strings were the same gauge and a MIDI interface controlled the tuning. Sounds like a cool concept. I'm not sure why it didn't continue as an option on future sticks. My guess is the MIDI interface could have been an issue. If that fouled up, then the whole stick would be useless.

https://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?t=16640

This is correct. The original GRID (1985-90ish?) was a Stick with all strings the same gauge and outfitted for MIDI on both sides.

Sometime later (2000 and onward), any Stick coming out of SE that was equipped with any configuration of MIDI pickup was labeled as the GRID, regardless of string gauges and other pickups attached.

And I assume this was so that the trademarked GRID name wouldn't die off.

I think this is correct. But someone else more knowledgable on this, please step in. Thanks.

https://brianbaggett-chapmanstick.bandcamp.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/BrianBaggett306

Lap Bar info: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/chapma ... -lap-bars/

Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:41 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I played midified stringed instruments in bands since the concept was first hatched and later turned into a more feasible enterprise with the Roland gear. There's a lot to understand about all that including the midi spec itself where all aspects of the envelope are arbitrarily divided into 127 increments plus pitch bend, patch change, sys-ex, etc, the serial nature of the data flow where all these parameters are waiting in line to travel down a wire, what can slow the process down, what can be done to speed it up, etc. But as for the grid idea of small plain strings all the same gauge was this: On a normal set of strings - especially ones that have a range which penetrates into the bass clef, the cycles-per-second is high (low midi latency) on high pitches and is low (high midi latency) on the lower pitches. The way a pitch-to-midi converter works is, it needs 3 or 4 cycles to identify the pitch and after that it translates it to midi very quickly. So pitch detection is the data bottleneck. Latency gets pretty noticeable and hard to deal with down around C2. In practice you have to anticipate the lag by playing ahead of the beat on the bass strings and more and more normally as you higher up the register. This can be learned and I eventually learned it pretty well when I was playing midi pedal steel which had a range from a dog whistle down to the open A string on a bass guitar. But the lowest note on a Stick is C1 (32.7 Hz) and that's a lot of midi latency. With the grid idea you trade those compromises for the fact that you can't flip a switch and go back to playing an organic instrument. But you have a single almost imperceptible latency across the whole board. All the strings are the same gauge, are tuned up to the same note, then reassigned at the midi converter through the transpose feature to any tuning you want. To do this, the strings have to be on separate midi channels and you need a converter that can do that. And to get the lowest possible latency, you need each string on a separate section of a multi-timbral synth module so for 12 strings that would be two 6 channel multi-timbral synth modules like the JV-880 which is what I use for my 12 string pedal steel along with an IVL 12 channel converter and two SE-70 EFX units. It's a friggin rack of worms either way. I haven't done it on Stick yet but if I did, I'd either just do the melody side, live with the lag and have all my B3 and piano samples, or do like Steve Adelson and put both sides thru a guitar modeler.

Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:42 pm