It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:06 am

Bamboo 

Post Bamboo
How much does a bamboo grand weigh? And how close is bamboo to the graphite line in rigidity?

Josh

Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:20 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Bamboo
wise2178 wrote:
How much does a bamboo grand weigh? And how close is bamboo to the graphite line in rigidity?

Josh

Hi Josh, mine weighs less than 7 lbs, but it has a Stickup, which is a little lighter than the two Blocks. It's lighter than rosewood and paduak, and maybe just slightly heavier than mahogany.

It seems to be as rigid as graphite, but haven't owned a graphite instrument, so it's hard for me to say exactly.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I have been wondering recently, since reading comments on graphite stick's feel, how much difference is there in smoothness between graphite, bamboo and the hardwoods? I'm pretty particular when it comes to guitar necks: unfinished maple. So I'm thinking: Should I save the extra and cough up for a graphite model?

Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:31 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Thor

what is it about unfinished maple guitar necks that you like? if it's the feel of the wood then Graphite is probably not the way to go. I used to play a modulus bass but had to sell it due the coldness of the graphite, i couldn't get used to it. I came from upright bass so a woody feel is important to me. One of the great things about going to a seminar is that you can feel the weight and texture of sticks made from other materials as well as pickups. If there are any stickists in your area try to hook up and see if there is a wood or other material that appeals to you.

Brett

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Emphasis on the unfinished part. It facilitates quick movement up and down the neck whereas on finished necks, including sticks, you usually have to sweat the shit out of them to build up the same feel. Unless you absolutely have to feel a piece of wood in your hand you'll be happier with graphite. Although at that price you may have to sell your firstborn to afford it. Good luck to you.

tritone

Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:11 pm

As always, thanks for all opinions!

Brett Bottomley wrote:
Hey Thor

what is it about unfinished maple guitar necks that you like? if it's the feel of the wood then Graphite is probably not the way to go...
Brett

I love the way I just feel I grip it better than finished necks, my Ibanez is so trust worthy live, whereas my BC Rich with a Les Paul style finished varnished neck I sweat uncontrollably on it and consequently things end up a bit like a racing car driving on an oil slick!

I'm going to get in contact with a guy called Ollie Collins who lives near me (He has 2 albums out at http://www.olliecollins.com/) who I kindof know already, and hopefully get a handful of lessons with him.

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:34 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thor wrote:
I have been wondering recently, since reading comments on graphite stick's feel, how much difference is there in smoothness between graphite, bamboo and the hardwoods? I'm pretty particular when it comes to guitar necks: unfinished maple. So I'm thinking: Should I save the extra and cough up for a graphite model?

Hi Thor,

They are all very smooth, not like a lacquered neck. The exception to this is the BassLab proto which has an automotive lacquer finish.

Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Hey Thor,

I've only had my new Graphite Grand 10 for a few days now, but I'm really liking it a lot. Yes, it feels very smooth, but has a dry feel, somewhere between a natural oiled finish and a satin finish on a wooden neck bass. It doesn't feel quite like wood, but it doesn't feel cold and sterile to me either, but I guess that is personal opinion and YMMV. I haven't sweated on it a lot yet, but have heard that it just gets smoother, not slippery and difficult like some wooden necks.

I'm only able to personally compare graphite/PASV-4 to rosewood/ACTV-2, but the new Stick certainly has more resonance, more consistent tone (from ultra-low to high!) and much more variety of tones. I think the PASV-4 pickup is really able to get the best out of the graphite, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true of bamboo, as it's nearly as stiff. The graphite is definitely heavier than the heavier woods, but not ridiculously so - I could hardly tell the difference when hanging on a good webbing belt.

So you prefer unfinished maple necks on instruments? Bamboo might feel closer to that than graphite, but I'd recommend basing your choice more on the weight and look of the instrument. There's nothing like the look of light-coloured inlays on black graphite, but hey, a dark coloured finish on bamboo would look pretty cool too! :)

Cheers,

EG

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:24 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

evilgus wrote:
Hey Thor,

I've only had my new Graphite Grand 10 for a few days now, but I'm really liking it a lot. Yes, it feels very smooth, but has a dry feel, somewhere between a natural oiled finish and a satin finish on a wooden neck bass. It doesn't feel quite like wood, but it doesn't feel cold and sterile to me either, but I guess that is personal opinion and YMMV. I haven't sweated on it a lot yet, but have heard that it just gets smoother, not slippery and difficult like some wooden necks.

I'm only able to personally compare graphite/PASV-4 to rosewood/ACTV-2, but the new Stick certainly has more resonance, more consistent tone (from ultra-low to high!) and much more variety of tones. I think the PASV-4 pickup is really able to get the best out of the graphite, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true of bamboo, as it's nearly as stiff. The graphite is definitely heavier than the heavier woods, but not ridiculously so - I could hardly tell the difference when hanging on a good webbing belt.

So you prefer unfinished maple necks on instruments? Bamboo might feel closer to that than graphite, but I'd recommend basing your choice more on the weight and look of the instrument. There's nothing like the look of light-coloured inlays on black graphite, but hey, a dark coloured finish on bamboo would look pretty cool too! :)

Cheers,

EG

Personally I love graphite necks on my basses ... untra stable! (I play Modulus basses) They do have a different feel and sound than wood however that's on a bass guitar not a Stick. And i like a black neck ... goes perfectly with any color body. The NS Stick I ordered has a graphite neck so that really works for me. If I could change ANYTHING on the NS I ordered I think it would be cool with linear markers rather then guitar dots ... but that's not currently an option. Justin your new Stick looks beautiful!

Back to the subject ... Thor ... In regard to woods ... have you talked with SE about your preference for unfinished maple? Maybe they could do something special for you? From what I understand they are more than happy to do "custom" work and if they can make a maple neck seems to me leaving it "unfinished" would be easy. Call them ... doesn't hurt asking!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

No I haven't, but asking you guys' opinions is always my first port of call, being that making a post on here is free, whereas a US call from over here certainly isn't! :D But I've not quite scraped together the cash yet, so its of no consequence (not far off though.. :P )

Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:46 pm