It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:42 pm

Two finger approach in the bass 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Two finger approach in the bass
Okay, I know Greg does it, but I am curious about this and want to hear what other people who use the method think about it. Anyone out there?

Greg posted this awesome bass side only video utilizing the technique, and while I was quite impressed by the video and the music, I really didn't put much stock into the "two-finger" idea he presented. Truthfully, like most of the stuff you guys do, I was just not ready for it yet is all.
And now I see a reason for it... So here I humbly post...

Obviously, there are times when you need other fingers, like chords, and arpeggios that ring out on the bass side, but I have been having experiences where I "catch myself" using only two fingers in the left hand on the bass side. (And no it's not because my fingers are weak or lazy...)

I do this "thing" lately where I pretend to be a jazz band; it started out when I reluctantly joined this free jazz group (Only rules are that we can't do anything preplanned) and I just make shit up as we go... It has been so effective as a learning tool that I have used the idea as a sort of warm-up. Every day I try to create a walking bass line, while playing random stuff in the other hand over it. Eyes closed, making a mess. Each day, I try to "insert" a restriction. Something simple, like one triad inversion, or a pentatonic scale, whatever...

It sounds horrendous usually, but it has had a tremendous impact on my playing and every now and then there are "moments" where it actually sounds pretty good. And I have to say, it has come a long, long ways since I first started doing it. The more days that go by, the more restrictions I can put on it, and get to know my instrument a lot better while having a lot of fun.

As I do this and my hands move all over the place with each other, I find that on the bass side, 2 fingers seem to dominate until I try to do a scaly fill, or a chord arpeggio or something. At first I resisted and tried to impose my will, but it seems kind of natural, so I think I will warp it to my own ends, the same way I sometimes use 3 fingers/4 fingers on the melody side... And it's coming up in the music I am studying...

So yeah, gimme your take on the 2 digit approach...

Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:56 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Two finger approach in the bass
Jayesskerr wrote:
I do this "thing" lately where I pretend to be a jazz band; it started out when I reluctantly joined this free jazz group (Only rules are that we can't do anything preplanned) and I just make shit up as we go... It has been so effective as a learning tool that I have used the idea as a sort of warm-up. Every day I try to create a walking bass line, while playing random stuff in the other hand over it. Eyes closed, making a mess. Each day, I try to "insert" a restriction. Something simple, like one triad inversion, or a pentatonic scale, whatever...

It sounds horrendous usually, but it has had a tremendous impact on my playing and every now and then there are "moments" where it actually sounds pretty good.

This statement reminds me of Kenny Werner's approach in "Effortless Mastery" the book that changed my outlook on everything I do musically!

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The left hand has to travel alot in the lower positions so the upright bass technique translates well to the Stick. (About the only thing that other string instrument technique DID translate for me.) I can really "get behind" a note with emphasis using this. Remember, Emmett "threw out" all previous methods of playing when he discovered "Free Hands". LIBERATION!

Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I saw that video. It was definitely interesting.

Personally....I'm in the "use all 4 fingers on both hands for everything" camp. I learned to play with 1 finger per fret on guitar 25 years back, so it makes sense to me.

I say...do whatever makes sense and sounds good to you. To me...Greg's style is a bit confusing, though it sounds awesome. I'm more like Steve A and Bob G ....using 4 fingers. My hand strength has improved nicely to get the tone I like.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:27 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I've not seen the 2 finger bass video, but if it's Greg I am sure it's pretty awesome.

When I started on Stick I followed more of Greg's teachings, videos, book etc, he seemed to be the most readily accessible 'Great' to learn from. I worked my RH using just 3 fingers. It made sense, I didn't like the stretching that is required but my hand got used to it, and I tried hard to work on the wrist and hand movement to support that technique.
I have since had the great fortune to spend a day in a seminar and then all day the next day with Steve A. in a workshop watching him work, picking his brains and simply watching. I have since moved more towards the 'you have 4 fingers (and a thumb), why use just three fingers?' perspective. I have spent the last week smashing my practice trying to strengthen the little finger, incorporating the hand/wrist movement theory to support that. It still feels weird but I prefer it and the sore finger joints from stretching are less so. A wonderful thing about this instrument is that because there is not hundreds of years of established methodology, legendary teachers over centuries, thousands of method books, and thousands of legends to follow every single one of us is a part of pioneering movement and if ever the 'If it works, use it' mindset works on an instrument then it is this one.

I digress, my personal view is that a 2 finger bass goes even further away from the 'you have 4 fingers, why not use them?' idea so it's not something I would pursue, personally.

P

Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:54 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Cool replies, thanks for posting guys!

Yeah, I just want to be clear; I am not saying "only" 3 fingers or "only" two, nor am I saying that an "only" 4 fingers for 4 frets approach is the way to go; I am especially not pitting one man's approach against another's. Greg and Steve are really awesome at what they do, end of story. Greg's video was impressive, and very musical. (I will track it down) Really well played and only on the bass side. I attempted the same thing only with a Bach Cello Prelude, and umm... well you can hear it down below. Part of my research hahaha

Yeah, so it's two fingers on the bass side I am curious about... Obviously, some stuff is gonna require more fingers (chords, certain fast Yngwie-esque scalar runs)

I just find that lately I am doing a lot of position shifting, and just because I can use 4 fingers, it doesn't mean it's always the best choice. But, that's just my reality. The music I am pursuing lately has a lot of shifts and scalar work, getting those notes with the pinky isn't always conducive to the sound I want. At the end of it, I guess it's all about whatever works... I suppose we will all have our own realities based on what we want to pursue or what our previous musical experiences have taught us...

But, in the spirit of keeping an open mind, I did check to make sure that I am not just being lazy and wimping out. 3 quick noodlings for your entertainment...

Oh, and the Bach thing; I did it ONLY with the left hand on the Stick, and only using a 4 frets for 4 fingers type approach... Yes, it sounds like dogshit, I know. lol But I practiced my ass off on this Prelude, and was hoping that I could leverage my left hand's existing dexterity. Nope.

Awright, cool discussion so far guys. Looking forward to anyone else who might chime in?

Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:35 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Dammit, I couldn't find Greg's video on the subject of two finger bass.

I did find his version of Bach Cello Suite, didn't know he did that one. His version totally kills mine, haha

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:45 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:

I did find his version of Bach Cello Suite, didn't know he did that one. His version totally kills mine, haha

this one around 5:00?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVNNUHKZWLw

starts with melody but works it over to the bass side...

Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

randy wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:

this one around 5:00?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVNNUHKZWLw

starts with melody but works it over to the bass side...

Nope, it was a classical bit, some Bach I believe and played entirely on the bass side. Greg was excited to share it, most of us "didn't get it" though hahaha I still don't really get it...

Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Scott,

You may be mixing up two things... In Chapter 3 of the Stick Book, there is an exercise for a rock technique for 8th notes basslines that alternates between fingers 1 and 2.

The Classical bit you are referring to is a 3 fingered technique for diatonic runs that cover more than one string, as in the Bach Cello Suite Prelude in G, which you referenced.

My video of it can be seen here:

particularly from 1:08 to the end, there are lots of them.

Here's the scheme. Whenever you have a diatonic scale run that transitions across strings (in other words, more than 4 notes), you play it 1-2-1-3 ascending and 3-1-2-1 descending on each string.

It's super fast, very clearly articulate and most important, especially compared to what you will get if you finger it 1-2-3-4, very balanced in terms of volume from note to note and string to string.

As to the comments about 3 fingered melody and stretching, that is a total non-issue if you move your and while you play the melody..

Cheers!

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery