It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

SG12 or an Alto, Recommendations? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: SG12 or an Alto, Recommendations?
Claire wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
I thought it would be nice to have a slightly more portable version of the grand to take with me when carting around the Grand isn't practical, so that I could continue my practice/play. Y'know, convenience?

The SG12 feels like a different instrument to me. It definitely does not feel like a "practice" version of the Grand.

Well, thanks for the input, guys. Sounds like getting into an SG or an Alto would be a complete waste of time then. Most likely the same for an NS/Stick also. Good thing I posted this, 'cause I was ready to impulse buy and just call 'em up and get one as a reward to myself for conquering a difficult piece of music...

I recognize that it's a different instrument, it's just that sometimes when I'm out and about, it would be nice to have access to a smaller, similar instrument so that I could continue to practice. (I have a 6 string Guitarelele that I bring with me for guitar practice...) And where I go, it's really tough to bring my Grand. In a band situation, having an NS could be handy, but fuck it - I have a bass and two sticks already.

Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:58 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Shoot, I always looked at it like "Hey, I'm getting a bass clarinet and a sax, after playing this 'regular' clarinet for so long." The alto Stick is a Stick in the alto range, right? Why is that a waste of anything? Just curious.

I'm still waiting to master that songflute, which was the first instrument of maybe 20 I started on. And for the record, there is literally no one in existence who has taken ANY instrument "to the limits," because there are no such things as limits, only minds that have not yet opened (Sink's Law #24).

Except crumhorn. That was taken to the limits of bearability sometime back in 1674, maybe the late summer, early Fall. Fezzywig the 3rd, jester to the High King, took it to the limits and so we all stopped playing it after that. Except I had to sit next to them in the K-state Renaissance Orchestra, playing my shitty songflute well below the limits but enjoying my ensemble credit.

If only those crumhorn people would have known about Fezzywig--they could have just stopped it altogether.

Get what you want! :mrgreen:

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Claire wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
I thought it would be nice to have a slightly more portable version of the grand to take with me when carting around the Grand isn't practical, so that I could continue my practice/play. Y'know, convenience?

The SG12 feels like a different instrument to me. It definitely does not feel like a "practice" version of the Grand.

Well, thanks for the input, guys. Sounds like getting into an SG or an Alto would be a complete waste of time then. Most likely the same for an NS/Stick also. Good thing I posted this, 'cause I was ready to impulse buy and just call 'em up and get one as a reward to myself for conquering a difficult piece of music...

I recognize that it's a different instrument, it's just that sometimes when I'm out and about, it would be nice to have access to a smaller, similar instrument so that I could continue to practice. (I have a 6 string Guitarelele that I bring with me for guitar practice...) And where I go, it's really tough to bring my Grand. In a band situation, having an NS could be handy, but fuck it - I have a bass and two sticks already.

I’m honestly not sure how to read the tone in your post. If you ask for opinions, you might get some that are different from your own. I was trying to be helpful and offer up some info. The thread I linked to has info re pros/cons. If you'd looked at the thread, you'd see I actually noted that some of the stuff I practiced on the SG12 did translate back to the full-scale Stick. Nowhere did I say the SG12 was a "waste", I love having mine.

Maybe you would dig it for practicing your Grand stuff, I generally don’t. You’ve gotten one opinion on that aspect of the SG12, maybe wait and see what others think?

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:15 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Nothing to read into it, I asked for some recommendations, and I got them, then I made a decision. It's as easy as that. No big deal.

I didn't mean to insinuate that the SG12 is a lowly "practice" instrument, I honestly wish I never posted this topic...

Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:11 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

This is a topic that is very important to me and many. Not a waste of time or anything else!

I only have an SG12 after owning a 10-string then a 12-string grand. I was a guitar player, not a bass player, and the fret spacing feels much better to me. I love playing the Stick but I'm not a pro musician or a serious talent. With my limited time for playing I want to focus on one instrument. Here's a few thoughts that haven't been mentioned here.

The SG12 can be tuned much higher than a grand and can play many classical pieces in their written registers or close to it. I like this for piano and guitar music.

It has a different sound in the upper registers. But the main difference is in the sweet spots. Every string instrument has a range where the notes sound and feel the best. The SG12's sweet spots are right in the range I like.

The size of the SG is great for traveling, it fits nicely in an overhead bin. That's just a bonus, not a reason to get one though.

I believe an SG12 tuned in mirrored 4ths is the closest thing we have to a classical Stick. In the guitar world there are many different types of instruments and many common tunings. That's a good thing to me and highlights the maturity and acceptance of guitars. The Stick is maturing and the different scale lengths and tunings we chat about is a good sign that it is settling in for a long run.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

For you Steve, an SG12 might be a great exploration. And look at Per Boysen. Burns it up on both SG12 and 12-string Grand (and anything else he gets his hands on).

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I agree, Steve would do some very interesting things with the instrument I am sure!

I work in some pretty remote places sometimes, and for weeks at a time. Taking a full sized Stick isn't practical, or possible for me. I would still like to work on tapping and independence, it seemed that although it's a little bit different, an SG12 or an Alto is conceptually along the same lines.

So yeah, travel IS a big consideration for me when considering a purchase. Gotta do music when on the road, too...

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:19 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Scott. I meant Scott. Not Steve. Steve is not thinking of buying a SG12 or NS/Stick. Scott. (Coffee...)

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
Scott. I meant Scott. Not Steve. Steve is not thinking of buying a SG12 or NS/Stick. Scott. (Coffee...)
Actually Steve has already ordered an NS/Stick 39 days ago and it's "about done." :lol: But no, I'm not thinking of buying an SG12.

Yet.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Well, here is a blurb from an Alto player.
I may be a bit biased though.
And I am thinking of aquiring a SG12 as well.
I tried a railboard and it just didnt fit for what i to do. Personal preference is all.
I love my Rosewood Alto. I have it in standard Alto tuning. Mainly cause if i tune it to a higher tuning the first string snaps.
The tuning as far as i can tell is an octave or so above lets say classic. I may be wrong though.
More in the guitar range.
I really like that as i am a guitar player as well.
I have small hands so the fret spacing is perfect for me. It gives me the ability to play pretty fast with minimal hand movement.
At first i thought the bass may be a bit lacking as it is not as robust and deep as a full size stick.
But the bass is perfectly suited to the Alto. I havent been unhappy at all with that aspect.
Balanced really nicely and i was pleasantly suprised t that.
Granted it is not for everyone and i dont think there are alot of Alto players out there.
I guess that makes me special lol.
You cant bend as much as you can on a full size stick because of the tension on the shorter strings but i dont do to much of that anyway.
Not hard at all to follow any instructional material from Greg, Bob or Steve. Just gotta move up 2 frets on the harmony side.
But hey, if your buying another stick the SG12 or an Alto is a nice challenge and isnt that why we do this? For the challenge?
Or maybe we like punishment?
I dont think you can go wrong with either one.
Soon enough you will make it your stick and your sound so its all good right?
And unlock even more coolness from the stick.

Cheers

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery