It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:37 am

Linear markers as learning tool 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Linear markers as learning tool
And just for clarification; that's just how I practice, definitely NOT pushing anything on anybody. Again, I am nobody, just some doofus from nowhere, so I probably should keep my trap shut..

Anyways... Most piano and keyboard harmony revolves around 5ths, hence "Cycle of 5ths". Most people don't know what to do with the cycle, regardless of what interval is used...

Edit: Aggh I sound like a dick there, too... umm, what I mean to say is that most folks will acknowledge the cycle of 5ths/4ths because it's some "accepted theory thing everyone should know" The cycle reveals a lot of interesting and useful patterns that aren't really obvious at first glance. Really a powerful tool in my humble opinion...

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:22 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:
And just for clarification; that's just how I practice, definitely NOT pushing anything on anybody. Again, I am nobody, just some doofus from nowhere, so I probably should keep my trap shut..

Anyways... Most piano and keyboard harmony revolves around 5ths, hence "Cycle of 5ths". Most people don't know what to do with the cycle, regardless of what interval is used...

Edit: Aggh I sound like a dick there, too... umm, what I mean to say is that most folks will acknowledge the cycle of 5ths/4ths because it's some "accepted theory thing everyone should know" The cycle reveals a lot of interesting and useful patterns that aren't really obvious at first glance. Really a powerful tool in my humble opinion...

We don't sound like dicks, here, Scott, just a way of goin' about things. Cycle of fifths, fourths, two/fives, it gets the juices flowin' and DEFINITELY gets you movin' around (and uncomfortable). If you so choose. Me, I just sort of sloff around and get my jollys off playin' a coolo instrument that everything I put into I get back in spades...

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Funny the comments about cycle of 4th/5ths. I'm just starting to get into that routine with my own practice. I usually get to about E maj, then I run out of time. I'm looking forward to the day that I actually get through the cycle of fifths! :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The linear inlay make everything more visually uniform and consistent, which makes it much easier to see patterns on the board...

Interval geometry is one of the most fun parts of the Stick learning experience...

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery