It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:12 pm

Could use a little help tuning a Graphite Stick 

Post Could use a little help tuning a Graphite Stick
Hi Everyone,
I'm having a couple of problems tuning my Graphite Stick (Matched Reciprocal tuning) and could use some help. I've tried several tuners and am having the best luck with a Boss TU-12H, however I'm not able to tune the 6th string, low "C", reliably. I'm tuning at the 12th fret and have tried both contact and inline tuners and can't get the tuner to lock in. Any recommendations?

My second question has to do with the position the Stick is in when I tune it. If I tune my Stick horizontally in my lap, it goes slightly flat when I raise it up in playing position. It's not a problem as long as I tune it in the playing position, but I'm curious if that is to be expected?

Thanks for your help.

Nick

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Could use a little help tuning a Graphite Stick
Hi Nick,

I find that electronic tuners don't seem to handle tapped notes as well as harmonics or the rich fundamental notes you get from open bass strings. Many tuners are also not designed for the bass register and will stop giving accurate results once you get below guitar range. Be prepared to shop around a bit longer for a tuner that works for you.

Secondly, I recommend tuning the bass side on the part of the instrument where you play it most. I tune my bass strings on the 5th fret and often check on the low D and E on the C string. As with most bass guitars, you tend to lose a little bit of definition and get some "clackiness" in the sound as you move up to the higher frets (I find this to be true even on a perfectly set up Stick). As a result, it's easy to press and hold the string too hard in the upper frets, which can make notes go sharp.

As for your other question, by putting an instrument flat on your lap you do actually affect the string tension ever so slightly. If possible, tune the instrument in your intended playing position.

Finally, always let your ears be the final judge when the tuner is off and the volume is up. As a solo player I find that the Stick has a lovely hint of natural "chorus" even after tuning.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:41 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Nick, I will pass on two tuning tips from the masters, Bob C. and Greg.

Bob recommended tapping RIGHT behind and almost on top of the fret for a "muted"tap sound. this way if you won't "Yngwie" it ( bend into the fretboard to make it sharp-Yngwie Malmsteen and Ritchie Blackmore played scalloped necks where the spaces between the frets were routed out) Plus aside from fretboard misbend, there is little overtone harmonics so the tuning sound is pure for the meter to read it.
Greg recommended tuning at different parts of the touchboard, as above, where you normally play.
I normally tune at the 7th fret on the bass side, and 13th fret on the melody side.
I recently purchased and added to my pedal board- the Planet Waves stage tuner with TRUE bypass. It has stobe & sweep, plus mute bypass and a large magnified lit LED.
take care, hope this helps and as Jimi Hendrix said, "only the cowboys stay in tune"!
dave brosky

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

adde65 wrote:
Secondly, I recommend tuning the bass side on the part of the instrument where you play it most. I tune my bass strings on the 5th fret and often check on the low D and E on the C string. As with most bass guitars, you tend to lose a little bit of definition and get some "clackiness" in the sound as you move up to the higher frets (I find this to be true even on a perfectly set up Stick).

Hi Andy,
That's good advice. I've got to learn to think outside the box when it comes to the Stick. Most of my music experience is with accoustic guitars and I'm quickly learning that the Stick is a very different animal. I'm glad you mentioned the "clackiness" in the higher frets of the bass side. I had noticed it and wondered if it was due to improper tapping, or just the nature of the beast. No doubt I have a long way to go with my tapping technique, but I'm glad to know that it's not all my fault. ;) Thank you very much for your help.
Regards,
Nick

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:36 am

dbrosky wrote:
I will pass on two tuning tips from the masters, Bob C. and Greg.

Bob recommended tapping RIGHT behind and almost on top of the fret for a "muted"tap sound. this way if you won't "Yngwie" it ( bend into the fretboard to make it sharp-Yngwie Malmsteen and Ritchie Blackmore played scalloped necks where the spaces between the frets were routed out) Plus aside from fretboard misbend, there is little overtone harmonics so the tuning sound is pure for the meter to read it.
Greg recommended tuning at different parts of the touchboard, as above, where you normally play.

Dave,
I appreciate these tips. I'm starting with nothing more than a Stick, and the desire to play. Already, my knowledge of tuning a Stick has tripled. :lol:
Regards,
Nick

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:51 am

Nick,

I have used the Digitech Hardwire pedal tuner to great effect. Quite by coincidence, I found, as is recommend herein, that the turner responds better on the bass side around the 5th fret (where I too play a lot), and on the melody side around the 10-13th frets.

http://www.music123.com/DigiTech-HardWi ... 2.Music123

-Matt

Matthew Kelly

http://soundcloud.com/matthewkelly

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:43 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

dbrosky wrote:
Nick, I will pass on two tuning tips from the masters, Bob C. and Greg.

I normally tune at the 7th fret on the bass side, and 13th fret on the melody side.
I recently purchased and added to my pedal board- the Planet Waves stage tuner with TRUE bypass. It has stobe & sweep, plus mute bypass and a large magnified lit LED.
take care, hope this helps and as Jimi Hendrix said, "only the cowboys stay in tune"!
dave brosky

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the mention. I'll add a few more thoughts. Most important is to play like you would "normally' play when tuning. Use the right hand to turn the machines on the bass side and the left to turn the melody machines.

if you haven't adjusted your truss, check that first, because changing that will change the tuning.

Try not to push or pull the string. Just play the note like you normally would: playing close to the fret (feel the fret, but not on top of the fret at all) gives you the most consistent tone and best intonation.

I like to tune at about the 5th fret for the bass, and 12th or 13th fret for the melody. Paying attention to which notes you are tuning (and not just looking at the meter on your tuner is a good idea), especially if you want to avoid tuning the whole instrument a half-step sharp or flat....I've done this...not a disaster for solo playing, but if you are playing with other musicians or a MIDI setup, it can have "consequences."

and not to put too fine a point on it, low action is really important in having an instrument that plays in tune, so the truss adjustment is important. Emmett designs his instrument with a truss that is very easy to adjust for optimum intonation, feel and action. Don't be afraid to adjust your truss, that's why it's there.

Hope that's helpful.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Quote:
Nick,

I have used the Digitech Hardwire pedal tuner to great effect. Quite by coincidence, I found, as is recommend herein, that the turner responds better on the bass side around the 5th fret (where I too play a lot), and on the melody side around the 10-13th frets.

http://www.music123.com/DigiTech-HardWi ... 2.Music123

-Matt

Matt,
Thanks for the recommendation. One of these days I'll muster the courage to take my Stick into one of the local guitar shops and try a DigiTech pedal tuner out.

Once I started tuning the bass side around the 5th fret and learned to always tune the instrument in the same position that I play it in, everything seemed to come together.

Thanks everyone!

Nick

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:20 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Nick wrote:
...not able to tune the 6th string, low "C", reliably. I'm tuning at the 12th fret and have tried both contact and inline tuners and can't get the tuner to lock in. Any recommendations?...

Hi,

after many tuners I tried, the Peterson Virtual Strobe Tuner V-Sam connected to the Tuner-Out of my Rane SP13 works the best. At first this tuner is a bit confusing but after a while it's the best I ever had.

At first you should check the setup of the Stick (Neck Straight, Pu's at perfect hight, new Strings, proper winding at the tuners, Bridge, etc.)

I tune the Bass-Strings at the 4th Fret and the melody Strings ath the 12th Fret. I always tune from low to high. Tap the string very soft.

Tuning at the positions where I play the most helps a lot.

All the best

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler" AlbertEinstein

10 String Rosewood (Stickup)
12 String Rosewood (PASV-4)
Classic Tuning (Medium Gauge)
2 Avalon U5
2 DBX 160A
Lexicon MPX1

Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Nick- just to beat a dead horse....hey, at least a dead horse that''s IN TUNE!
two more thoughts-

1) always make sure you have at least 3 windings on your tuning machines per string. I read that tip from Larry Carlton a long time ago, and it does help stability.
2) always tune UP to the note- the thinking is that if there is undue tension between the nut and the capstan of the tuning machine, (ie. the string sticking literally, no pun intended) and you tune DOWN to the pitch, one good bend will release that tension, cause the string to slip, and go flat.

Again, can' say enough about the Planet Waves Stage tuner- true bypass, and really big display, + scan and strobe tuning your choice. (I don't have an endorsement, just found something that works and passing it on)
hope it helps,
dave brosky -Pittsburgh

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery