It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Any piano players have any advice for the Stick? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Any piano players have any advice for the Stick?
Welcome!

I like the Classic tuning (with a high bass 4th) on the Grand Stick the most, though I also have a Railboard and enjoy the sound and feel of that instrument very much.

The Classic tuning gives you the highest melody range of the long-scale tunings, and you can go way below middle C with your right hand as well. Your left hand can go almost as high due to the bass 5ths.

Unless you are dead set on learning "piano music" verbatim, then there's every reason to try the Classic tuning. once you learn how to move along the string and skip you fingers over each other (very much like the way the thumb crosses under in playing scale on piano), then you can literally fly around the 5ths tuning with ease.

I like the high bass 4th for the chord voicings it facilitates.

By far the two best things about the 5ths tuning are the simple and compact chord shapes you get in the left hand and the great range one hand can cover at. For an in-depth look at these attributes see this video:

one result of this great range in the 5ths is that there is a lot of overlap between the string sets, which means you can play true unison, and some great cluster chords and patterns.

I hope that helps.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I’ve thought of getting some beginner/intermediate piano books and working with them to get hand independence and sight reading.

I am frustrated by my ability and repertoire on six other instruments that I’m trying to move right over to the stick.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:47 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

atracksler wrote:
I’ve thought of getting some beginner/intermediate piano books and working with them to get hand independence and sight reading.

Most folks here feel that's not the way to do it at all - developing and using reading skills is a definite "no-no".

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:54 am
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Greg. I'm not set on learning "piano music", merely trying to approach the Stick with a more pianist mindset. Doesn't sound like I'm that far away from Classic tuning with Raised Matched Reciprocal, so seems I'll be in the right ballpark.

greg wrote:
Welcome!

I like the Classic tuning (with a high bass 4th) on the Grand Stick the most, though I also have a Railboard and enjoy the sound and feel of that instrument very much.

The Classic tuning gives you the highest melody range of the long-scale tunings, and you can go way below middle C with your right hand as well. Your left hand can go almost as high due to the bass 5ths.

Unless you are dead set on learning "piano music" verbatim, then there's every reason to try the Classic tuning. once you learn how to move along the string and skip you fingers over each other (very much like the way the thumb crosses under in playing scale on piano), then you can literally fly around the 5ths tuning with ease.

I like the high bass 4th for the chord voicings it facilitates.

By far the two best things about the 5ths tuning are the simple and compact chord shapes you get in the left hand and the great range one hand can cover at. For an in-depth look at these attributes see this video:

one result of this great range in the 5ths is that there is a lot of overlap between the string sets, which means you can play true unison, and some great cluster chords and patterns.

I hope that helps.

10 string Railboard #7076 (Currently in DBR)

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:31 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
atracksler wrote:

Most folks here feel that's not the way to do it at all - developing and using reading skills is a definite "no-no".
For some reason, Scott thinks he knows how other people practice, and even what they think;)

I really like this book...

cheers

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:34 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mcgrahamhk wrote:
Thanks Greg. I'm not set on learning "piano music", merely trying to approach the Stick with a more pianist mindset. Doesn't sound like I'm that far away from Classic tuning with Raised Matched Reciprocal, so seems I'll be in the right ballpark.

Well, here's something to consider. The Matched Reciprocal tunings make a lot of sense if you are used to thinking about the instruments layout in relation to the nut. For me, I like to think about it in terms of the relationship to the inlays. With the Classic tuning, you have the same lettered note names at the first inlay marker on the bass strings as you do on the third inlay marker on the melody strings, (DAEBF#C# for both).same for the 2nd marker on the bass strings/4th marker on the melody strings (GDAEBF#)

This makes it MUCH easier to identify where the notes are in the most common playing regions of the board for each hand, and since we don't have black and white keys to guide us, this inlay correspondence is very helpful. Just my 2 cents, and I played MR on a Grand for about three years, so...

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
atracksler wrote:

For some reason, Scott thinks he knows how other people practice, and even what they think;)

I really like this book...

cheers

hahahahaha funny...

:D For some reason Greg seems to forget all of the less than supportive comments regarding sight-reading flying around here not to long ago... (Remember Madmonk?)

Plus, I have heaps of PM's from all kinds of folks telling me what's right, and what's wrong for this instrument, heck I also have 11 hours of videotaped footage of a self proclaimed "master guitarist/Stickist" telling me all kinds of things about the "proper way" to do things... Plus there are a LOT of posts I alone have made posing questions regarding playing and practice (each filled with tons of answers), so yeah I think I have the general idea of what it is that the general population does with a Stick when they practice, they have all told me over, and over again... The posts are there. Hundreds of them! So yes, I think I have the general 'gist' of what y'all do/don't do.

:D Anyways, carry on...

Here are a couple of threads that I think express the community's viewpoint pretty clearly...
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11978
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12016

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:30 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
[

hahahahaha funny...

:D For some reason Greg seems to forget all of the less than supportive comments regarding sight-reading flying around here not to long ago... (Remember Madmonk?)

Plus, I have heaps of PM's from all kinds of folks telling me what's right, and what's wrong for this instrument, heck I also have 11 hours of videotaped footage of a self proclaimed "master guitarist/Stickist" telling me all kinds of things about the "proper way" to do things... Plus there are a LOT of posts I alone have made posing questions regarding playing and practice (each filled with tons of answers), so yeah I think I have the general idea of what it is that the general population does with a Stick when they practice, they have all told me over, and over again... The posts are there. Hundreds of them! So yes, I think I have the general 'gist' of what y'all do/don't do.

Here are a couple of threads that I think express the community's viewpoint pretty clearly...

My experience of the prejudice was the reverse. The idea was advanced that, unless you are learning to sightread then you are not really learning to play music on the instrument (I believe the term "painting by numbers" was used).

Here are some facts, take them as you will. Many, many times I've written this or something equivalent.

"If your goal is primarily to read piano or keyboard music, then choosing mirrored 4ths for your tuning makes a lot of sense."

Each tuning has its own strong points and weaknesses. No weakness is greater than a player's own self-imposed limitation, however (and I include myself in that critique).

So I guess you can hold onto "the past", and you can trot it out every time someone talks about reading music on the instrument. In my opinion, you'll gain more eyes and ears on your work if you let it go...

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

greg wrote:
The Matched Reciprocal tunings make a lot of sense if you are used to thinking about the instruments layout in relation to the nut. For me, I like to think about it in terms of the relationship to the inlays. With the Classic tuning, you have the same lettered note names at the first inlay marker on the bass strings as you do on the third inlay marker on the melody strings, (DAEBF#C# for both).same for the 2nd marker on the bass strings/4th marker on the melody strings (GDAEBF#)

This makes it MUCH easier to identify where the notes are in the most common playing regions of the board for each hand, and since we don't have black and white keys to guide us, this inlay correspondence is very helpful. Just my 2 cents, and I played MR on a Grand for about three years, so...

I get you. Just had another look at the tuning layouts on stick.com to visualise how that will "feel". Without having a stick to do this on of course it's hard to say for certain and you are FAR more experienced than I, but thinking ahead with your advice in mind I may prefer to put common low notes more in proximity to one another rather than prioritise just the note names.

For example, the lowest two melody strings D and G notes are located at the 8th fret on the melody side, and these are always going to be three frets higher than the lowest D and G notes located at the 5th position on the bass side. That way I can always locate common roots and fifths as I dance around the board. I trust that makes sense? Though only time will tell!

Also, just watched your Free Hands Friday interview (#23?) and really enjoyed your input on good tone through fuller hand and finger movement. I think this ties in beautifully with your comment about the more percussive nature of the Stick as opposed to other stringed instruments.

10 string Railboard #7076 (Currently in DBR)

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:14 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Jayesskerr wrote:
[

hahahahaha funny...

My experience of the prejudice was the reverse. The idea was advanced that, unless you are learning to sightread then you are not really learning to play music on the instrument (I believe the term "painting by numbers" was used).

Here are some facts, take them as you will. Many, many times I've written this or something equivalent.

"If your goal is primarily to read piano or keyboard music, then choosing mirrored 4ths for your tuning makes a lot of sense."

Each tuning has its own strong points and weaknesses. No weakness is greater than a player's own self-imposed limitation, however (and I include myself in that critique).

So I guess you can hold onto "the past", and you can trot it out every time someone talks about reading music on the instrument. In my opinion, you'll gain more eyes and ears on your work if you let it go...

hahahaha Uh-oh, here we go, eh?

Meh, no big whup. Not from my perspective. And I bear you no ill will, but I am always happy to answer...

Just defending my original statement that's all; letting you know that I think the way I do about the community's' methodology (And there's nothing wrong with what you guys do or don't do, not saying that) because of the many, many, many things made publicly available to be read here... And there's lots more than just the two I shared...

It's not even about holding on to anything, it's just there to be read and the information available (good, bad, positive, negative) paints a definite picture in regards to the community's general viewpoint on how things "should" be done and approached. That's all...

Have a good one, Greg! :D

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:31 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next