It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:21 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 32  Next
 Any good modern sticktones? 
Post Re: Any good modern sticktones?
I've tried my darndest to get that shitty tone you guys have on the stick. The one, you know, where it sounds like you want to take a shit but really cant, and I really had to cut down on the gain to get that same constepated sound of a muffled churchorgan. Smells Like Teen Pussy:

http://picosong.com/wyYH5

According to the same lame restrictions you place on yourself with the stick. Till I got bored and didn't want to play it anymore. Now, I'd like you to take this aptly named song Suicide Solution (baby!) and please inform me how you tap your ass off with simple hammers while hitting the open string note on the riff:

http://picosong.com/wyYHd/

Thank you in advance!

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:33 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

grozoeil wrote:
Tritone's comeback! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (stickist.com official joke)

I was thinking the same thing.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
All the above is on guitar, of course. Two hands. One man. 1 guitar. Fucking Far Me Beyond the Sun on your stick now!

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:34 am
Godsmonkey wrote:
grozoeil wrote:
Tritone's comeback! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (stickist.com official joke)

I was thinking the same thing.

Stop pulling me leg!!! You're not capable of thinking. LOL. But hilarious post! LOL. Great irony!

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:35 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

tapmasterflash wrote:
I've tried my darndest to get that shitty tone you guys have on the stick. The one, you know, where it sounds like you want to take a shit but really cant, and I really had to cut down on the gain to get that same constepated sound of a muffled churchorgan. Smells Like Teen Pussy:

According to the same lame restrictions you place on yourself with the stick. Till I got bored and didn't want to play it anymore. Now, I'd like you to take this aptly named song Suicide Solution (baby!) and please inform me how you tap your ass off with simple hammers while hitting the open string note on the riff:

Thank you in advance!

Well the tapmasterflash did post a couple songs. So kudos there for not being the troll we all assumed.

I found the SLTS to have an interesting down tempo - lowfi vibe to it, I was not blown away by either tone or technique. The second track, however just sounded like noodling to me.

I also have to question: You've been critical of everyone's tone and technique, yet when you posted the songs, you said you tried to emulate "that shitty tone you guys have on the stick." Wasn't the point to show us GOOD tone, not "shitty Stick tone"? I'm not clear on the logic there

I was expecting John Petrucci, but got Bar Hero Joe. But still kudos for playing.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Godsmonkey wrote:
tapmasterflash wrote:

Thank you in advance!

Well the tapmasterflash did post a couple songs. So kudos there for not being the troll we all assumed.

I found the SLTS to have an interesting down tempo - lowfi vibe to it, I was not blown away by either tone or technique. The second track, however just sounded like noodling to me.

I also have to question: You've been critical of everyone's tone and technique, yet when you posted the songs, you said you tried to emulate "that shitty tone you guys have on the stick." Wasn't the point to show us GOOD tone, not "shitty Stick tone"? I'm not clear on the logic there

I was expecting John Petrucci, but got Bar Hero Joe. But still kudos for playing.

Well, if you want John P, why aren't we on a guitar forum already? Right? Where's your John P of the stick? Hey, I asked YOU how to get good tone on the stick. You did not reply. So I tried to get that shitty sticktone on my guitar. Or am I supposed to invent great tone on the stick? After 5 posts? Fuck me. How did that happen?

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:53 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

tapmasterflash wrote:
All the above is on guitar, of course. Two hands. One man. 1 guitar. Fucking Far Me Beyond the Sun on your stick now!

And multiple tracks to play it. In Afro-Circuses case, he played all the parts at the same time, on video. Yours is clearly picked, and a couple parts.

As I said in an earlier post, the stick is NOT a bass and guitar on one fretboard. Accept it as its own thing, and maybe you will appreciate it more.

Meanwhile if you're happy with your tone and technique on guitar, then by all means follow your musical path. But to shit on everyone else is pointless, except perhaps to make you feel better with what appears to an outsider like me to be void and unhappy.

Best of luck to you.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I dunno man, the attack on all those notes in SLTS sounds pretty plucked to me. That and no video, I'm not convinced you didn't just record two guitar parts. No video camera? You got a phone.

As for the 2nd one, that's definitely 2 guitars. Any kid who's played guitar for 3 years can play Eruption. I expected better. This wouldn't be hard to play both parts on the Stick. The left hand plays the power chords on the bass side and uses the pinky to reach across the treble side to act as a temporary capo to make an "open string" while the right hand does the noodle-y stuff up top. I'll post a video demonstrating what I mean later.

What a let down after such a glorious build up.

http://www.patreon.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/GEPHband
http://www.facebook.com/thebodyenglish
http://www.facebook.com/theafrocircus

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:56 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

tapmasterflash wrote:

Well, if you want John P, why aren't we on a guitar forum already? Right? Where's your John P of the stick? Hey, I asked YOU how to get good tone on the stick. You did not reply. So I tried to get that shitty sticktone on my guitar. Or am I supposed to invent great tone on the stick? After 5 posts? Fuck me. How did that happen?

Your initial request was asking for examples of great tone from the stick. Several people offered up samples of what they feel is good tone. as for HOW to get Stick tones, there are TONS of threads about gear. Most stickists use standard guitar gear, and much of it high end. I myself use a VG99 on the melody most times, with an Ampeg SCR-DI and a compressor on the bass, sometimes adding a Big Muff. I then go out to a pair of EV monitors.

If you want a serious discussion on how to use effects on the Stick, I'm sure people will be happy to help. Continuing however, to be adversarial, isn't going to get you anywhere.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:01 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
The_Afro_Circus wrote:
I dunno man, the attack on all those notes in SLTS sounds pretty plucked to me. That and no video, I'm not convinced you didn't just record two guitar parts. No video camera? You got a phone.

As for the 2nd one, that's definitely 2 guitars. Any kid who's played guitar for 3 years can play Eruption. I expected better. This wouldn't be hard to play both parts on the Stick. The left hand plays the power chords on the bass side and uses the pinky to reach across the treble side to act as a temporary capo to make an "open string" while the right hand does the noodle-y stuff up top. I'll post a video demonstrating what I mean later.

What a let down after such a glorious build up.

So stop theorizing and being all anal about it and play the two parts on your stick. Oh, I'll get to video. You just have to deserve it. Make it worth my while. Woo me. Impress me, motherfucker. All you've impressed me with so far is an enormous amount of text that I think you post to uphold your status here without playing anything. Then we can get to talking about where I hold my thumb and how I use or don 't use the pick. Look forward to your videos, my illiterate Mexican friend!

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:02 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 32  Next