It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:07 pm

Moving GK-2a pickup from Alto to Railboard? 

Post Moving GK-2a pickup from Alto to Railboard?
Does anyone know if it would be possible to take a Roland GK-2a pickup from an Alto Stick and put it on a Railboard? The GK-2a was the model preceding the GK-3 pickup and is pretty similar. The GK-2a on the Alto in question is one of the specially configured Roland Stick pickups, so that is not the issue.

What I’m wondering about is the difference in string spacing between the Alto and the Railboard. Will that be a problem? I have read that the Roland MIDI pickups are specially configured for Stick string spacing - but since the Railboard string spacing (it’s a 10-string Railboard) is wider than Alto string spacing, will it be possible to put the pickup on the Railboard? Thanks!

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:35 pm

Post Re: Moving GK-2a pickup from Alto to Railboard?
Here are two photos from the Hotshots Gallery of the GK-2a pickup on an NS/Stick, in case you’ve never seen one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:41 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

The GK pickups that you get installed from SE are customized to the string spacing. In the NS picture, the ones under the two lower strings are spaced differently. Even if the higher string set ones were correct for the 10-string, the spacing isn't even across the set. Usually when you get the GK for a 10-string, the 6th pickup element is removed.

I think the string spacing is generally noted for each instrument on the website, but your best bet is to contact SE.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:23 am

Thank you for this explanation. I was hoping that this would not be the case, but it sounds like it is, that the string spacing makes the difference, even between different types of Sticks. I’ll contact SE and ask them, then.

I’ll be curious to know if they can alter the string spacing configuration on such a pickup once it’s already previously been done for a different Stick. I guess that even if it doesn’t work, I could perhaps put the Roland pickup on my 10-string wooden Stick, since the spacing should be the same as on the Alto.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:33 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Just realized I misunderstood and got side-tracked by the NS pictures! The main thing I noticed with the NS is that it's not even, since the lower strings have a wider spacing.

Swapping from an Alto to a 10-string wooden Stick would work.

I don't know if / how the Railboard spacing affects the GK install, definitely check with SE.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:20 pm

Thanks, I’ll ask SE about the Railboard. Hopefully the somewhat wider string spacing of the Railboard will be within acceptable limits, such that it would be possible to put the pickup on it. I’d definitely prefer to put it on the Railboard because I play it much more often than my wooden stick. I’ve really become hooked on the feel of the Railboard - I especially love the feel of the scalloped back of the neck. But if it doesn’t work, I’ll just have them put it on the wooden stick.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 pm
Contributor
Contributor

there are some descriptions (Roland) on the web (I remember also a youtube video) how to change the change the spacing on the pickup.
the GK2/3 were initially built for guitars, and every guitar has a different string spacing, so it is possible.

Railboard MR #6549
Grand Stick Classic #1697

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:04 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gerald: This is possible with factory GK pickup, but not with those from SE. IMHO Emmett doesn't process factory GK pickups, but creates / orders new ones by combining them with the GK preamplifier. The SE pickup is better made because it is now flooded with epoxy, so there is no risk that something will break or descend like in a factory. However, the disadvantage of this solution, is that you don't open them such a factory pickup without the risk of destroying the coils.

LeftyChris: 10 string Stick / Alto spacing is 0.320. Railboard have 0.340 string spacing. On 5 strings it gives 0.080 difference. Hexaphonic pickups are built that the string is in the center of the coil. With this difference of string spacing after postponing GK pickup from Alto, the extreme strings in your Railboard will be on the edge of the coils. In practice, if you well calibrate your GR / VG equipment it will work, but in theory it is certainly not a recommended solution.

If you already have a GK pickup in Alto then why not just try test it on Railbord?

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery