It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 am

NS Stick vs 8 string Railboard? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post NS Stick vs 8 string Railboard?
Just a question to owners hopefully someone that may have both? Looking to see what the tapping experience is like on both? What was your criteria for choosing one over the other etc.. Off list I've heard some critiques mentioning NS tapping/playability being different than Stick?

I've never had a chance to play an NS so I'm really in the dark here.
(I'm still playing etc.. just have been off the forum for several months)

Pete.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: NS Stick vs 8 string Railboard?
Hey Pete,

Unbeknownst to you I am a big fan of yours or as much as I can be by watching your videos 8-).
To answer your question as best as I can, not having an eight string Railboard I would say
that the big difference between the two is that the NS neck tapers the same
way a guitar or bass guitar get's wider as it goes toward the body (and as the frets get
more narrow :?). Kidding aside this is a big difference especially for a seasoned player.

I guess it would depend on what you want with the critical question being, do you want
your string set up with the bass descending as opposed to ascending. With an eight instrument
I think you would want them descending. Obvious perhaps but crucial non the less.

The "tapping" difference between the two has to do both with the question above and also
that there is a limitation with having only eight strings which I think is why Emmett kicked
it up to 10 and then to twelve. But with eight the tendency is to play more with the right hand
fingertips facing the melody strings (four strings four finger(tips). That would be more Tony Levin style with the instrument more horizontal rather that vertical "Free Hands" style. But why is this? Because with eight strings you need to traverse the fret board up and down the neck moving the hand and arm as opposed to traveling up the scale via the strings with the hand more or less in one place.

All the notes are there either way but with the skill set you have, you are already in the drivers seat with the Free Hands technique.
I would say race car driver. How about this as a nut shell; if you want to play covers get
the 12 string Railboard. But if you want a different way to explore the tapping world
and to invent new music get the NS.

As far as NS vs eight string Railboard :geek:, Both would be cool :twisted:. Speaking of cool
Railboards are noticeably "cool" in a colder environment but you probably would not notice
in Phoenix. Thinking that way though, the Railboard might be more stable with temperature change and humidity where you live :|.

I hope that helps to answer your questions. The differences are actually pretty complex.

*j*
.~
jRj

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Last edited by JRJ on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:38 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

JRJ wrote:
Hey Pete,

Unbeknownst to you I am a big fan of yours or as much as I can be by watching your videos 8-).
To answer your question as best as I can, not having an eight string Railboard I would say
that the big difference between the two is that the Railboard's neck tapers the same
way a guitar or bass guitar get's wider as it goes toward the body (and as the frets get
more narrow :?). Kidding aside this is a big difference especially for a seasoned player.

I guess it would depend on what you want with the critical question being, do you want
your string set up with the bass descending as opposed to ascending. With an eight instrument
I think you would want them descending. Obvious perhaps but crucial non the less.

The "tapping" difference between the two has to do both with the question above and also
that there is a limitation with having only eight strings which I think is why Emmett kicked
it up to 10 and then to twelve. But with eight the tendency is to play more with the right hand
fingertips facing the melody strings (four strings four finger(tips). That would be more Tony Levin style with the instrument more horizontal rather that vertical "Free Hands" style. But why is this? Because with eight strings you need to traverse the fret board up and down the neck moving the hand and arm as opposed to traveling up the scale via the strings with the hand more or less in one place.

All the notes are there either way but with the skill set you have, you are already in the drivers seat with the Free Hands technique.
I would say race car driver. How about this as a nut shell; if you want to play covers get
the 12 string Railboard. But if you want a different way to explore the tapping world
and to invent new music get the NS.

As far as NS vs eight string Railboard :geek:, Both would be cool :twisted:. Speaking of cool
Railboards are noticeably "cool" in a colder environment but you probably would not notice
in Phoenix. Thinking that way though, the Railboard might be more stable with temperature change and humidity where you live :|.

I hope that helps to answer your questions. The differences are actually pretty complex.

*j*
.~
jRj

Pleasant surprise sir! Thanks!

Yea good points about climate etc.. I've been watching a lot of Tony lately actually I like his Stick bass on Liquid Tension Experiment for sure. but I think I'd go with descending 8 as I'm toying with the id of using the twin neck for most songs but I'd like to do some more "bass heavy" things and the twin neck was not designed for that at all. The shiny look of the 8 string railboard really hit me today on the Stick website! I think I'd rather do something like this rather than sink money into a standard high end Bass.

Gathering data.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I edited my post, the Railboard neck does not "taper" rather the NS neck get's wider like a guitar. Sorry about that :oops: It would be good if you corrected the quote.

I have taken a new interest in TL recently as well. In the past I have had a somewhat negative bias about his style because it is not really Free Hands and I think a Stick Player who is inspired to get into the Stick because of Tony might get a little side tracked because that style is two handed 'interdependent' and not two hands 'independent'. Once you get some independence going then Tony's style is appealing as an adjunct and complementary, almost ornamental spice.

jRj

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

JRJ wrote:
The "tapping" difference between the two has to do both with the question above and also that there is a limitation with having only eight strings which I think is why Emmett kicked it up to 10 and then to twelve.

This confuses me, given the following excerpts from the Timeline of Stick Advancements:
  • 12-90 First three Grand Sticks®.
  • 7-91 First commercial production of Grand Sticks.
  • 8-97 First NS/Stick™ prototype.
  • 3-98 Stick Bass® SB8™ with The Block® ACTV-2™ pickup module with 2 active EMG-FTs.
  • 2-00 First NS/Stick dual role tapping/plucking guitar basses.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:18 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
JRJ wrote:
The "tapping" difference between the two has to do both with the question above and also that there is a limitation with having only eight strings which I think is why Emmett kicked it up to 10 and then to twelve.

This confuses me, given the following excerpts from the Timeline of Stick Advancements:
  • 12-90 First three Grand Sticks®.
  • 7-91 First commercial production of Grand Sticks.
  • 8-97 First NS/Stick™ prototype.
  • 3-98 Stick Bass® SB8™ with The Block® ACTV-2™ pickup module with 2 active EMG-FTs.
  • 2-00 First NS/Stick dual role tapping/plucking guitar basses.

Even today as far as I know Emmett still prefers the ten string to the 12. People in the
Stick community requested the 12 string. So there is a 16 year reign of the 10 string Stick before the 12 string came on the scene. But if I understand your confusion I think that if you go back further in the time line you will find that the original prototypes
of "The Stick" were guitar-like and less than 10 strings. So when i say that " Emmett kicked it up to 10 and then to twelve." that is what I am referring to.

To jump a little deeper into what I was trying to say and of course this is a personal
thing but it relates to my view about Tony Levin and that his technique is not the
best style to emulate for beginners. Along the same lines 'The Stick' is so revolutionary that it is wise to learn The Stick and the technique before you try the NS because the NS is so cool
that you can get a little drunk on it, it is like a guitar, and familiar, it's easier to learn, so much so, you might not ever take the time to learn to play the Stick.
jRj
*j*
.~

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:19 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Quote:

I thought "kicked it up to ten" was a reference to the time before The Stick was created, when Emmett was experimenting by adding strings to his guitar. After those experiments, The Stick was born with 10 strings.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:33 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Emmett still makes a Stick bass. 8 strings tuned any way you want. (like inverted 5ths)

Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Are there any SB8 owners out there that have any videos? I've only seen 2 one was a demo by Don Schiff that was under 2 minutes and one other by a player I'm unfamiliar with.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Google “stick bass 8” and then click on ‘videos’. There are a few there.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:44 pm