It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 pm

Serial numbers and years 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Serial numbers and years
bholder wrote:
So is this rare / valuable enough that I should not do a minor mod to install a switch to route both outputs to the jack tip for mono output? Seems simple enough and reversible, other than leaving a small hole in the side of the pickup housing. I already opened it up and checked inside - plenty of empty room to do what I want. It would just be so much nicer to be able to route the whole signal through the GK-2A "normal guitar" input so that I can control it and use the effects portion of the GR-55 on it. (Right now, I only get the bass side signal there, which has uses certainly, but I'd like it to be switchable for both in mono.)

One workaround is to have a mono cable with an stereo jack on one side in which you wire Tip and Ring together. That way you get the stereo output of the stick to a mono cable and plug it into a single channel amp, or to the GK-2A pickup input. This is what I do and it works great. The idea of installing a mono switch is also simple and valid, but the other is simpler and maybe even cheaper (we're taking about cents or a couple of bucks).

bholder wrote:
Would that ruin any "vintage" resale value? (Not that I'm planning on selling, I hope to have this until I die.)

If you really want to keep it forever, then the resale value should not be an issue at all. If it were, a simple mod like you're describing should not be a problem for most people, as this small mod is an additional option and does not stop you from using and playing the stick as it was designed. And if it were, I guess the next person can always order a new pickup from SE and replaced the old one. Maybe a collector or someone who wants a vintage stick 100% original would see this as a negative thing.

Bottom line, try the cable first and if you feel that it's too much hassle or not comfortable or not quick enough, I'd say go for the switch.
Hope this helps!

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:46 am

waltschwarzkopf wrote:
bholder wrote:
So is this rare / valuable enough that I should not do a minor mod to install a switch to route both outputs to the jack tip for mono output? Seems simple enough and reversible, other than leaving a small hole in the side of the pickup housing. I already opened it up and checked inside - plenty of empty room to do what I want. It would just be so much nicer to be able to route the whole signal through the GK-2A "normal guitar" input so that I can control it and use the effects portion of the GR-55 on it. (Right now, I only get the bass side signal there, which has uses certainly, but I'd like it to be switchable for both in mono.)

One workaround is to have a mono cable with an stereo jack on one side in which you wire Tip and Ring together. That way you get the stereo output of the stick to a mono cable and plug it into a single channel amp, or to the GK-2A pickup input. This is what I do and it works great. The idea of installing a mono switch is also simple and valid, but the other is simpler and maybe even cheaper (we're taking about cents or a couple of bucks).

bholder wrote:
Would that ruin any "vintage" resale value? (Not that I'm planning on selling, I hope to have this until I die.)

If you really want to keep it forever, then the resale value should not be an issue at all. If it were, a simple mod like you're describing should not be a problem for most people, as this small mod is an additional option and does not stop you from using and playing the stick as it was designed. And if it were, I guess the next person can always order a new pickup from SE and replaced the old one. Maybe a collector or someone who wants a vintage stick 100% original would see this as a negative thing.

Bottom line, try the cable first and if you feel that it's too much hassle or not comfortable or not quick enough, I'd say go for the switch.
Hope this helps!

Thanks! I started with the "switch on cable" idea, but that meant hacking 3-4 different cables I might use for different setups, so I decided to go ahead and just build it in. Haven't done the soldering yet, but a cosmetic / fit test reassembly is looking good:

Attachment:
stickswitch.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grand Stick #1406
10 string Kevin Siebold "teflon" (non-Stick)

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:59 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

That came out pretty nice, besides pickups can always be swapped out if it was desired to go back to a stock arrangement.
I'm glad you posted the picture, as I was curious as to how this was going to look/come out...

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:17 am

Big George Waters wrote:
That came out pretty nice, besides pickups can always be swapped out if it was desired to go back to a stock arrangement.
I'm glad you posted the picture, as I was curious as to how this was going to look/come out...

Thanks! Didn't come out half bad, now soldered in and put back together and working perfectly. Unexpected side benefit (obvious, just didn't think ahead for that side), it's also a mute switch for the treble side when a stereo / balanced cable is plugged in.

Grand Stick #1406

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:06 am

And I probably should've checked sooner, but it still fits (barely) into the flight case. :mrgreen:

Grand Stick #1406

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:26 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

baggetthouse wrote:
I know this topic has been discussed here over the years, and on the old Stickwire email list. But, I can't find those references to point you towards.

Basically: in 1974 it started with Stick #101 and went to the upper 2000s by 1990-91. Emmett started over with #001 in the early 90s with the creation of the Stick's new truss rod (and adjustable bridge?).

Therefore, there are two Sticks with the numbers #101-2000something. My 10-string Maple laminate Stick is #1283, built in 1996 (with truss, adjustable bridge, fret rods, etc). But there is a #1283 Ironwood from 1984 out there somewhere.

Sticks are now in the #6000s. And there are no #3000s Sticks...I forget the reason why. Something about catching up the serial number to the amount of Stick in existence, I think.

And I don't know how NS Sticks fit into this, if they have their own numbering system.

And...I think Railboads simply have an "R" with it's number.

Hope this helps...

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:20 am